Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 140

Thread: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

  1. #91
    User Anonymous1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-28-11 @ 07:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Hint: When you enter a conversation that two other people are having, figure out what they're talking about before you respond. I don't need to waste my time responding to someone who doesn't even know what I'm arguing.
    Hint: I read everything related to the conversation and responded appropriately. If there's something you feel I misunderstood, feel free to debate. You are just muddying the waters now as you retreat from your flawed arguments. Next . . .
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

  2. #92
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    What exactly about my comments were obtuse?
    You intentionally tried to portray insurance as "fear based" in order to further your opinion that people only carry guns out of fear. Intentional misrepresentation is pretty obtuse, if you ask me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Where did I claim to know the mind of anyone? In fact, it was you and others that made erroneous claims about liberals and myself being a victim. Pure fantasy.
    By accusing all gun owners of only carrying guns for one reason, fear, you presume to know the thought process of anyone who picks up a weapon in self-defense. this isn't exactly hard to follow here. When you speak in generalities, you'd better be able to back them up.

    Btw, you are in fact incorrect, if you believe I called anyone a victim or attacked anyone's political bias in this thread. However, since you like playing the quote game, feel free to post any excerpts of mine from this thread that you believe support your baseless accusation.

    I'll wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    If you believe I said anyone carrying a gun is a coward, you'll need to copy and paste that for us. If so, I'll apologize.
    Most recently, you threw out this little gem:

    People carry guns out of fear. Plain and simple. You're not brave because have a gun. This entire notion that strength is related to a firearm sickens me.
    So...anyone carrying a gun is doing so out of fear. You gave no other alternatives. They are hoping that the gun will give them some sort of "strength." That's what your words say, right?

    …which brings us to the earlier quote:

    BTW, only cowards rely on guns to make them strong.
    Now let's look at your views together. So people only carry guns out of fear, to appear stronger. People who rely on those guns to appear stronger are actually cowards. According to your logic citizens who carry guns, do so because they are actually cowards.

    I'll wait patiently for the apology you promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Please quote it. Quote the entire post so it's not out of context.
    I prefer no one except police and the armed forces have guns. Since that can't be the case, I'd prefer very few guns as opposed to more guns being in public circulation...
    I'm not going to humor you by posting the whole thread. The statement stands alone, there's nothing else required to interpret that.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    Hint: I read everything related to the conversation and responded appropriately. If there's something you feel I misunderstood, feel free to debate. You are just muddying the waters now as you retreat from your flawed arguments. Next . . .
    You have 35 posts and you've already proven to be someone who congratulates himself for not knowing what the hell he's talking about.

    My argument has always been: guns can be good or bad and that's it's stupid to deny that. Please explain what's flawed about that and also explain why you assumed that I was arguing against gun use earlier.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    That's where you're wrong. I'm not calling for disarming America. I'm simply voicing an opinion that guns do not automatically help when you have an intruder/s.

    Do I think it would better if that were the case? Yes. Guns make weak people strong and brave. Brave men do not need guns to be brave as the gentleman in the article proved. That was a true display of strength and courage.

    But in regard to this particular incident, I simply stated that having more firearms floating around in the general populace would not be a good thing. The situation in the article would be ended rather badly if more of them had guns (good and bad).
    They guy in the article? The one who got chased into his home, his home broken into, beaten with a blunt weapon, a gun held to his head, and if not for the mere coincidence of the police having responded quickly enough most likely dead and who knows about his family. That guy?

    You seem to want people to play the good little victim and if luck is on their side, perhaps they can live. But not everyone thinks like that. Others would rather have the ability to protect their own tomorrow, to choose their own lot in life and not forced to suffer the slings and arrows of victim-hood. The whole "pray you don't get killed" method of defense is flimsier than the Bears offensive line.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #95
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    You intentionally tried to portray insurance as "fear based" in order to further your opinion that people only carry guns out of fear. Intentional misrepresentation is pretty obtuse, if you ask me.
    Here's exactly what I stated....

    Nice twisting there. Fire, flood and theft insurance doesn't require you to kill someone. Prattling on about what you would do if that were you is just fantasy and empty bravado.

    Insurance is a fear based industry. That's a fact.


    What's obtuse about that? Exactly, nothing. Either you didn't understand it or your back to creating strawmen to be pissy about. It's tiresome and boring.

    By accusing all gun owners of only carrying guns for one reason, fear, you presume to know the thought process of anyone who picks up a weapon in self-defense. this isn't exactly hard to follow here. When you speak in generalities, you'd better be able to back them up.
    Read my signature line. Fear isn't a bad thing and you're not a coward if you feel it. Our discussion was about people carrying a firearm for protection. They are carrying it out of fear.. thus they have to protect themselves from something that hasn't even occurred. How this is confusing to you is beyond me.

    Btw, you are in fact incorrect, if you believe I called anyone a victim or attacked anyone's political bias in this thread. However, since you like playing the quote game, feel free to post any excerpts of mine from this thread that you believe support your baseless accusation.
    In that was I incorrect and apologize for the accusation.
    Most recently, you threw out this little gem:
    So...anyone carrying a gun is doing so out of fear. You gave no other alternatives. They are hoping that the gun will give them some sort of "strength." That's what your words say, right?

    …which brings us to the earlier quote:

    Now let's look at your views together. So people only carry guns out of fear, to appear stronger. People who rely on those guns to appear stronger are actually cowards. According to your logic citizens who carry guns, do so because they are actually cowards.
    Sorry, no apology to give as you simply don't understand. I don't consider a person feeling fear a coward. That's your own person interpretation.

    People who run to guns for FEAR that someone will storm their home and murder them does so out of FEAR. Insurance as an industry is FEAR BASED, as you purchase it for fear some problem will arise and you will require it.

    Just because you have a problem with the word FEAR doesn't mean I do.
    Last edited by Tettsuo; 09-27-11 at 06:04 PM.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  6. #96
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They guy in the article? The one who got chased into his home, his home broken into, beaten with a blunt weapon, a gun held to his head, and if not for the mere coincidence of the police having responded quickly enough most likely dead and who knows about his family. That guy?

    You seem to want people to play the good little victim and if luck is on their side, perhaps they can live. But not everyone thinks like that. Others would rather have the ability to protect their own tomorrow, to choose their own lot in life and not forced to suffer the slings and arrows of victim-hood. The whole "pray you don't get killed" method of defense is flimsier than the Bears offensive line.
    How about instead of fantasizing about what I think, you ask me. I don't seem to want anything. I in fact stated quite plainly what I think. Having a gun doesn't not make you safer if everyone has a gun. How is that confusing to you? How is that confusing to anyone here? That man didn't have a gun, was he a victim?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  7. #97
    User Anonymous1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-28-11 @ 07:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You have 35 posts and you've already proven to be someone who congratulates himself for not knowing what the hell he's talking about.
    That's your false assumption. Your oversight or lack of understanding does not translate to my confusion. It's really unimportant at this point. Although, it's clear you'd rather waste everyone's time on such irrelvance. When you have no good arguments against gun rights, you obstruct the thread through baseless accusations of false persecutions.

    Try reading back through what I said and show me exactly where I misunderstood you. It's your claim, now prove it or drop it.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    My argument has always been: guns can be good or bad and that's it's stupid to deny that.
    I never denied that. It's just another way of saying -- guns don't kill people, people kill people -- a saying common among gun rights proponents.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

  8. #98
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Here's exactly what I stated....

    Nice twisting there. Fire, flood and theft insurance doesn't require you to kill someone. Prattling on about what you would do if that were you is just fantasy and empty bravado.

    Insurance is a fear based industry. That's a fact.


    What's obtuse about that? Exactly, nothing. Either you didn't understand it or your back to creating strawmen to be pissy about. It's tiresome and boring.


    Read my signature line. Fear isn't a bad thing and you're not a coward if you feel it.


    In that was I incorrect and apologize for the accusation.

    Sorry, no apology to give as you simply don't understand. I don't consider a person feeling fear a coward. That's your own person interpretation.

    People who run to guns for FEAR that someone will storm their home and murder them does so out of FEAR. Insurance as an industry is FEAR BASED, as you purchase it for fear some problem will arise and you will require it.

    Just because you have a problem with the word FEAR doesn't mean I do.
    I only have a problem with your broad, sweeping generalizations and panicked backpeddling. As you so politely told another poster "Man up"

    You know what you said, and what you meant, now you're trying to cover yourself. Your trolling needs work. I recommend practicing it on another board.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  9. #99
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    I only have a problem with your broad, sweeping generalizations and panicked backpeddling.
    I've not backpeddled... minus accusing you of calling me a victim of course. Which I apologized for.
    As you so politely told another poster "Man up"
    Which has nothing to do with backpeddling or making a broad sweeping generalization. He needed to "Man up" address his hypocrisy about me insulting him yet he felt free to insult me first. Men take responsibility for their words and deeds. Thus... Man the **** up.

    You know what you said, and what you meant, now you're trying to cover yourself. Your trolling needs work. I recommend practicing it on another board.
    You lost this round and now your calling victory to cover your ass. You need to man up too. At least I was man enough to admit my error. Are you?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    When you have no good arguments against gun rights
    My very first post in this thread was in support of gun rights and I never made a single argument against gun rights. With this single sentence you inadvertently admitted that you didn't read my posts, didn't follow the conversation and are now blaming me for you failure. Good luck with that.

    I never denied that. It's just another way of saying -- guns don't kill people, people kill people -- a saying common among gun rights proponents.
    And yet that's been my only argument which you called "flawed".

    In sum, you accuse me of arguing against gun rights when I actually argued in support of them and you accused my arguments of being flawed when you agree with them. Complete fail. Try harder.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •