Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 628

Thread: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    i disagree with this, not because I have a problem with "religion being forced down people's throats," but because this kind of punishment is soft as ****. What happened to the good old days when it was either jail or military service? Do they still do that or no?
    Umm the incarceration rate is the highest it's ever been in American history, and is the highest of any country in the world. We already beat China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Iran in the proportion of our citizens we lock in cages.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    i disagree with this, not because I have a problem with "religion being forced down people's throats," but because this kind of punishment is soft as ****. What happened to the good old days when it was either jail or military service? Do they still do that or no?
    this ain't vietnam, military doesn't want criminal POSes
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #13
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    It is discriminatory.

    I just posted in the comment section for the CNN article. let me copy and paste it here instead of rewriting it all:

    Quote Originally Posted by me
    ...they need to remove the "you have one path to get your charges dismissed, and that is attend church" part of the deal.

    This still leaves the problem of regular church goers who get a free pass to commit misdemeanors without any inconvenience. Perhaps if we make church goers do community service every Saturday while forced to listen to Slayer, and the non church goers have to attend church on sunday we can get past this imbalanced discriminatory aspect of it.

    As it stands now one group essentially gets zero punishment and immunity with this scheme
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    This is not an appropriate sentence for someone convicted of a crime.

    I think it is best to pass down a sentence for true community service work, rather than having a person sit in a church singing hymns and sitting on his ass listening to a sermon.

    Sends the wrong message to criminals, that's for sure.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    so you can either serve time for your crime..or go to Church?

    this is utter bull****. and totally illegal.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dixieland South
    Last Seen
    10-11-11 @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    364

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Athiest need to be told the truth on a continued basis. And because of that, there are Athiest that eventually had their eye's and minds opened in learning, knowing, and believing there is an Almighty God.
    Regardless if it's in prisons or out in free social civilization.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by dixiesolutions View Post
    Athiest need to be told the truth on a continued basis. And because of that, there are Athiest that eventually had their eye's and minds opened in learning, knowing, and believing there is an Almighty God.
    Regardless if it's in prisons or out in free social civilization.
    got any evidence for this "Almighty" God?

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by dixiesolutions View Post
    Athiest need to be told the truth on a continued basis. And because of that, there are Athiest that eventually had their eye's and minds opened in learning, knowing, and believing there is an Almighty God.
    Regardless if it's in prisons or out in free social civilization.
    First of all prove the so called "truth" there is a god.

    Secondly prove the so called "truth" it's your god that you worship and not some other god.

    Lastly prove there aren't multiple Gods.

    Until you can prove those, it isn't truth, it's faith.

    We shouldn't be sentencing a criminal to faith.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 09-27-11 at 10:30 AM.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    got any evidence for this "Almighty" God?
    Got any evidence against it? You're making the claim he doesn't exist. So prove your point.

    But back on topic, if they don't want to sit in church with a bunch of beautiful women nicely dressed in a gorgeous building......**** 'em. Lock 'em up. It's their choice.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 09-27-11 at 10:32 AM.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church?

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Got any evidence against it? You're making the claim he doesn't exist. So prove your point.
    Thunder didn't make the claim in this thread that God didn't exist. However, your bible buddy said it was TRUTH that he existed. Therefore the burden of proof is on you (if you claim god exists) and on your bible buddy.

    But back on topic, if they don't want to sit in church with a bunch of beautiful women nicely dressed in a gorgeous building......**** 'em. Lock 'em up. It's their choice.
    So you are soft on crime and think a criminal should be rewarded. Got it, thanks.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •