Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

  1. #11
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It doesn't matter what I want or wish or hope. Fiscal and Demographic Reality does not bend to meet political convenience - as the Greeks are currently discovering. The major thing I want to happen is that we get to control the process, rather than our creditors.
    CPwill....I have alot of respect for you marine...not only for that but your obviously a very bright fella, alot brighter than I for sure...but some of us are prone to believe hyperbole an bs...I am not...for me to believe I have to see it not hear it from people that have vested interests...and im not speaking about you...im speaking about young rich teaparty greedsters and foxnews that have been doing their best to depress the country and make us all believe the world is going to end as we know it.....I believe thats all a ploy and a power move by the rich and privledged...until I SEE different thats where I stand

  2. #12
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    So you think cutting social security and medicare is a done deal? I dont know is it ?
    Its a done deal and you better bite the mother****ing bullet

    The sheer cost of funding retirement plans, most of all medical benefits, does weigh heavy on America. Simple ecomonics will dictate that the burden of these costs render companies uncompetitive in the global economy. It's only going to get worse as the bulk of the baby boomers retire over the next 20 years. And anyone who is relying on input from social security long term is a ****ing fool. Thanks Franklin Roosevelt, for the legacy and burden of socialism.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Its a done deal and you better bite the mother****ing bullet.
    Then by all means have all your candidates and the GOP announce that if they get elected they will do away with Social Security and Medicare.

  4. #14
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Then by all means have all your candidates and the GOP announce that if they get elected they will do away with Social Security and Medicare.
    Doing it in one fell swoop would devastate millions, but it needs serious reform that can only be done gradually....

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Then by all means have all your candidates and the GOP announce that if they get elected they will do away with Social Security and Medicare.
    Of course, they will not do anything of the kind. Instead they will rely on the right wing shock troops of CATO and ALEC and the righties on message boards and blogs to set up the self fulfilling prophecy and then pretend that it was not their fault. the politico's like Perry will instead lie through through their teeth reassurring todays seniors that there will be no changes for them and even allowing for the next generation to get on board SS also. Sounds good right? Until you find out they also want younger workers to have the right to opt out which means taking their 12% FICA tax with them and before you know it the SS funds are depleted with precious little new revenues coming in and by that time President Perry will be retired and giving speeches to right wing groups for $250K a pop.

    Its pathetic.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #16
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Its a done deal and you better bite the mother****ing bullet

    The sheer cost of funding retirement plans, most of all medical benefits, does weigh heavy on America. Simple ecomonics will dictate that the burden of these costs render companies uncompetitive in the global economy. It's only going to get worse as the bulk of the baby boomers retire over the next 20 years. And anyone who is relying on input from social security long term is a ****ing fool. Thanks Franklin Roosevelt, for the legacy and burden of socialism.
    I better bite the bullet ?? lol....I dont need social security.....know what your talking bout before you speak...the bulk of the baby boomers will be retired in a couple of years...not 20 many of them are already retired.....and if you think its a done deal...you might be pissing up a rope

  7. #17
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    CPwill....I have alot of respect for you marine...not only for that but your obviously a very bright fella, alot brighter than I for sure...but some of us are prone to believe hyperbole an bs...I am not...for me to believe I have to see it not hear it from people that have vested interests...and im not speaking about you...im speaking about young rich teaparty greedsters and foxnews that have been doing their best to depress the country and make us all believe the world is going to end as we know it.....I believe thats all a ploy and a power move by the rich and privledged...until I SEE different thats where I stand
    man, even Obama now admits there is no way to tax ourselves enough to pay for Medicare. even the AARP now admits we're going to have to cut some Social Security expenditures in order to keep the program solvent. The CBO, the OMB, the IMF, the President's own Bi-Partisan Debt Commission, and every other observer to take a look at our finances are all on the same page here: there is not a physically possible way that these programs will continue as they are currently structured. there is literally not enough money in the world. we're not talking radicals here, we're talking the IMF. tea party greedsters? Obama is a tea party guy? Clinton is a Tea Party Greedster?

  8. #18
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Of course, they will not do anything of the kind. Instead they will rely on the right wing shock troops of CATO and ALEC and the righties on message boards and blogs to set up the self fulfilling prophecy and then pretend that it was not their fault. the politico's like Perry will instead lie through through their teeth reassurring todays seniors that there will be no changes for them and even allowing for the next generation to get on board SS also. Sounds good right? Until you find out they also want younger workers to have the right to opt out which means taking their 12% FICA tax with them and before you know it the SS funds are depleted with precious little new revenues coming in and by that time President Perry will be retired and giving speeches to right wing groups for $250K a pop.

    Its pathetic.
    probably we'd only be allowed to take a portion of our FICA with us, and the benefits would be means-tested so that we're not spending them on the wealthy.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    probably we'd only be allowed to take a portion of our FICA with us, and the benefits would be means-tested so that we're not spending them on the wealthy.
    Means testing would most likely end up as the proverbial slippery slope. In the beginning, it would exclude the very wealthy and then creep downwards until only the destitute and poor would get it. SS would simply become a welfare program. If it were not all destroyed by that, such a tranformation would make it then easy to finish off. It is the boiling of the frog all over again.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #20
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll: Perry's Social Security view concerns some Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    man, even Obama now admits there is no way to tax ourselves enough to pay for Medicare. even the AARP now admits we're going to have to cut some Social Security expenditures in order to keep the program solvent. The CBO, the OMB, the IMF, the President's own Bi-Partisan Debt Commission, and every other observer to take a look at our finances are all on the same page here: there is not a physically possible way that these programs will continue as they are currently structured. there is literally not enough money in the world. we're not talking radicals here, we're talking the IMF. tea party greedsters? Obama is a tea party guy? Clinton is a Tea Party Greedster?

    I wasnt talking about Social Security....but we need to reinstitute the bush tax cuts...which if you remember was an across the board tax cut...so everyone gets a tax increase....we need to do that first...then go from there....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •