Page 14 of 106 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1060

Thread: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

  1. #131
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Most corporate welfare is corporations keeping more of what they earn and thus "we" aren't giving them anything that they haven't earned. Tax cuts mean more spendable income and allows people to keep more of what they earn. Liberals don't seem to understand that although I bet most of those are college kids here who are being fed total and complete bs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You might want to investigate corporate welfare more. I don't think you have it quite right.
    Boo beat me to the response.

    BTW, polls show most of the youngsters are right leaning these days. I do agree that is because they are being fed total and complete bs (by right-wing talk and Fox).
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 09-20-11 at 04:42 PM.
    I don't want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was wedding between the religious fundamentalists and political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it. ~ Billy Graham in Parade magazine February 1, 1981.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    No, I want to return to an era of common sense when regulations weren't enacted with no forethought.
    So what sort of regulations would you like to end?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #133
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yes, it would be prudent if the harnesses actually helped. Your numbers are worthless unless you can document the roof slopes involved.
    Yet, despite the imminent danger, working at heights without adequate fall protection is fairly commonplace today, especially in the construction industry and, in particular, in roofing and sheet metal work.1 This risky work practice goes far to explain why falls are the leading type of injury and illness in the roofing industry, constituting roughly three-tenths of all its serious cases of injury and illness reported.2


    Profiles in safety and health: roofing and sheet metal work (EXCERPT), Monthly Labor Review Online, Sep. 1990

    You might also read this:

    eLCOSH : Fall Protection: Misconceptions & Myths; Working Within the OSHA System

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #134
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,895
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What about losses? What is the Federal limit on losses? There would be no profit or loss if someone didn't take risk. Why should someone be penalized for taking risk?
    Just my humble opinion, but taxes are more akin to chores than to punishment.
    I may be wrong.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Boo beat me to the response.

    BTW, polls show most of the youngsters are right leaning these days. I do agree that is because they are being fed total and complete bs (by right-wing talk and Fox).
    That's not true. Young people, especially college kids are overwhelmingly liberal.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #136
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yet, despite the imminent danger, working at heights without adequate fall protection is fairly commonplace today, especially in the construction industry and, in particular, in roofing and sheet metal work.1 This risky work practice goes far to explain why falls are the leading type of injury and illness in the roofing industry, constituting roughly three-tenths of all its serious cases of injury and illness reported.2


    Profiles in safety and health: roofing and sheet metal work (EXCERPT), Monthly Labor Review Online, Sep. 1990

    You might also read this:

    eLCOSH : Fall Protection: Misconceptions & Myths; Working Within the OSHA System
    I'll bet the people that wrote these articles have never tripped over safety lines, or more likely ever worn one. In any case, I'm exempt from wearing one and never do.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #137
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I'll bet the people that wrote these articles have never tripped over safety lines, or more likely ever worn one. In any case, I'm exempt from wearing one and never do.
    Maybe, maybe not. Can't say. But I can say most of what I read says it helps with those who use it properly, while not completely eliminating risk. perhaps you can help by presenting somethig that would work better? it might help your employer and make you a fwew bucks. However, the point here is it is an effort to help and seems to have helped some. If you have numbers that show it a complete failure, present them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Can't say. But I can say most of what I read says it helps with those who use it properly, while not completely eliminating risk. perhaps you can help by presenting somethig that would work better? it might help your employer and make you a fwew bucks. However, the point here is it is an effort to help and seems to have helped some. If you have numbers that show it a complete failure, present them.
    As I said, we don't have to wear them when we go on roofs. My numbers are from my observations of workers with enough slack in their safety lines to hit the ground twice. They don't wear them properly because they are cumbersome, a trip hazard, and prevent them from moving more than a few feet. I'll be surprised if falls decrease after a year of this new regulation.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    As I said, we don't have to wear them when we go on roofs. My numbers are from my observations of workers with enough slack in their safety lines to hit the ground twice. They don't wear them properly because they are cumbersome, a trip hazard, and prevent them from moving more than a few feet. I'll be surprised if falls decrease after a year of this new regulation.
    You do realize, as hard as it is to consider, your own obsevations can be just as likely wrong as right. I mean it's possible you're wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do realize, as hard as it is to consider, your own obsevations can be just as likely wrong as right. I mean it's possible you're wrong.
    Sorry, but I'll take my own observations for over 30 years over a brochure linked to at a discussion board.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 14 of 106 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •