Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It certainly could be if you are not providing a very similar option that would encompass every possible set of general beliefs out there, including a total lack of beliefs.
    Then perhaps you can explain where Congress is establishing a religion in Kentucky?

  2. #352
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I still think, regardless of the criminal's religious status, it is a damn good deal for any criminal and a very bad freaking idea for that reason.
    It's definitely a good idea for them, it's essentially escaping punishment. I may say that if possible we should keep non-violent offenders out of jail because we don't need to waste money putting them there. But I would rather say that instead we use fines and community service so that they still have to do something. And we get benefit out of community service.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    because it is such a bad idea in general, the fact that it may or may not be unconstitutional is irrelevent. Instead of arguing over the constitutionality, argue over the stupidity.
    Why not test it out for a couple of years and then check whether its been successful or not?

  4. #354
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why not test it out for a couple of years and then check whether its been successful or not?
    I tried that with my ex-girlfriend and she dumped me...
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I can only find any information on this from around 2005 and it states that he made this offer to about 50 people with alcohol/drug related problems. No information at all on the recidivism rate.

    From the looks of it, the two are similar.

    Judge's Offer: Church Or Jail - CBS News
    Thanks a lot for that.

    Without any follow-up to those 50 youths involved it really leaves everything unclear. It might have been a good story to interview these youths to see how they felt about the while thing.

  6. #356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why not test it out for a couple of years and then check whether its been successful or not?
    why don't we try letting children smoke crack for a couple of years and see how it turns out.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And which religion is being established here???...
    A Christian Church is a religious establishment. I see the game you are trying to play, and it is juvenile & ignorant.

  8. #358
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    A Christian Church is a religious establishment. I see the game you are trying to play, and it is juvenile & ignorant.
    That's correct. The Christian Church has already been established so there is no establishment going on in Kentucky.

    Also you quoted the Constitution accurately when you said "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

    As we can easily see, Congress is not establishing any religion in Kentucky or anywhere else. Is that correct or not?

    As to "playing games" I am quoting the Constitution and, I believe, its intent.

    The problem lies with your own gullibility in believing what groups like the ACLU tell you and then swallowing it whole.. That is the real game being played. And you have been so seriously suckered into that game that you will quote the Constitution without giving the words within any thought at all. You will just recite and repeat what you've been so frequently told. You have so bought the idea that you don't even have to think about the meaning of the words anymore.

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ...The problem lies with your own gullibility in believing what groups like the ACLU tell you and then swallowing it whole.. That is the real game being played. And you have been so seriously suckered into that game that you will quote the Constitution without giving the words within any thought at all. You will just recite and repeat what you've been so frequently told. You have so bought the idea that you don't even have to think about the meaning of the words anymore.
    This is a wonderful....yet pathetic strawmen argument.

    The fact is that Constitution makes it illegal for local state, or federal law to recognize any establishment of religion...be it a mosque, synagogue, temple, etc.

    By requiring a felon to go to church....that establishment of religion is being recognized. This is unConstitutional..which means it is illegal.

    Strawman arguments cannot deny this simple fact, and your deliberate mischaracterizing of the 1st Amendment and our Constitution is disgusting.
    Last edited by Thunder; 09-28-11 at 04:25 PM.

  10. #360
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    If it is a choice, then how is it unconstitutional?

Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •