Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1060

Thread: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

  1. #91
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You can't encourage them to grow. When you have people who will spend money, they will grow. They'll grow no matter what we do. They are not children who need government to help them. They are in a far better place than the poor.
    As long as we have a regime that causes people to be afraid of spending their money, because they don't know what new law, or regulation is coming at them next, then there won't be any private sector spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #92
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again largely the wealthy's spending is not effected by taxes. You might have an argument with that and the middle class, but not the wealthy.
    What about the folks who aren't super rich?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why raise taxes and take away the private sector's spending power?
    Fact: the ability & willingness of the rich to spend vast sums of money, will not be affected by a 3% increase in their FIT rate.

  4. #94
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Fact: the ability & willingness of the rich to spend vast sums of money, will not be affected by a 3% increase in their FIT rate.
    What about the people who aren't rich?

    Ya'll keep saying, "millionares and billionares", but those aren't the only people that will be affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Given the number of people who are now making a living doing yard work, odd jobs, baby-sitting, being care-givers, etc. because they are unable to find employment with the rich, it could be argued that they have created a lot of new jobs.
    Yeah, but those people are illegal immigrants.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #96
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If more people were working, there would be more revenue.

    The problem as I see, is that the Libbos want to have their cake and eat it, too.

    They want to kill jobs, spend a ****load of money, raise taxes, balance the budget and expect the American people to vote them right back in office.
    True, if more people were working there would be more spending. But business will not take the risk, no matter what you do with taxes. That's the problem we face, and why the only GOVERNMENT can do about it is higher folks, which requires more tax dollars.

    Business won't hire more no matter how much you lower their taxes, and studies show this.

    From the conservative Forbes:

    It’s a mainstay of conservative orthodoxy that tax cuts create jobs. In fact, the complexity of the tax code does create jobs for high-priced tax attorneys and accountants. But do tax cuts create “real” jobs?

    The answer appears to be no for companies big and small.

    Do Tax Cuts Create Jobs? - Forbes

    Others:

    Tax Cuts Don't Create Jobs: 3 New Fact Sheets on State Economic Development

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tax Cuts Don't Create Jobs: 3 New Fact Sheets on State Economic Development

    The theory of tax cuts as economic stimulus has been put to the test – and failed – twice in the past six years alone. As the prolonged recession leads more people to once again consider these same old tried-and-failed policies, it is important to revisit recent history.

    Tax cuts won’t create jobs | Economic Policy Institute

    It's not hard to find evidence to support such a view. Other states with much higher corporate tax rates — Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey — all enjoy significantly lower jobless numbers, as well as hosting the corporate headquarters of many more Fortune 500 companies per capita.

    Tax cuts don't create jobs - St. Petersburg Times

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, your point is?
    Government created jobs.... lots of them for a very long time.

    http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/history.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Valley_Authority
    Last edited by haymarket; 09-20-11 at 03:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    True, if more people were working there would be more spending. But business will not take the risk, no matter what you do with taxes. That's the problem we face, and why the only GOVERNMENT can do about it is higher folks, which requires more tax dollars.

    Business won't hire more no matter how much you lower their taxes, and studies show this.

    From the conservative Forbes:

    It’s a mainstay of conservative orthodoxy that tax cuts create jobs. In fact, the complexity of the tax code does create jobs for high-priced tax attorneys and accountants. But do tax cuts create “real” jobs?

    The answer appears to be no for companies big and small.

    Do Tax Cuts Create Jobs? - Forbes

    Others:

    Tax Cuts Don't Create Jobs: 3 New Fact Sheets on State Economic Development

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tax Cuts Don't Create Jobs: 3 New Fact Sheets on State Economic Development

    The theory of tax cuts as economic stimulus has been put to the test – and failed – twice in the past six years alone. As the prolonged recession leads more people to once again consider these same old tried-and-failed policies, it is important to revisit recent history.

    Tax cuts won’t create jobs | Economic Policy Institute

    It's not hard to find evidence to support such a view. Other states with much higher corporate tax rates — Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey — all enjoy significantly lower jobless numbers, as well as hosting the corporate headquarters of many more Fortune 500 companies per capita.

    Tax cuts don't create jobs - St. Petersburg Times
    Recycling money doesn't work.

    But hey! Keep preaching those plans that have already failed and see where it gets you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What about the folks who aren't super rich?
    Who are we speaking of? My briother in law makes 250 thousand a year, and he is not concerned that much about taxes. he still spends silly.

    I make 100K, and I don't worry much about it.

    You?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #100
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Obama to propose $1.5 trillion in new tax revenue

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Government created jobs.... lots of them for a very long time.
    Who paid for those jobs?

    Who paid for the jobs that Solyndra created? Oh, wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •