Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 158

Thread: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

  1. #91
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Important Facts.

    1) The U.S. is bound by the Montreal treaty, signed in 1987, which has timetables for phasing our a ozone attacking gases called CFC. CFC is used to propel the drug in an inhaler.
    2) The FDA mandated the end of most CFC inhalers back in 2008. This article is about a specific type of inhaler for that dispenses epinephrine that is being taken off the market by 2012.
    3) The CFC propellant has largely been replaced by another type of gases called HFA in most inhalers.
    4) There is no HFA version that dispenses the epinephrine drug. Users will have to switch to an entirely different drug called albuterol.
    5) The Pharma industry made a deliberate choice not to develop an HFA epinephrine inhaler back in 2007, even though the FDA pointed out there were no technical barriers.

    Its easier to force consumers to buy a new more expensive prescription drug than create an actual replacement. Yet another example of the American public being bent over by the drug industry.
    Yes but worst of all it's based on the Hoax that any global warming that there might be is some how man caused which it is not.

    When are we going to put human life and the economy ahead of AL Gores lies that only make him and the CEOs of the environmentally ill organizations rolling in the money they make off the Hoax.

  2. #92
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Did I miss the title? It's my title.

    Thread: EPA to ban affordable inhalers? Now, is it true that the more affordable inhalers are being banned or not?
    It is not true.
    ONE inhaler containing a banned propellant will be withdrawn from sale. The manufacturers have chosen not to replace it. Do you want the government to force them to make some?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #93
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    CFC inhalers were exempt from the ban. It was Clinton who removed the exemption.
    That is because the Montreal treaty sensibly didn't start banning things until after a suitable replacement had been developed. The actual phasing out of CFC's didn't start until the mid 2000's.

    The ban went into effect, at least on RX albuterol inhalers, on 1-1-09, although they started phasing the new inhalers in before that. People were hoarding the old ones like crazy. It was very upsetting because this is the type of inhaler me and one of my children use and the new inhalers just aren't as effective. They are also more costly and, frustratingly, they're not very "green". These new inhalers come sealed in foil and once you open the foil the instructions are to discard them after 12 months, even if they're still half full and haven't reached their expiration date. The old albuterol inhalers lasted much longer because you could use them until the expiration date. We definitely go through more of the non-CFC inhalers because of this.
    Who do you think profits from inhalers that are disposable: hint its not the government. The Pharma industry can profit from BS like this and simply used the transition to a new technology. as a cover for their greed. Unfortunately, it seems that their deception was largely successful.

    It really makes me mad because I feel these were political decisions made about something that should be strictly medical.
    The Montreal Treaty was very much a medical decision to protect the U.S. and the entire world from getting skin cancer.

  4. #94
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Yes but worst of all it's based on the Hoax that any global warming that there might be is some how man caused which it is not.

    When are we going to put human life and the economy ahead of AL Gores lies that only make him and the CEOs of the environmentally ill organizations rolling in the money they make off the Hoax.
    Are you really so ignorant that you think Ozone damage is the same thing as global warming? Hint: there is a giant fricking hole in the atmosphere over Antarctica. We saw in appear during the 1980's as a direct result of human activity. Back then it was expanding and ozone levels were being depleted in other parts of the world. Today we have stopped increased the damage and might reach 1975 levels in a few decades provided we keep our current policies in place.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Are you really so ignorant that you think Ozone damage is the same thing as global warming? Hint: there is a giant fricking hole in the atmosphere over Antarctica. We saw in appear during the 1980's as a direct result of human activity. Back then it was expanding and ozone levels were being depleted in other parts of the world. Today we have stopped increased the damage and might reach 1975 levels in a few decades provided we keep our current policies in place.
    As someone who uses the inhalers in question, I am not mad about removing cfcs from them.

    The cfc/ozone thing was some bad juju.

    I think the reason you're seeing such vehement responses is that everyone agreed, except cfc manufaturers/users, that the phenomenon was man made.

    And "everybody" knows human activity can't affect the atmosphere.

    See how that kinda conflicts?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #96
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    How many more patents are holding the costs of pharmaceuticals up? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the companies are worried that when their patents run out they will have a problem. They seem to be running out of ideas for new drugs in the works. Is it possible that with the speed of development and marketing at some of the big pharmas, long term patents are ensuring record profits at our expense? With the so called free market, I would think that the big companies could still make a profit even with generics all over the market. It's called advertisement. None of this is as scary as gene patenting though...

    Ah, the slippery slope from ozone depletion to global climate change. The giant hole in the ozone that mysteriously appeared in the sky during our heaviest usage of CFCs couldn't possibly have been man made. Just like huge amounts of carbon dioxide and other gases being put out during a time of extreme fossil fuel usage couldn't possibly cause an effect (greenhouse) that we KNOW to exist. The thresholds and limits are not known yet, but it can't hurt to be reasonably cautious. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

  7. #97
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    As someone who uses the inhalers in question, I am not mad about removing cfcs from them.

    The cfc/ozone thing was some bad juju.

    I think the reason you're seeing such vehement responses is that everyone agreed, except cfc manufaturers/users, that the phenomenon was man made.

    And "everybody" knows human activity can't affect the atmosphere.

    See how that kinda conflicts?
    The CFC manufacturers motives were blatantly transparent. Dupont argued against CFC restriction when they sold Freon until they completely 180ed their position after getting patents on HCFC replacements.

  8. #98
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That is because the Montreal treaty sensibly didn't start banning things until after a suitable replacement had been developed. The actual phasing out of CFC's didn't start until the mid 2000's.



    Who do you think profits from inhalers that are disposable: hint its not the government. The Pharma industry can profit from BS like this and simply used the transition to a new technology. as a cover for their greed. Unfortunately, it seems that their deception was largely successful.



    The Montreal Treaty was very much a medical decision to protect the U.S. and the entire world from getting skin cancer.
    It didn't work. I have had pre-cancerous skin growths removed from my skin, right and left. Thus the plight of all of us runners and cyclists, not to mention construction workers and farmers, who spend many hours out doors. I wouldn't consider that it was an alleged hole in the ozone layer, I would say it was spending way too much time in the sun. My father warned me about it when I used to lay out in the sun sunbathing, and my dad was born in 1907. Back then nobody ever heard of the ozone layer, much less, any holes in it, and I doubt there are any holes in it now, either.
    Last edited by bicycleman; 09-26-11 at 09:25 PM.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I also put up a similar thread in the Health section which I had merged with this one. When I posted mine, I was concerned from a medical standpoint and was hoping for input from the medical professionals who post here, and I have not been disappointed because I have obtained some useful information.
    So have I. People will not be able to buy the affordable inhalers, but hopefully in a few years, prices will come down......at which time someone finds something wrong with those inhalers.

  10. #100
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    11-07-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    117

    Re: EPA to ban affordable inhalers?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That is because the Montreal treaty sensibly didn't start banning things until after a suitable replacement had been developed. The actual phasing out of CFC's didn't start until the mid 2000's.


    Who do you think profits from inhalers that are disposable: hint its not the government. The Pharma industry can profit from BS like this and simply used the transition to a new technology. as a cover for their greed. Unfortunately, it seems that their deception was largely successful.


    The Montreal Treaty was very much a medical decision to protect the U.S. and the entire world from getting skin cancer.
    There was no need to ban CFC inhalers. Their emissions were minimal. Banning them has no effect on skin cancer. I disagree that they waited until a suitable replacement was developed. The new inhalers don't work as well.
    Saying "Pharma" profits so it's not the government is a smokescreen. It was Clinton who took away the exemption, thus CFC inhalers were banned.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •