Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    So you think cutting social security and medicare is a done deal? I dont know is it ?



    Republican voters are evenly split over whether Texas Gov. Rick Perry's outspoken stance on Social Security makes them more or less likely to support him for the presidential nomination, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, but they are worried that his views could cost him in the general election.


    Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    These numbers clearly demonstrate that any politician taking a firm stance against Social Security will lose the support of the vast majority of the American people. This is in line and totally consistent with poll after poll after poll saying that the American people support Social Security in very high numbers.

    The sad thing is that folks like Perry are damn liars. They stand there with a straight face and try to reassure todays seniors - and even some of tomorrows seniors - that the program will be there for them. They then say that for younger workers, they should be able to opt out.

    Now either Perry and others make stupidity look like an afternoon at a MENSA meeting or they are being frauds and liars. Riddle me this Perryman - if younger workers opt out and no longer contribute that 12% in FICA tax - who is it that is contributing to Social Security to make those payments to todays and tomorrows seniors possible? What are you going to tell us a few years from now when we are not even taking in half of what we pay out and you clearly DO NOT WANT to tap into the general funds to make up the difference? What sad story will be accompanied by your crocodile tears as you tell the nation how you really wanted this to work but it just has not worked out the way you intended and we have to deeply cut SS benefits? And Perry knows that is the inevitable future of such a scam idea.

    This poll shows that the American people know better.

    Perry needs to have this stand on Social Security nailed to his forehead so it is out front and center every time he speaks.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #3
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    So you think cutting social security and medicare is a done deal? I dont know is it ?



    Republican voters are evenly split over whether Texas Gov. Rick Perry's outspoken stance on Social Security makes them more or less likely to support him for the presidential nomination, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, but they are worried that his views could cost him in the general election.


    Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans
    All of the repub candidates have similar problems. Their appeals to the teabaggers and other rightwing extremists have led them to make statements the vast majority reject. Even repub voters find their positions objectionable

    I can't wait until the repubs pick a candidate and s/he debates Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #4
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    In all fairness haymarket both sides of the aisle spin to sell to the american people something that they want. To have any chance at all of passing any social security or medicare reform....there has to be #1 a total disclaimer that NOTHING, not one thing will change for anyone 55 an over and the assurance that social security will be there for future generations....Now thats just to SELL change...that doesnt mean the change wont destroy and end social security down the road...and thats exactly what having the "HAVES" opting out of it is intended to do in the long run....it will eventually kill social security which is the teaparty goal.
    Even if they assure that nothing will change for anyone over 55....how happy are the 45-54 yr olds going to be with the teaparty ? a 45 yr old could have effectively been forced to pay social security for 28 yrs
    Last edited by lpast; 09-19-11 at 01:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket
    Riddle me this Perryman - if younger workers opt out and no longer contribute that 12% in FICA tax - who is it that is contributing to Social Security to make those payments to todays and tomorrows seniors possible?
    Some don't want to see and others only see what they want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket
    What sad story will be accompanied by your crocodile tears as you tell the nation how you really wanted this to work but it just has not worked out the way you intended and we have to deeply cut SS benefits?
    This is the end goal, and has been for many, many years, but you can't just slash it all at once, because as the polls have shown, the people just won't stand for it. You've got to go the 'boil the frog' route.


    Another question...IF the SS surplus is just a bunch of worthless IOU's, as some conservatives claim, and the money has been spent as general budget all these years rather than raise taxes...why is it cut off at $106,000? Why are people that earn above that amount exempt from the 6.2% tax that working and middle class Americans have been paying for the past 28 years? And conservatives bitch about the poor not paying FIT....Pffft...
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    In all fairness haymarket both sides of the aisle spin to sell to the american people something that they want. To have any chance at all of passing any social security or medicare reform....there has to be #1 a total disclaimer that NOTHING, not one thing will change for anyone 55 an over and the assurance that social security will be there for future generations....Now thats just to SELL change...that doesnt mean the change wont destroy and end social security down the road...and thats exactly what having the "HAVES" opting out of it is intended to do in the long run....it will eventually kill social security which is the teaparty goal.
    Even if they assure that nothing will change for anyone over 55....how happy are the 45-54 yr olds going to be with the teaparty ? a 45 yr old could have effectively been forced to pay social security for 28 yrs
    What you point out underlines that it is the responsibility of all of us to loudly and forcefully speak out and expose this sort of smoke and mirrors act.

    BWG wisely points out that this is boiling the frog strategy. That is a perfect comparison.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #7
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    So you think cutting social security and medicare is a done deal? I dont know is it ?
    yes, it is. the only question is whether we do it soon in such a way as to avoid cuts to current retirees, or wait a couple of years, and have to end up including them as well.

  8. #8
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yes, it is. the only question is whether we do it soon in such a way as to avoid cuts to current retirees, or wait a couple of years, and have to end up including them as well.
    I know you want that to happen but wishs and hopes dont make it so....we'll see

  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    It doesn't matter what I want or wish or hope. Fiscal and Demographic Reality does not bend to meet political convenience - as the Greeks are currently discovering. The major thing I want to happen is that we get to control the process, rather than our creditors.

  10. #10
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It doesn't matter what I want or wish or hope. Fiscal and Demographic Reality does not bend to meet political convenience - as the Greeks are currently discovering. The major thing I want to happen is that we get to control the process, rather than our creditors.
    Your wishes and hopes /= "reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •