Page 68 of 205 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 2044

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

  1. #671
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,541

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Shoulda read the thread Hugh. Show me where Buffett mentioned his secretary(hint: no one has and I cannot find it either). So, the second sentence of your argument has already failed a basic fact check. ALso, you do not seem to understand what Buffett is actually saying, which is about effective tax rates. Might look into that.
    Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

    Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent.

    again that is a lie because someone in the 60K range is in the 25% marginal rate.

    and her overall tax rate is far far lower than 25%

    the only way he can be correct is that she pays 25% on her next dollar and he 18% but that is because he has a DIFFERENT TYPE OF INCOME

    his LIKE INCOME-salary is taxed much higher than hers



  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why do cons go to such great length to use stupid rhetoric instead of trying to have rational discussions? The estate tax(see, I did it again and used the proper name instead of the rhetoric fueled name) is only on large estates as an attempt to minimize the actual impact of the tax on those receiving the estate. It limits the number of "family farm" type situations taxed.
    Half true. What it does is tell people that you don't want to be a large farm on the brink of the limit so they stay smaller, while the very big farms(aka corporations) can handle the tax without any harm what so ever. So in effect it creates a dead zone in between the large and the small farms protecting the large farms. The CBO admits this even.

    Hint: repeating "class envy" every single post does not make it true.
    There is no way the estate tax isn't class envy. It taxes the rich with the idea they don't want the children to be rich with the lie that it will lead to some horrible situation. It's exactly class envy. With a total of 1% of tax revenue coming from it the only reason it exists is to separate people from money.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-21-11 at 10:54 PM.

  3. #673
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,541

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If we can throw out right and wrong as motives to do something, then we can just go with majority rule. In that case, there are more poor and middle class than rich, so you are screwed, and it's ok according to your own logic.
    I oppose majority rule when it comes to taxes. the progressive income tax and death taxes exist only because net tax consumers have the same votes as tax payers



  4. #674
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yet Obama's approval rating is at record lows. As for piss poor candidates, you elected Obama so tell me how it feels? I didn't vote for the incompetent..
    I thought you voted for Bush, am I wrong? I'm happy I voted for Obama, if McCain were elected we would probably have bomb, bomb, bombed Iran by now.


  5. #675
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,541

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Half true. What it does is tell people that you don't want to be a large farm on the brink of the limit so they stay smaller, while the very big farms(aka corporations) can handle the tax without any harm what so ever. So in effect it creates a dead zone in between the large and the small farms protecting the large farms. The CBO admits this even.



    There is no way the estate tax isn't class envy. It taxes the rich with the idea they don't want the children to be rich with the lie that it will lead to some horrible situation. It's exactly class envy.
    Of course its class envy. its certainly not economically efficient given the money wasted trying to avoid it. It persists not only because the envious support it but because of all the special interests that want it

    tax preparers

    Insurance salesmen

    charities who think pushing the death tax gets them more contributions

    government leeches



  6. #676
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,738
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Shoulda read the thread Hugh. Show me where Buffett mentioned his secretary(hint: no one has and I cannot find it either). So, the second sentence of your argument has already failed a basic fact check. ALso, you do not seem to understand what Buffett is actually saying, which is about effective tax rates. Might look into that.
    Receptionist/secretary, janitor/cleaning lady

    Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

    Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
    Taxing people on the grounds of morality - gotta love it!

  7. #677
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I oppose majority rule when it comes to taxes. the progressive income tax and death taxes exist only because net tax consumers have the same votes as tax payers
    You could move to a different country, couldn't you?


  8. #678
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

    Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent.

    again that is a lie because someone in the 60K range is in the 25% marginal rate.

    and her overall tax rate is far far lower than 25%

    the only way he can be correct is that she pays 25% on her next dollar and he 18% but that is because he has a DIFFERENT TYPE OF INCOME

    his LIKE INCOME-salary is taxed much higher than hers
    You realize that is from 2007? Hint: it's not 2007 now.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #679
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Receptionist/secretary, janitor/cleaning lady

    Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online



    Taxing people on the grounds of morality - gotta love it!
    It's still not 2007. Care to try again with the current discussion?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #680
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why do cons go to such great length to use stupid rhetoric instead of trying to have rational discussions?...
    because insults, lies, and half-truths are more fun that honest, intelligent, respectful, & logical debate.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •