Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 140

Thread: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    if you are going to be beaten to death anyway, how is it worse to have a gun and take one or more of your attackers with you?
    What? My point is that there are many possible scenarios. One of those scenarios is that your find (the current one), another is that you get beaten to death, another is that you pull out a gun and then your entire family gets shot. It isn't a dichotomy of "get beaten to death" or "get shot to death". There are many possibilities and the possibility remains that having a gun would have gotten his entire family killed instead of just getting off with some bruises like he did in reality.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    All hell had already broke loose. As the police arrived, the victim was struggling with one of the criminals that was trying to shoot him. If the victim had a gun, maybe he could have scared the mob away. Without one, he was clearly a sitting duck just waiting to be shot.
    Opinion noted. Here's another possibility: he had a gun, situation escalates, he and his family die. Nothing that you've had does anything to stop that from being a possibility.

    Why is it so hard for people to admit that a gun can make a situation worse? This coming from a person who grew up with guns in my house which were there for the purpose of protecting my family from situations like this.

  3. #63
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What? My point is that there are many possible scenarios. One of those scenarios is that your find (the current one), another is that you get beaten to death, another is that you pull out a gun and then your entire family gets shot. It isn't a dichotomy of "get beaten to death" or "get shot to death". There are many possibilities and the possibility remains that having a gun would have gotten his entire family killed instead of just getting off with some bruises like he did in reality.
    so you are going to argue that if the cops hadn't shown up, it is a realistic scenario that no one in the home would've been severely beaten or killed?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #64
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Opinion noted. Here's another possibility: he had a gun, situation escalates, he and his family die. Nothing that you've had does anything to stop that from being a possibility.

    Why is it so hard for people to admit that a gun can make a situation worse? This coming from a person who grew up with guns in my house which were there for the purpose of protecting my family from situations like this.
    all of your scenarios are predicated on the faulty assumption that the situation was not going to escalate anyway. it was already escalating
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    I prefer no one except police and the armed forces have guns. Since that can't be the case, I'd prefer very few guns as opposed to more guns being in public circulation. I often read people saying "If he were armed...." that bravado is based completely on that person having the superior firepower. The often neglected fact is if more guns are out there, more people will have it, not just the "good guys". The result could potentially be more people killed, not just and "bad guys". In fact, the "bad guys" are more interested in superior firepower and more willing to take someone's like (thus making them the bad guys). So I'd wager more "good guys" will end up dead.
    Then you would prefer to be a victim.

    ALL the gun owners I know (ALL law abiding) practice regularly and maintain their weapon and know how to use it. Most if not all criminals never practice and barley know enough to pull the trigger let alone do any maintenance and get all their knowledge from their equally ignorant friends.

    If that was me and my home first pound on the door they would have been warned, first foot through the door the first shots get fired and not stopped until the threat is gone. Because in a mob like the one described I would consider it a life or death situation and act accordingly.

    It's not as you say being an internet tough guy, it's just simple statement of fact. I prefer to stand my ground and fight, and not whimper in a corner hoping for the benevolence of the mob. If you do good luck with that.

  6. #66
    User Anonymous1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-28-11 @ 07:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Why is it so hard for people to admit that a gun can make a situation worse? This coming from a person who grew up with guns in my house which were there for the purpose of protecting my family from situations like this.
    You can also die from an overdose of water. I'm not saying guns make people magically infallible. I'm saying they save lives more often than not in life threatening situations. And, that government doesn't have a right to make that determination for individuals. It is the individual at risk, not the government.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    all of your scenarios are predicated on the faulty assumption that the situation was not going to escalate anyway. it was already escalating
    i can't even answer this because i don't know how to begin with such a poor analysis of the scenarios i presented.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    You can also die from an overdose of water. I'm not saying guns make people magically infallible. I'm saying they save lives more often than not in life threatening situations. And, that government doesn't have a right to make that determination for individuals. It is the individual at risk, not the government.
    None of this has anything to do with anything I've said. My point has been to say that many scenarios can happen - the gun could have be good or bad or neutral - and that's it's stupid to ignore certain potential outcomes.

  9. #69
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Like the founders! Those pussies. I bet they could have worked out their differences with the British over tea.
    Too bad we aren't back in those days, then your comment would have some relevance.

    People carry guns out of fear. Plain and simple. You're not brave because have a gun. This entire notion that strength is related to a firearm sickens me.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  10. #70
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Too bad we aren't back in those days, then your comment would have some relevance.

    People carry guns out of fear. Plain and simple. You're not brave because have a gun. This entire notion that strength is related to a firearm sickens me.
    The notion that you attribute the carrying of firearms with wanting to appear strong sickens me. Do people who carry optional fire, flood, or theft insurance sicken you to? Shame on people for preparing for and attempting to mitigate as many harmful situations as possible! Those dirty cowards!
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •