Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke
    Were you required to attend U of M because of some punishment?
    No, that's Ohio State. Also, college degrees were necessary to afford my lifestyle.

    Was the alternative to attending U of M time in jail?
    No. Homelessness, maybe a minimum-wage nothing existence.

    Did U of M's program/teaching come into conflict with your beliefs but you were unable to express that openly for fear of being told that you were being difficult/uncooperative and would have to take the alternative of jail?
    Yeah, I don't believe in tests. If I objected, I'd fail and be kicked out. The alternative would be poverty jail with loans I couldn't pay back.

    See? I had choices too. Just because mine were easy don't make them any less of a choice.

    Hit me back when he's sentenced to church without any alternative.

  2. #262
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Constitutionally, it is wrong because of the first reason. This has been ruled on several times in the past in various cases. It is obvious to pretty much anyone who isn't blinded by the belief that required religion is always a good thing.
    strawman? but hey, any chance to bash at religion eh?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #263
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So you think listening to a sermon for 4 hours a week and then answering some questions isn't too light on crime?

    What a message you want to send," commit a crime, go to church.". Are you actually reading what you are typing?
    WTF are you talking about? please learn english. I never said it was a good idea. and where the hell have you been going to church where the sermons last for 4 freaking hours?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    strawman? but hey, any chance to bash at religion eh?
    there is no need to bash religion to see that this ruling grossly violates the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution. this is clear to all but the willfully blind or ignorant.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Violating the Establishment Clause? Clearly you are no lawyer.

    If they couldn't get rid of the Ten Commandments memorial at the court house lawn, you sure as hell don't have a legal leg to stand on here.

  6. #266
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    strawman? but hey, any chance to bash at religion eh?
    No. I bash people who try to cram religion down other people's throats. I think most religion is great, since it does inspire a lot of people to do good things and not commit crimes.

    You can believe whatever the hell you want, I do. But I'm not going to pretend that making people get religious is actually going to help them or their community. People don't need religion to help them be better people. It can help in some cases, but then again, so can education or community service.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #267
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    there is no need to bash religion to see that this ruling grossly violates the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution. this is clear to all but the willfully blind or ignorant.
    and totally irrelevant to the reason why this is a bad idea
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #268
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. I bash people who try to cram religion down other people's throats.
    and just who in this thread has done that?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #269
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    still a better option than going to jail and answering questions about how many times a day you get raped in the ass or have to toss a salad.
    99.9% of prison rapes take place in the minds of the non-incarcerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  10. #270
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and just who in this thread has done that?
    People are defending a program that does this.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •