Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    This is a wonderful....yet pathetic strawmen argument.
    Strawman argument? Aren't you the same person who made that drug use post??

    Where is the strawman? You have to point it out, as I did with you, rather than just make the charge.
    The fact is that Constitution makes it illegal for local state, or federal law to recognize any establishment of religion...be it a mosque, synagogue, temple, etc.
    Really? Then lets see it. And where us any religion being established?
    By requiring a felon to go to church....that establishment of religion is being recognized. This is unConstitutional..which means it is illegal.
    Well of course Churches are being recognized, as are other places of worship. Are you unclear on the difference between the recognition of a Church and the establishment of a Church?

    Strawman arguments cannot deny this simple fact, and your deliberate mischaracterizing of the 1st Amendment and our Constitution is disgusting.
    Again, this is what the First Amendment says. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

    How is Congress involved here and what religion is being established? If you do not understand what that simple sentence says, please get someone to explain it to you, word for word. There are only ten of them.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If it is a choice, then how is it unconstitutional?
    its unConstitutional because one of the choices violates the Establishment Cause of the Constitution.

  3. #363
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then perhaps you can explain where Congress is establishing a religion in Kentucky?
    It doesn't pass the "Lemon Test".

    Lemon v. Kurtzman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    1. The government's action must have a secular legislative purpose;
    2. The government's action must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;
    3. The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

    In general, any government sanctioned mandate that requires a person to attend church is advancing religion, in general. It does not have to be a specific religion to apply. The entire point of this punishment is to attempt to "introduce" offenders to religion, so then they are promoting religion.

    Now, I think it is more than that though because it also means that a person without religion is subjected to a comparably "harsher" punishment option than a person who has religion already.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    its unConstitutional because one of the choices violates the Establishment Cause of the Constitution.
    Interesting.

    What of a parallel governing system like Sharia Law ever happening in America?

    Do you or do you not think that would be constituional to respect a parallel, religious form of government such as Sharia Law?
    Last edited by Wake; 09-28-11 at 04:38 PM.

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Strawman argument? Aren't you the same person who made that drug use post??

    Where is the strawman? You have to point it out, as I did with you, rather than just make the charge....
    THIS....is your strawman. Its that or a lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ...The problem lies with your own gullibility in believing what groups like the ACLU tell you and then swallowing it whole.. That is the real game being played. And you have been so seriously suckered into that game that you will quote the Constitution without giving the words within any thought at all. You will just recite and repeat what you've been so frequently told....

    It appears that you have NO CLUE what the Establishment Clause means. You also fail to understand that the rights protected in the the Constitution are for the States, cities, counties, towns, and all other government municipalties..ALONG with Congress. I have tried to explain this to you but your clear pathetic bias prevents you from grasping this.

    ..And where us any religion being established? Well of course Churches are being recognized, as are other places of worship. Are you unclear on the difference between the recognition of a Church and the establishment of a Church? Again, this is what the First Amendment says. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". How is Congress involved here and what religion is being established?...
    clearly you have either never learned about the Constitution or you are just playing silly & childish games.
    Last edited by Thunder; 09-28-11 at 04:41 PM.

  6. #366
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't pass the "Lemon Test".

    Lemon v. Kurtzman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    1. The government's action must have a secular legislative purpose;
    2. The government's action must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;
    3. The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

    In general, any government sanctioned mandate that requires a person to attend church is advancing religion, in general. It does not have to be a specific religion to apply. The entire point of this punishment is to attempt to "introduce" offenders to religion, so then they are promoting religion.

    Now, I think it is more than that though because it also means that a person without religion is subjected to a comparably "harsher" punishment option than a person who has religion already.
    Thanks, and that was very informative. However, at the end of the entry it says

    Lemon's future is somewhat uncertain. Sustained criticism by conservative Justices such as Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas,[2] lack of a clear reaffirmation of the central tenets of Lemon over the years since the 1980s, and inconsistent application in major Establishment Clause cases has led some legal commentators and lower court judges to believe that Lemon's days are numbered, and that the Court has implicitly left the decision of whether to apply the test in a specific case up to lower courts.[citation needed] This has resulted in a patchwork pattern of enforcement in circuit courts across the nation; while some courts apply Lemon in all or most cases, others apply it in few or none.[citation needed] The Supreme Court itself has applied the Lemon test as recently as 2000 in Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe.[3]
    It seems the issue has not yet been settled and according to the rather clear wording of the 'Establishment" clause it seems that the SCOTUS might one day revisit the controversy..

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ..It seems the issue has not yet been settled and according to the rather clear wording of the 'Establishment" clause it seems that the SCOTUS might one day revisit the controversy..
    requiring a convict go to jail OR go to Church, advances religion, hence violates the second Lemon test.

  8. #368
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    THIS....is your strawman. Its that or a lie.




    It appears that you have NO CLUE what the Establishment Clause means. You also fail to understand that the rights protected in the the Constitution are for the States, cities, counties, towns, and all other government municipalties..ALONG with Congress. I have tried to explain this to you but your clear pathetic bias prevents you from grasping this.



    clearly you have either never learned about the Constitution or you are just playing silly & childish games.

    The Establishment Clause is the first of several pronouncements in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, stating, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". Together with the Free Exercise Clause ("... or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"), these two clauses make up what are called the "religion clauses" of the First Amendment.[1]
    Establishment Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The establishment clause has generally been interpreted to prohibit 1) the establishment of a national religion by Congress, or 2) the preference by the U.S. government of one religion over another. The first approach is called the "separation" or "no aid" interpretation, while the second approach is called the "non-preferential" or "accommodation" interpretation. The accommodation interpretation prohibits Congress from preferring one religion over another, but does not prohibit the government's entry into religious domain to make accommodations in order to achieve the purposes of the Free Exercise Clause.
    Last edited by Grant; 09-28-11 at 04:52 PM.

  9. #369
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Thanks, and that was very informative. However, at the end of the entry it says



    It seems the issue has not yet been settled and according to the rather clear wording of the 'Establishment" clause it seems that the SCOTUS might one day revisit the controversy..
    They may, but as of right now, it is what we have and what the lower courts are basing many decisions off.

    And it still does not address the other Constitutional issue that the choice in punishment discriminates based on someone's involvement level within a/a few specific religions within the area. This is a violation of the 14th Amendment in that it offers a relatively unequal punishment option to those not involved in a religion within the area already and those who are involved with a religion already in the area.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    requiring a convict go to jail OR go to Church, advances religion, hence violates the second Lemon test.
    From the Establishment Clause.

    The accommodation interpretation prohibits Congress from preferring one religion over another, but does not prohibit the government's entry into religious domain to make accommodations in order to achieve the purposes of the Free Exercise Clause.
    Is the Kentucky community preferring one religion over another? If so, which ones?

    We can understand the Free Exercise Clause because the delinquents are given an option whether they want to attend or not. If it is their free choice to attend then they are exercising their freedom of religion.

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •