Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 310

Thread: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.
    It's pretty obvious I support the death penalty but this it really dumb. If you execute people in place of the guilty, that means the guilty people get away with the murder that the innocent person was executed for, so, even using your own logic, your position makes no sense.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    It embarrasses me to know we are from the same area because of this? How dare you say innocent men should die simply because you want every guilty person to die as well.
    We may be from the same bit of real estate (New England) but we are most definitely NOT from the same place philosophically. We have lost the idea of JUSTICE and PUNISHMENT in this land, and we're much worse off for it. I don't LIKE seeing innocent people executed, but it's a fact of life on occasion. Just the way the system works. You're going to get some wheat in with the chaff from time to time.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It's pretty obvious I support the death penalty but this it really dumb. If you execute people in place of the guilty, that means the guilty people get away with the murder that the innocent person was executed for, so, even using your own logic, your position makes no sense.
    This happens much less often than most people like to suggest. Additionally, I rarely see truly innocent people executed. They may not be guilty of what they were charged with, but they're rarely salt-of-the-earth, Mother Theressa types either.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    So be it. If I'm incompetent enough to not be able to prove my innocence, then I probably deserve exactly what I get.
    It's not about incompetence. it's about more people than you saying you did something you didn't and the authorities taking their word for it.

    But hey, if you want to act superior be my guest. Maybe Karma will slap you with a nice needle and put you down for good for something you didn't do.

  5. #25
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    We may be from the same bit of real estate (New England) but we are most definitely NOT from the same place philosophically. We have lost the idea of JUSTICE and PUNISHMENT in this land, and we're much worse off for it. I don't LIKE seeing innocent people executed, but it's a fact of life on occasion. Just the way the system works. You're going to get some wheat in with the chaff from time to time.
    You are right about that. I am not willing to let an innocent man die in order to be able to execute others. And you speak of justice and punishment, where is the damn justice in killing an innocent man? If they do kill him then the state of Georgia should face the punishment for murdering an innocent man.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  6. #26
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    As an aside, Rick Perry didn't sentence anyone to die. Actually, the only way to get the death penalty in Texas is if jurors assess it. That's different than every other state where it's the judge who does the sentencing.

    Regarding eye witness testimony, think about this, if you're the victim of a crime and you're the only witness to it (because people typically don't commit crimes where there are lots of witnessess), do you believe the guy should not be prosecuted because nobody else was around to see it? Something to consider.
    Rick Perry didn't sentence the man, but he signed the death warrant, and the investigation by the forensics board (before Perry shut it down) showed that Perry knowingly sent an innocent man to his death.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #27
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    So be it. If I'm incompetent enough to not be able to prove my innocence, then I probably deserve exactly what I get.
    That opinion is meaningless until you're actually standing in front of the firing squad and thinking about all the things you could have done with your life.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 09-20-11 at 01:46 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #28
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    We may be from the same bit of real estate (New England) but we are most definitely NOT from the same place philosophically. We have lost the idea of JUSTICE and PUNISHMENT in this land, and we're much worse off for it. I don't LIKE seeing innocent people executed, but it's a fact of life on occasion. Just the way the system works. You're going to get some wheat in with the chaff from time to time.
    Dollars to donuts says that you would be singing a different tune if it was YOU who was convicted of a murder you didn't commit, and were about to die for it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #29
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Rick Perry didn't sentence the man, but he signed the death warrant, and the investigation by the forensics board (before Perry shut it down) showed that Perry knowingly sent an innocent man to his death.
    this should be a good campaign issue if he's the rep nominee.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I look at those guilty men on death row and even regular as subhuman scum,garbage or human cockroaches. So if anything the life of innocent people should be worth way more than that of scumbags in prison. So we should demand that if we are going to execute someone then we should make sure we take every possible route to make sure that person did what ever it is they did before we execute them so that one innocent person does not pay for the crimes of someone else. This is why I support an appeals system based on the degree of evidence.The stronger the evidence the less appeals you get and if they got you on video then they should be able to just take you out back after a guilty conviction and put a bullet in your head.
    Agreed.

    I'd even propose that for cases with lack of strong physical evidence, which obviously includes no physical evidence at all, the death penalty should not even be on the table.

    I'm PRO death penalty, but I'm a firm believer that there should be an excruciatingly minimal amount of maybes, ifs, or perhapses when sending someone to their death. END OF STORY. Death penalty should be reserved men like Jared Loughner.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.
    This is Neanderthal reasoning at its finest. How about next time a deranged individual shoots up a grade school we just board up all of the exits and set the whole place on fire, leaving the killer to die alongside all the innocent still trapped inside?
    Last edited by David D.; 09-20-11 at 01:54 PM.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •