Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    BAY MINETTE, Alabama -- Non-violent offenders in Bay Minette now have a choice some would call simple: do time behind bars or work off the sentence in church.
    What if the offender is an atheist? For this reason, I believe that this is unconstitutional. Community service? OK, that is good, but not something where the government is uncontitutionally forcing religion down someone's throat. Let the offender bust bricks or something instead.

    Article is here
    .

    Discussion?
    Last edited by danarhea; 09-26-11 at 05:47 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What if the offender is an atheist? For this reason, I believe that this is unconstitutional. Community service? OK, that is good, but not something where the government is uncontitutionally forcing religion down someone's throat. Let the offender bust bricks or something instead.

    Article is here
    .
    of course it's unconstitutional, but it's the south, right?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #3
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    How is it unconstitutional? They are giving the choice. So nobody is forcing anything.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  4. #4
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Hell yeah follow the liberal lead here get caught with a joint .. throw that bastard in jail for a year and a day .. so he doesn't end up in a county jail, let him have a year with rapists, killers, robbers, and those kinda criminals, I'm sure liberals agree, thats going to leave the guy/girl better off then doing work around a church


    Ya just gotta love liberals .. they bitch about our jails, then bitch about alternatives
    '

  5. #5
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Hell yeah follow the liberal lead here … get caught with a joint .. throw that bastard in jail for a year and a day .. so he doesn't end up in a county jail, let him have a year with rapists, killers, robbers, and those kinda criminals, I'm sure liberals agree, thats going to leave the guy/girl better off then doing work around a church …


    Ya just gotta love liberals .. they bitch about our jails, then bitch about alternatives
    '
    So, do you have anything of substance to add?

    Personally, I think that this is wrong as there is clearly a separation of church and state in the Constitution. I think that instead of working at a church, non-violent offenders should have to do general community service.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #6
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What if the offender is an atheist? For this reason, I believe that this is unconstitutional. Community service? OK, that is good, but not something where the government is uncontitutionally forcing religion down someone's throat. Let the offender bust bricks or something instead.

    Article is here
    .

    Discussion?
    day late and a dollar short. I did a thread on this last week
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    I support it. You rarely hear about overcrowding in church. Besides, the most common reason I'm hearing when it comes to prison reformation is "I found God".

    Why not bypass the 4x7 room and the prison rape?

  8. #8
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What if the offender is an atheist? For this reason, I believe that this is unconstitutional. Community service? OK, that is good, but not something where the government is uncontitutionally forcing religion down someone's throat. Let the offender bust bricks or something instead.

    Article is here
    .

    Discussion?
    I would agree that it's unconstitutional if it specifically must be a church. However, I would wholeheartedly support this idea if it was open to any community-based organization (religious organizations, non-profit organizations, etc). Frankly our criminal justice system is a disgrace and prison is used FAR too much. Although this particular implementation of the law is unconstitutional, it's well-intentioned and I think it would be a great law with a few adjustments.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #9
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What if the offender is an atheist? For this reason, I believe that this is unconstitutional. Community service? OK, that is good, but not something where the government is uncontitutionally forcing religion down someone's throat. Let the offender bust bricks or something instead.

    Article is here
    .

    Discussion?
    i disagree with this, not because I have a problem with "religion being forced down people's throats," but because this kind of punishment is soft as ****. What happened to the good old days when it was either jail or military service? Do they still do that or no?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    SCOTUS will throw this out as totally in violation of the Establishment Clause of the Constitution.

    as would any State Supreme Court worth a penny.

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •