Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Worthless posts can be made better by reading the thread and knowing what we are talking about. It's not like this was all secret, there's a few pages of arguments written and waiting for you to read and catch yourself up.
    Are you familiar with the Constitution, a subject mentioned here frequently, and how it is being violated?

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Are you familiar with the Constitution, a subject mentioned here frequently, and how it is being violated?
    it violates the Establishment Clause.

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    What difference does it make? Since when are convicts guaranteed Constitutional rights? It's a bad idea because it's too lenient, but I don't view this as a Constitutional issue.
    How can you say it's a bad idea before its been given a fair shot?

    Learning that "Thou shalt not steal", for example, might not be such a bad thing.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How can you say ot's a bad idea befoore ts been given a fair shot?......
    that argument could also be used for legalizing crack-cocaine & execution by gang-rape.

  5. #335
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How can you say it's a bad idea before its been given a fair shot?

    Learning that "Thou shalt not steal", for example, might not be such a bad thing.
    It has been tried before. The most recent example being 2005 in KY. It isn't like this is a new concept. There is also no evidence anywhere that such a requirement actually helps people in any way.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    it violates the Establishment Clause.
    I think you are unclear as to the meaning of "establishment" here, as well as are several other posters.

    "Establishment" does not mean sending offenders to Church. anymore than having religious services in prisons violates any Constitutional amendments.

    No arm of the government is establishing any religion here, and if they are then they would be in violation of the Constitution and we can all protest.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It has been tried before. The most recent example being 2005 in KY. It isn't like this is a new concept. There is also no evidence anywhere that such a requirement actually helps people in any way.
    What was the recidivism rate? Does anyone know? Is this program based on the one in Kentucky or have their been changes made?

  8. #338
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I think you are unclear as to the meaning of "establishment" here, as well as are several other posters.

    "Establishment" does not mean sending offenders to Church. anymore than having religious services in prisons violates any Constitutional amendments.

    No arm of the government is establishing any religion here, and if they are then they would be in violation of the Constitution and we can all protest.
    You are apparently unfamiliar with how several US courts have interpreted the Establishment Clause to include very similar situations as this one. And at the end of the day, it is the courts that will determine whether this is Constitutional or not. Going on earlier cases similar to this one, it appears that the courts definitely believe that such things violate the Establishment Clause.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that argument could also be used for legalizing crack-cocaine & execution by gang-rape.
    But no one here is making that argument.

    You also seem unclear of the meaning of a "straw man argument' as well as the word "establishment".

  10. #340
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    But no one here is making that argument.

    You also seem unclear of the meaning of a "straw man argument'
    that's his favorite debate tactic. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought "WTF??? I never said that"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •