Page 61 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1060

Thread: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

  1. #601
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well then, take your case to the supreme court, you should have no problem winning since you are so sure. Or the reality is you do t know what you're talking about and are wrong. I think the more likelihood is you are wrong.
    that's a silly statist argument and you know it.



  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Look, I agree with your position but stop me where I'm wrong as I'm not a tax lawyer. $50K in income is 15% correct? $50 million in capital gains income is 15%, correct? So they pay the same rate.

    Both arguements would be wrong unless I have my figures wrong.
    The president did not mention capital gains or salaries. He mentioned 'earning' and 'pulling in'.

    It seems to me he should make himself clear. But even using your system as both paying the same 15% rate then yes, neither is higher or lower, as he claimed.

  3. #603
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You have no idea how much property tax any one in particular pays. Deriving your money from C.G. does not excuse you from paying sales and property taxes.

    The only honest way to argue it is to argue what is known. Obama is argueing income tax. Or we can just assume the person making $50 mill does it with $25 mill in income and $25 mill in C.G's.
    What do you mean? We know how much property taxes people pay. If we're going to have a conversation about who is paying what share of the taxes we can't just artificially exclude some of them to get an answer we like better.

  4. #604
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's a silly statist argument and you know it.
    No it isn't. You claim to know more than any other lawyer that has deemed it appropriate so take your case to the courts. The simple fact is you are wrong and you know it.

  5. #605
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    No it isn't. You claim to know more than any other lawyer that has deemed it appropriate so take your case to the courts. The simple fact is you are wrong and you know it.
    we have 70+ years of FDR inspired improper precedent



  6. #606
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    we have 70+ years of FDR inspired improper precedent
    In other words YOU are WRONG. You can flash all the catchy phrases you want, but you are wrong. Deal with it!

  7. #607
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The president did not mention capital gains or salaries. He mentioned 'earning' and 'pulling in'.
    He has to be careful with his words. Everyone knows the distinctions but IMO since he plans to do absolutely nothing about the actual problem, he can not state it by name.

    It seems to me he should make himself clear. But even using your system as both paying the same 15% rate then yes, neither is higher or lower, as he claimed.
    Which is really, outside of trying anything you can to disprove someone's arguement one way or another is what we have to go on.

  8. #608
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What do you mean? We know how much property taxes people pay.
    Yeah? How much do I pay?

    If we're going to have a conversation about who is paying what share of the taxes we can't just artificially exclude some of them to get an answer we like better.
    Then those who are excluding the C.G. arguement are free to do so.

  9. #609
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In other words YOU are WRONG. You can flash all the catchy phrases you want, but you are wrong. Deal with it!
    so it is your learned opinion as a respected constitutional lawyer that whatever the supreme court says is written in stone and that no dissenting opinion can be tolerated?

    You are unlearned and clueless on this subject



  10. #610
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The President did not differentiate. I assume they are both earning their incomes.
    Well, obviously you assumed wrong then...

Page 61 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •