Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #411
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    strawman: arguing against a point that no one in the debate has made...
    wrong. 100% wrong. that is NOT what a strawman argument means.

    nor was I even suggesting that anyone in this thread had made such a claim.

  2. #412
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    wrong. 100% wrong. that is NOT what a strawman argument means..
    dude, do yourself a favor and look **** up before making a fool of yourself

    Straw man is a rhetorical technique (also classified as a logical fallacy) based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
    The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
    "Straw man" is one of the best-named fallacies, because it is memorable and vividly illustrates the nature of the fallacy. Imagine a fight in which one of the combatants sets up a man of straw, attacks it, then proclaims victory. All the while, the real opponent stands by untouched.
    IOW, you misrepresent the position (ie make **** up) and then argue against it.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 09-28-11 at 07:52 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    dude, do yourself a favor and look **** up before making a fool of yourself...

    ...IOW, you misrepresent the position (ie make **** up) and then argue against it.
    who's position did I misrepresent and how did I argue against it?

    not only do you not fully understand what a strawman argument is, but you have no idea when it is actually being used.
    Last edited by Thunder; 09-28-11 at 07:57 PM.

  4. #414
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    who's position did I misrepresent and how did I argue against it?

    not only do you not fully understand what a strawman argument is, but you have no idea when it is actually being used.
    so now you are back tracking on your "claim" that "that's not what a strawman is"?

    first things first.

    your statement was a red herring, it had nothing to do with the comment you were replying to. it was a blatant attempt to distract from the actual comment being made.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 09-28-11 at 07:59 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so now you are back tracking on your "claim" that "that's not what a strawman is"?

    first things first.
    you have proved my claim. I did not make a strawman argument, nor do you know what a strawman argument is or when it is being applied.

    now, do yourself a favor and point out which one of my statements was a strawman & how it was a strawman.

  6. #416
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    who's position did I misrepresent and how did I argue against it?

    not only do you not fully understand what a strawman argument is, but you have no idea when it is actually being used.
    dude, I just freakin quoted the definition for you. so now you resort to calling wikipedia, fallacyfiles.org and nizkor.org liars?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #417
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. Why do people of faith always assume their traditions and beliefs are more valuable to society than say... watching Saturday morning cartoons? Hell, nobody ever died fighting for a Sponge Bob caliphate, or to retake the holy land for Thundercats. Believe whatever ridiculous immaculate conception, burning bush, or flying spagheti monster stories you want. Please let's just keep it out of criminal justice, public education, and other public functions we are all a part of.

    I can't believe this can happen in the 21st century. And the real question is when are we going to stop arresting nonviolent drug "criminals" anyway?

    My final thought: so much for conservative allegience to the constitution, huh? So BLATENTLY hypocritical.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    dude, I just freakin quoted the definition for you. so now you resort to calling wikipedia, fallacyfiles.org and nizkor.org liars?
    again, which of my statements is a strawman, HOW is it a strawman, and which statement is it trying to misrepresent?

    accuse me of a strawman and you are obligated to prove it.

  9. #419
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    again, which of my statements is a strawman, HOW is it a strawman, and which statement is it trying to misrepresent?

    accuse me of a strawman and you are obligated to prove it.
    and here we go again, the guy who never "proves" anything, squealing for proof.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Apparently you missed the part on "equivalent punishment".
    And perhaps 'equivalent punishment" might vary from person to person in this instance.

Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •