Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 310

Thread: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

  1. #71
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's about time they put this bastard on ice.
    I guess conflicting evidence, and all but two of the state's non-police witnesses from the trial have recanted or contradicted their testimony doesnt bother you...


  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    this a ridiculously inflammatory statement which once again makes me question your motives for posting.

    either you're someone of a different political persuasion doing a conservative caricature, or you like posting ridiculous statements that you know will piss people off and get you a lot of attention.
    How about option #3..... I'm someone who views the world very differently than most of the sheeple who inhabit it and I don't really care who does or doesn't like what I say, so I have no problem saying it.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Oddly enough our Founders said the exact opposite of what he said...
    Yep. Mostly because they were naive individuals who thought that morality and values would stand the test of time. Ooops.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yep. Mostly because they were naive individuals who thought that morality and values would stand the test of time. Ooops.

    Oh, I think that's quite a bit of an overstatement. The Founders were mostly men of the world and well-versed in human nature. That's why they designed the Constitution to safeguard against those who sought excessive power thru checks and balances.

    I'm also quite sure they were not strangers to crime. They were certainly not strangers to Indian raids that often involved the massacre of women and children and various atrocities, and counter-raids by settlers that were just as vicious.

    Crime has been on the decline, overall, for many decades now. There have been places and periods in history when crime was far worse than today... Elizabethan London comes to mind as one example. I doubt the Founders were ignorant of these things, being classically educated for the most part.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #75
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,877

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yep. Mostly because they were naive individuals who thought that morality and values would stand the test of time. Ooops.
    I disagree with you 100%
    I think 1,000,000 rapist and murderers ought to be set free to save even one Innocent person sent to death.
    and i don't believe in the death penalty either.

    Now i also believe that anyone has the right to blow someones brains out if they try to steal/rape/murder/harm them. Murderers and rapist have it coming to them either way if they are caught or not...

    It brings move of a duty on the individual to protect oneself and others but then at least we would know our government doesn't condemn Innocent people to death.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 09-20-11 at 08:01 PM.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Leaving aside some of the over the top rhetoric, I have some real problems with this whole story. Either we have to assume that a group of people is perfectly willing to ignore evidence and condemn a man to death, which I find unlikely, or we have to assume that the evidence we hear is not correct, which seems unlikely, or we can assume that there is more evidence that most of us are unfamiliar with, which seems more likely. I think this rush to judgement on the part of people posting here is kinda sad, though I can understand where it is coming from. Everything I have heard(and not mentioned in the thread is one of the 2 witnesses who has not recanted is a possible suspect in the murder, and that one of the jurors commented that if he knew the ballistic results he would have voted not guilty) suggests that there is strong reason to question his conviction, and yet those 5 people on the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles where not swayed, which means either they are bad people, or painfully dumb, or there is something else going on we do not know about.
    Knowing Georgia politics, this is probably the answer.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #77
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Condemned Ga. inmate has much support, little hope

    Condemned Ga. inmate has much support, little hope - Yahoo! News

    He lost his most realistic chance to avoid lethal injection on Tuesday, when Georgia's pardons board rejected his appeal for clemency. As his scheduled 7 p.m. Wednesday execution neared, his backers resorted to far-fetched measures: urging prison workers to strike or call in sick, asking prosecutors to block the execution even considering a desperate appeal for White House intervention.


    He has gotten support from hundreds of thousands of people, including a former FBI director, former President Jimmy Carter and Pope Benedict XVI, and a U.S. Supreme Court ruling gave him an unusual opportunity to prove his innocence last year. State and federal courts, however, repeatedly upheld his conviction for the 1989 killing of Mark MacPhail, an off-duty police officer who was working as a security guard in Savannah when he was shot dead rushing to help a homeless man who was being attacked.


    Davis' attorneys say he was convicted based on flawed testimony that has been largely recanted by witnesses, but prosecutors and MacPhail's relatives say they have no doubt the right man is being punished.
    Georgia initially planned to execute Davis in July 2007, but the pardons board granted him a stay less than 24 hours before he was to die. The U.S. Supreme Court stepped in a year later and halted the lethal injection just two hours before he was to be executed. And a federal appeals court halted another planned execution a few months later.
    So let's get this straight. The pardons board granted him a stay, the highest court in the entire US halts a lethal injection, a federal court halts another execution, and they're STILL trying to execute him?

    Here is the best part:

    Witnesses placed Davis at the crime scene and identified him as the shooter. Shell casings were linked to a shooting hours earlier that Davis was convicted of. There was no other physical evidence. No blood or DNA tied Davis to the crime and the weapon was never located.
    This whole situation looks like it may well turn out to be the first time we have undeniable proof that the state has executed an innocent man.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #78
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Moderator's Warning:
    Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemencyThreads merged
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #79
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's about time they put this bastard on ice.
    Yes, let's put him on ice, and the real killer, most likely Sylvester Coles, who was identified by at least 10 witnesses as the killer, walks free. This kind of thinking might be good for the Iranian mullahs, but this is America, dammit.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #80
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Condemned Ga. inmate has much support, little hope

    Sounds to me like Troy Davis was smoking dust that evening, shot a stranger in the face for no good reason, then shot a police officer in the face for no good reason, came down off the dust, realized how badly he f*cked up his life, then fled to his sister's house in Atlanta.

    Frankly, I do not believe the story that Troy "Rough as Hell" Davis was so taken aback by his friend Redd Coles slapping a homeless man that he suddenly (and conveniently) fled the scene in apparent sheer disgust over such wanton violence, just prior to the shooting death of Officer MacPhail. What is more, if it had been Redd Coles who actually shot MacPhail, Davis would likely have admitted as much during his interrogation, and he definitely would have testified to such at trial for his life.

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •