Page 60 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1060

Thread: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

  1. #591
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Look, I agree with your position but stop me where I'm wrong as I'm not a tax lawyer. $50K in income is 15% correct? $50 million in capital gains income is 15%, correct? So they pay the same rate.

    Both arguements would be wrong unless I have my figures wrong.
    No, because the person making $50k also pays FICA and payroll taxes on that where the investor does not. And the person making $50k pays sales taxes on a large percentage of their income, where the person making $50m does not. And property taxes and vehicle taxes, etc.

  2. #592
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If you can't back up your claim that all these departments are unconstitutional you should stop saying that.
    I did not say I could not. I said it would be an exercise in futility. I do not need that exercise.

  3. #593
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong, that provision does not authorize such things. try again
    You're saying the taxing and spending clause does not authorize spending? Of course it does... It says it right there that it can tax the people and spend the money to provide for the general welfare... You know that. If you have an argument, don't be coy, present it.

  4. #594
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, because the person making $50k also pays FICA and payroll taxes on that where the investor does not. And the person making $50k pays sales taxes on a large percentage of their income, where the person making $50m does not. And property taxes and vehicle taxes, etc.
    You have no idea how much property tax any one in particular pays. Deriving your money from C.G. does not excuse you from paying sales and property taxes.

    The only honest way to argue it is to argue what is known. Obama is argueing income tax. Or we can just assume the person making $50 mill does it with $25 mill in income and $25 mill in C.G's.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 09-22-11 at 09:13 PM.

  5. #595
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You're saying the taxing and spending clause does not authorize spending? Of course it does... It says it right there that it can tax the people and spend the money to provide for the general welfare... You know that. If you have an argument, don't be coy, present it.
    Why do you believe that one clause, to provide for the general welfare trumps the entire rest of the Constitution?

    See what I mean? It would just be an exercise in futility.

  6. #596
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, because the person making $50k also pays FICA and payroll taxes on that where the investor does not. And the person making $50k pays sales taxes on a large percentage of their income, where the person making $50m does not. And property taxes and vehicle taxes, etc.
    but yet the investor won't receive the same SS benefits then and he pays far more overall tax dollars yet receives no additional benefits. and since food is not taxed where do you get that claim?



  7. #597
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why do you believe that one clause, to provide for the general welfare trumps the entire rest of the Constitution?

    See what I mean? It would just be an exercise in futility.
    they seem to think the TEnth amendment does not exist



  8. #598
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why do you believe that one clause, to provide for the general welfare trumps the entire rest of the Constitution?

    See what I mean? It would just be an exercise in futility.
    teamosil is hopeless, he won't learn.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #599
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong, that provision does not authorize such things. try again

    Well then, take your case to the supreme court, you should have no problem winning since you are so sure. Or the reality is you do t know what you're talking about and are wrong. I think the more likelihood is you are wrong.

  10. #600
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Somebody making $50 million isn't making $50 million in wages... That's the chart for wages...
    The President did not differentiate. I assume they are both earning their incomes.

Page 60 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •