Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 310

Thread: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

  1. #11
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, as long as the guy is good about leaving no physical evidence, he could commit mass murder in front of 50 people and he shouldn't get the death penalty (I ask with sincerity)?
    I don't think so X. I mean look at this case, well over half the people said they were wrong because of police action. Now that aside, should we really put some one to death because of a few people's apparent thought?
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.

  3. #13
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    This is soo sad!!!

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, as long as the guy is good about leaving no physical evidence, he could commit mass murder in front of 50 people and he shouldn't get the death penalty (I ask with sincerity)?
    If there was no physical evidence ( which the chances of that happening would be close to nil) I would rather err on the side of caution and do life in prison without the possibility of parole.

    One innocent life being snubbed by the state is one too many.

  5. #15
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, as long as the guy is good about leaving no physical evidence, he could commit mass murder in front of 50 people and he shouldn't get the death penalty (I ask with sincerity)?
    If you are going to execute a man wouldn't you want solid physical evidence that man did what it is he was convicted of?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.
    Karmas a bitch and you may end up being one of those 100 then.

  7. #17
    Student Chenoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-04-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    273

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, as long as the guy is good about leaving no physical evidence, he could commit mass murder in front of 50 people and he shouldn't get the death penalty (I ask with sincerity)?
    Of course he should. But it's highly unlikely that 50 eyewitnesses to a mass murder have any reason to lie. In the Troy Davis case, that doesn't seem to fit the circumstances of what happened.

    We're lucky that in the last couple of decades DNA and forensics have made huge strides. Not to mention that it's more than likely you'll be on camera. It is "mainstream knowledge" now that eyewitness testimony is rarely credible. Usually people trained in law-enforcement and security are better at it than the rest of us. We just don't pay attention and when we're forced too (as in a robbery or rape), terror usually skews what we remember. Just my opinion.
    I love how, in scary movies, the person yells out, "Hello?" As if the bad guy is gonna be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen! Want a sandwich?"

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Karmas a bitch and you may end up being one of those 100 then.
    So be it. If I'm incompetent enough to not be able to prove my innocence, then I probably deserve exactly what I get.

  9. #19
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.
    I look at those guilty men on death row and even regular as subhuman scum,garbage or human cockroaches. So if anything the life of innocent people should be worth way more than that of scumbags in prison. So we should demand that if we are going to execute someone then we should make sure we take every possible route to make sure that person did what ever it is they did before we execute them so that one innocent person does not pay for the crimes of someone else. This is why I support an appeals system based on the degree of evidence.The stronger the evidence the less appeals you get and if they got you on video then they should be able to just take you out back after a guilty conviction and put a bullet in your head.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #20
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am in favor of sending 100 Innocent men to their deaths in order to ensure that every guilty one ends up there. It isn't my PREFERENCE for how it should work, but in order to ensure that the guilty end up getting their just rewards, that's the way it has to work.
    It embarrasses me to know we are from the same area because of this? How dare you say innocent men should die simply because you want every guilty person to die as well.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •