Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #431
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    edited for accuracy.

    my friend, you have accused me of making a strawman argument. Prove it, or your accusation is an ignorant lie.
    dude, 70% of your posts contain the words "prove it", the other 30% contain some BS baseless accusation or random comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic under discussion.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #432
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    dude, 70% of your posts contain the words "prove it", the other 30% contain some BS baseless accusation or random comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic under discussion.
    you made an accusation. you have failed to back up your accusation.

    I would appreciate you not lie about my posts.

  3. #433
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,021

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So all this hand wringing was for naught?
    Considering I have no plans to ever go through Alabama, let alone stop in that particular town and commit a crime, I'm not wringing my hands about this affecting me at all.

    I was showing how this punishment option can not possibly be given fairly to everyone with my own personal example of my beliefs. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has religious beliefs that clash with most religions, and especially most Christian denominations. Plus, there is no way to accommodate atheists within this punishment option with an equivalent punishment option.

    It is on hold now, but it is still possible that the state attorney will (wrongly) tell them to go ahead with this program and it would then end up in court.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #434
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    I'm going to re-post my summary of the issues raised in this thread. I already posted this in the other thread on this subject, but someone started a new one. Here are the Constitutional issues:

    1) Equal Protection under the 14th amendment -

    Religious convicts and non-religious convicts alike now have the option of eschewing a jail sentence if they go to church. This means that religious people have the option of avoiding a jail sentence by doing something they already are inclined to do, and would presumably do anyhow, whereas non-religious people have to choose between two bad options: going to jail or subjecting themselves to theological practices in which they do not believe. Consequently the two classes of people are being treated differently in the eyes of the law. Ergo, equal protection violation. The harm in this situation is specifically that they are not being treated equally under the law on the basis of religious belief.

    2) Establishment Clause

    The issue here is that the government is endorsing religious practice (as opposed to the absence of religious practice) by declaring it a viable substitute for a jail sentence. The harm is imposition of religion on prisoners (which is why they, and not you or I, would have standing to sue). The establishment clause wouldn't be an issue if, for example, the law included a non-jail non-religious option as well (say, community service, or a philosophy class on ethics, or something).

    I) We can see that this law violates the establishment clause if we apply the Lemon test (which I think you referenced already, so I'm not going to explain what it is):

    a) Is there a secular legislative purpose?

    My guess is that the stated "secular" legislative purpose is the advancement of morality, or some such thing. I certainly can't think of another one. Various cases have taken issue with exactly this kind of thinking in situations where the presumption is that religion = morality. It seems pretty clear to me that the actual purpose of this law is the advancement of religion. If the goal were to advance morality, there are non-religious means of doing so (e.g. a civics class, parenting training, fostering an interest in promoting community service, etc). I am, by the way, parroting the reasoning of SCOTUS on this issue (can't remember which case - I'll look it up sometime if you're interested). To be clear, proving purpose in this context is notoriously difficult, and is frequently based on transcripts of legislative commentary on the law.

    b) Is the principal or primary effect of this law the advancement of religion?

    It seems pretty clear in this case that the answer is yes. The whole idea is to get people to go to church. Obviously many people (myself included) would much rather waste one day a week listening to someone talk about theology than spend weeks or months in jail. So the law fails this element of the Lemon test.

    c) Does the statute foster a government entanglement with religion?

    This is the only part of the test that the statute doesn't fail. Because government isn't getting involved in how religions do their thing.

    Despite passing the third part of the Lemon test, because the statute fails the first two parts, it is a violation of the establishment clause.

    II) Alternatively we can apply the so-called Endorsement test to reach the same result

    This test asks whether or not a reasonable person would perceive the government action at issue as an endorsement of religion. This test is somewhat more controversial, but it seems pretty clear that by providing a religious alternative to a jail term, and only a religious alternative, a reasonable person would perceive this law to be an endorsement of religion at the expense of secularism.

    3) Free Exercise of Religion

    This is the weakest of the three Constitutional arguments. Given that the first two are so much better, I'm mostly only adding it because I've already brought it up. The reasoning here would be that by forcing non-religious people to choose between going to jail or engaging in religious practices (i.e. going to church) that they don't condone, those people are being coerced into rescinding their own religious freedom. You're going to argue here that it's a choice to go to jail or participate in religion, but once again, this has the effect of favoring religious practices over non-religious practices. The test used, by the way, is whether or not this is a "neutral law of general applicability." Examples of neutral laws that do affect religious exercise but do not violate this clause include health code laws related to how meat is slaughtered (which can affect, e.g., Kosher practices, etc) and laws related to banning drug use by certain public employees (which can, and have, impacted the religious practices of certain Native American traditionalists).

  5. #435
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Perhaps because religion had more to do with the philosophy behind the creation of the United States then did Saturday morning cartoons.



    It seems you answered your own question.



    You feel religion has never played a part in the formation of the American justice system?


    I think we can see the damage overuse of drugs can do right here on this post.


    Party on, Dude!
    Slavery also had a lot to do with the founding of the US system of justice... doesn't make it right.

    And my jest about cartoon warriors was provided as a counter-example. Some people believe religious faith is a net loser for society, whereas Sponge Bob isn't.

    Finally, victimless crimes shouldn't be crimes in the first place. That's all.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by nijato View Post
    Slavery also had a lot to do with the founding of the US system of justice... doesn't make it right.
    Not to mention women being treated like property and not having the right to vote or work in certain places. Children being used for hard labor.

    What amazes me is that some people hold the founding fathers in an almost "godlike" status. They were regular men whom did a great thing, but by no means was it perfect. Even they understood this which is why they allowed amendments.

  7. #437
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I would appreciate you not lie about my posts.
    prove it.......
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    prove it.......
    Using your logic I cannot prove you are not a child molester. So does that mean since I cannot prove you aren't one that you are?

  9. #439
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Using your logic I cannot prove you are not a child molester. So does that mean since I cannot prove you aren't one that you are?
    don't be naive, no logic is being used at all. its just games & lies.

  10. #440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    don't be naive, no logic is being used at all. its just games & lies.
    So stop feeding the troll.

Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •