Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 310

Thread: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

  1. #101
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    What about a child who's molested but doesn't say anything out of fear for awhile (and after any physical evidence is gone)? Just too bad, so sad?
    You're moving the goal post. Anyway, I'll answer this too. Child abuse has a standard that is very different from a criminal trial, we assume the accused is guilty until proven otherwise and remove the child for their own safety. It doesn't change the fact that the child could be lying (which is very often) or wrong about who abuse them. The people who investigate these things should consider more than the child's word to make any conclusions - like signs of actual physical or sexual abuse, and whether the accuse has the opportunity to conduct the alleged abuse.

    Currently police bring charges against someone based only on the word of a single victim all the time. Those of you who argue they don't, are just inaccurate. To do anything else ignores the realities of how and where crimes are committed. It's up to the jury if they believe the witness by the high standard of proof of beyond a reasonable doubt.
    You didn't ask if people bring charges base on their own beliefs, you asked if the police should believe someone base on that person's words and nothing else. Two very different things. The police and definitely the jury should consider more than eyewitness testimonies, even from the allege victim him/herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  2. #102
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    T is for whatever you want it to be. ýou're pretty good at making **** up that people don't actually say to suit your argument any other time. the death penalty is barbaric and uncivilized. i apply the some feeling to any Country that uses it as punishment. while I oppose the death penalty, the bigger issue for me is that i am bothered by the fact that some states have no difficulty executing a convicted party without an extensive body of physical evidence. if you're going to take somebody's life, you better be damned sure that you know that they're guilty. whether or not Troy Davis is guilty, the evidence doesn't seem to be anywhere close to being conclusive. that is what this thread is about afterall.

    sorry if that makes your butt hurt and you want to take it personally.
    I'm not the one acting butthurt and defensive. Really, I thought I pretty evenly asked you to clarify what you meant. What you said was you're glad your country is much too civilized to execute anyone, no matter if they're actually guilty or not. Did you not say that?

  3. #103
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    That is completely contrary to a convention of American jurisprudence, which believes that it is better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man spend a day in prison. Your worldview is much closer to Nazi justice that would shoot a whole town just to be certain they got the guilty party. Sorry sir, but on matters of justice I say your views are un-American.
    Tigger is a poorly disguised sock puppet. He's a caricature of a right-wing fascist but he manages to contradict himself all the time. (calls himself ultra-authoritarian yet can be found in other threads being borderline libertarian)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,875

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm not the one acting butthurt and defensive. Really, I thought I pretty evenly asked you to clarify what you meant. What you said was you're glad your country is much too civilized to execute anyone, no matter if they're actually guilty or not. Did you not say that?
    i do not, under any circumstances support the death penalty. Your Star said it best imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I would rather let every heinous criminal avoid the gallows to save the one innocent person. The death penalty is just not worth it IMO.
    the life of the person that killed someone I love is not considered an equal trade for my loved one. how can some total stranger assume that by sentencing the offender to death, things will automatically be squared up? it's not and it never will be. it won't bring closure, that has to come from within.

    if anyone is interested, there's an American website out there that opposes the death penalty. they campaign on behalf of murder victims and their families.

    these a real people, real stories. absolutely heartbreaking. these people know what it's like to lose someone they loved very much, and they are completely against the death penalty.
some of them have witnessed the death penalty being carried out and they say that it gives them absolutely no peace at all. in fact it just creates more victims.

    Victims' Stories | Murder Victims
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  5. #105
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I disagree. I think at this point with our technology we should instead require solid physical evidence for execution, but not throw it out entirely.
    that would at least be better than what happens right now. perry should be in jail for what he did. we are so cavalier with lives that we think don't matter.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #106
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    i do not, under any circumstances support the death penalty. Your Star said it best imo.



    the life of the person that killed someone I love is not considered an equal trade for my loved one. how can some total stranger assume that by sentencing the offender to death, things will automatically be squared up? it's not and it never will be. it won't bring closure, that has to come from within.

    if anyone is interested, there's an American website out there that opposes the death penalty. they campaign on behalf of murder victims and their families.

    these a real people, real stories. absolutely heartbreaking. these people know what it's like to lose someone they loved very much, and they are completely against the death penalty.
some of them have witnessed the death penalty being carried out and they say that it gives them absolutely no peace at all. in fact it just creates more victims.

    Victims' Stories | Murder Victims
    Just because some victims families may still oppose the death penalty doesn't mean others haven't found some measure of peace in knowing that the SOB who killed their loved one is no longer, himself, enjoying life. Let's be honest here. The only reason you're talking at all about the crime victims is because I brought it up.

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,875

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Let's be honest here. The only reason you're talking at all about the crime victims is because I brought it up.
    what a surprise, you are wrong again T Factor. i've talked about victims on both sides of the Death Penalty argument many times.

    in fact i i posted the exact same link 2-13-11. some 7 months ago.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/law-an...post1059282146


    ttfn!
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    the life of the person that killed someone I love is not considered an equal trade for my loved one. how can some total stranger assume that by sentencing the offender to death, things will automatically be squared up? it's not and it never will be. it won't bring closure, that has to come from within.
    It's squared up because it's one-for-one. You're right that it isn't an equal trade; but if the Government will at least even it up body-wise, then the victim's families don't have to consider how many of the criminal's relatives might need to meet the same fate to even it up in their minds/hearts.

  9. #109
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    I am for the death penalty in general....why? because the Ted Bundys do not deserve to have a voice for 35 yrs and to cost the rest of us a minimum of a 100,000 a year if he doesnt get sick..

    For those that say the death penalty methods are inhumane...you are correct...people lobbying to stop all other methods brought about this absurd lethal injection....which proponents claim is more humane and painless...sorry folks the most humane and PAINLESS way to engage the dealth penalty is the original way...put a bag over the head and shoot them in the back of the head....painless, less stressful and instantaneous.

    Having said im for the death penalty I want it proven beyond a doubt first...I want dna etc...
    Last edited by lpast; 09-21-11 at 11:53 AM.

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,875

    Re: Troy Davis execution: Georgia pardons board denies plea for clemency

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It's squared up because it's one-for-one. You're right that it isn't an equal trade; but if the Government will at least even it up body-wise, then the victim's families don't have to consider how many of the criminal's relatives might need to meet the same fate to even it up in their minds/hearts.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....

    you can spend it full of hate and vengeance with crazy talk of seeking revenge against criminals relatives but i choose not to live like that.

    each to his own.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •