Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 1060

Thread: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

  1. #651
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What do you mean by the "capital gain argument"? Just that somebody making that much is paying capital gains tax not income tax?

    Obviously I don't know how much you personally pay in property taxes... That has nothing to do with what we're talking about kiddo. We know how much, on average, different economic brackets pay in property taxes, so there is no excuse to just ignore that to distort the results of our analysis.
    The distortion is throwing in anything other than what one pays in taxes on their income.

  2. #652
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You want to discuss the war, start a new thread and I will join you. Stop trying to derail this one. The cost of the wars were a drop in the bucket of our 14.6 trillion debt but it is red meat to liberals who want to divert from what ever issue they cannot defend.
    It's been estimated that when all is said and done the cost of the war in Iraq will be $3 trillion dollars, hardly a drop in the bucket. Name one thing that was worth that cost in money and lives.


  3. #653
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    and what does the SCOTUS have to say about the New Deal?

    if SCOTUS finds the New Deal programs to be legal, then they are legal.
    wow I think we have a harvard law review editor here.

    things change



  4. #654
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    The distortion is throwing in anything other than what one pays in taxes on their income.
    What do you mean? How could we figure out whether somebody pays their fair share just by looking at one of the taxes? The other ones don't count? Why not? Somebody who pays $100 in sales tax is paying just as much to sustain our society as somebody who pays $100 in income tax...
    Last edited by teamosil; 09-22-11 at 10:26 PM.

  5. #655
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wow I think we have a harvard law review editor here.

    things change
    there is no need to be condescending, as its a pathetic way to debate.

    and yes, SCOTUS can over-rule previous SCOTUS decisions. But until such a day comes, SCOTUS decisions are the law of the land.

  6. #656
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You have a family? If not you have no clue what sacrifice means. Every night you don't sleep well afraid that phone is going to ring or someone from the military is going to show up on your doorstep. If you served, thank you but don't give me that bull**** about not sacrificing when three family members are in combat. Good thing you got out as you give the military a bad name
    What was the sacrifice for, Con?


  7. #657
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What do you mean? How could we figure out whether somebody pays their fair share just by looking at one of the taxes? The other ones don't count? Why not?
    Because we are not able to discern how much people pay in other taxes. I would have assumed that Kerry was paying a pretty penny in taxes on his yacht, until I found out he was trying to hide it so he didn't have to.

    All you can do is assume. I have no desire to argue assumptions.

  8. #658
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    It's been estimated that when all is said and done the cost of the war in Iraq will be $3 trillion dollars, hardly a drop in the bucket. Name one thing that was worth that cost in money and lives.
    Ok, 3 trillion dollars on a 14.6 trillion dollar debt leaving the debt at 11.6 trillion but right now it is 13.4 without the war charges that you say will cost the taxpayers.

  9. #659
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What was the sacrifice for, Con?
    Guess you don't understand that love that exists in a family. That explains a lot about you

  10. #660
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Because we are not able to discern how much people pay in other taxes. I would have assumed that Kerry was paying a pretty penny in taxes on his yacht, until I found out he was trying to hide it so he didn't have to.

    All you can do is assume. I have no desire to argue assumptions.
    That argument doesn't make any sense... We're talking about whether the rich are paying their fair share. We know how much of various taxes the rich pay, we know how much of various taxes the middle class pays. I don't see what relevance you think there is to what exactly dollar amount a specific individual pays.

Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •