Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 310

Thread: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

  1. #161
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You are dodging.

    Simple question.

    Facts
    #1) You are for the death penalty
    #2) Death penalty means you will kill those that are not guilty

    Therefore if you are for the death penalty continuing and knowing that it will kill those innocent of said crime, you have to have a threshold that you will accept the innocent being killed to maintain a pro-death penalty system.

    What is your percentage/threshold?
    asked and answered



  2. #162
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #163
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,063

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    asked and answered
    Another evasive dodge. You flow into threads making posts that are so damn definitive but I have yet to see you back up anything you say. You haven't answered this simple question, instead you play circle-jerk and say you have. You always weigh in on tax threads and I asked you twice to state what tax structure would you build because all's you do is bitch about taxes but provide no solutions.

    Stand up for yourself. Even if I don't agree with you at least you could garner some respect by showing you actually thought about something rather than just blurting about something then running away when asked about why you have that stance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You are dodging.

    Simple question.

    Facts
    #1) You are for the death penalty
    #2) Death penalty means you will kill those that are not guilty

    Therefore if you are for the death penalty continuing and knowing that it will kill those innocent of said crime, you have to have a threshold that you will accept the innocent being killed to maintain a pro-death penalty system.

    What is your percentage/threshold?
    Clearly that is nonsense. Being for the death penalty simply means you are for people that are found guilty by a jury of their peers to put to death for their act. In almost all cases these means extreme cases and were guilt is clear. This case there is a question on his quilt that can be answered by looking into the DNA Troy Davis wants to be looked at, which it should very well be. In no way does any of this mean the position is born from the wish for innocent people to be put to death. You are only making up stuff to make a position against it. Sure mistakes happen and people are put to death that shouldn't be, but that is exception to the rule and something no one supports.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-21-11 at 11:56 PM.

  5. #165
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Did you know that every time a baby is born, there is a chance they could grow up to be a rapist or murderer? Me personally, I am not so cowardly as to live in fear of some imagined might be scenario.
    Those chances could be moved close to zero if the males were simply terminated.

    .

  6. #166
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,063

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Clearly that is nonsense. Being for the death penalty simply means you are for people that are found guilty by a jury of their peers to put to death for their act. In almost all cases these means extreme cases and were guilt is clear. This case there is a question on his quilt that can be answered by looking into the DNA Troy Davis wants to be looked at. In no way does any of this mean the position is born from the wish for innocent people to be put to death. You are only making up stuff to make a position against it. Sure mistakes happen and people are put to death that shouldn't be, but that is exception to the rule and something no one supports.
    I apologize if that is the way it came off. I never intended to imply that if you are for the death penalty then you "wish for innocent people to be put to death." Of course you want just the guilty to be killed. But there is no judicial system that can produce a 100% proof positive way of killing only the guilty. Therefore you have to be willing to permit executing innocents at some rate in order to fulfill a desire to kill the guilty. There is no way around that.

    There is no 100% proof-positive system in killing just the guilty in a death penalty system but executions are 100% proof-positive in not being reversible.
    Last edited by poweRob; 09-21-11 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #167
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    The deed has been done.............

    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #168
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    this is truly cruel and unusual punishment

    its like those Chuck Norris Missing in action films where some sadistic NVA officer plays Russian Roulette with some POW. they should exhaust all the appeals months in advance rather than strapping the guy down, pulling him up etc

    but I do have issues with the death penalty and this is one reason
    That's quite the rant...

  9. #169
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,063

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The deed has been done.............

    Dan... I haven't seen you in forever. Since PCF. How you doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #170
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am not either, especially when the death penalty becomes a lynching, as it is now. They are now going ahead with the execution. Self defense I am completely OK with. In that regard, I am OK with Troy Davis killing one of the executioners before he dies, if he is able to.
    This is effed up.

    America has disgraced itself today. If a government is going to kill its own people, it better make sure the people being killing are not innocent.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •