Page 189 of 205 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2044

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

  1. #1881
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    38% looks pretty good if you compare it to the approval rating of congress which is 11%, I have bolded the parts for you that will determine the 2012 elections



    Republican candidates referring to the OWS demonstrators as mobs, republicans referring to OWS demonstrators as idiots and worst will be on the minds of the demonstrators when they enter the voting booth in 2012

    The American jobs bill has the support of the majority of Americans they will remember who heard them when they enter the voting booth in 2012

    Now come on, in reality . those numbers are amazing low, when you consider that less then 1% of our population earn 1 million or more.

    It's human nature to say .. sure tax someone else as long as it's not me and seeing over 99% of the population makes under 1 million dollars per year, those numbers are very low.

    I've always been one of the few conservatives that have said over and over, I'm in favor of letting all the 2010 tax cuts that were extended end. But only if they let them all end, for everyone.

    Well I could be convinced for a nominal rate hike on the so called rich, I'm even more in favor of making the 45% that pay nothing in federal income tax, pay something I don't care if it's only 5 dollars a week. We have to have all people have a dog in the hunt. When you pay nothing, then you have no reason to worry about the deficit, or our debt, or for that matter anything the government does.

    So while most liberals are so concerned with 7.8 million people that make 1 million or more I'm wondering why there isn't more concern over the 70 million people that contribute nothing in the way of federal income tax.

  2. #1882
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    The other differences you choose to ignore ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy which lost 1.1 million jobs in the month he started ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy with 21 million people underemployed ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy in recession ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy with -8.9% GDP ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy with a crushed housing market ... Reagan wasn't handed an economy with an unemployment rate of 14%.

    You also choose to ignore that polls continue to reveal that most people still blame Bush for the current economic conditions by a margin of roughly 3 to 2.
    Reagan was handed an economy with a misery index of 20 and rising unemployment. The interest rates were 17.5%. You have to get over your hatred of Reagan and accept responsibility for the failure of Obama. It is foolish to continue to look backwards because it blinds you to the present.

  3. #1883
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You're harping up the wrong tree if you think you can get Conservative to use the same terms in comparisons. We've been over this at least a dozen times. Conservatives picks whatever he thinks supports his position, even when it makes little to no sense.
    I know how fair you and others want to be so I am confident that you don't want to mislead anyone else here by claiming that the unemployment numbers prior to 1994 are the same as the numbers today? Prior to 1994 which I am sure you understand discouraged workers were included in the unemployment numbers but after 1994 they were taken out. That obviously was just an oversight on your part. Hopefully in the future you won't make that same mistake. Reagan's unemployment rate included the discouraged whereas today's rate of 9.1% doesn't thus leaving out over a million that dropped out of the labor market and off the unemployment roles. That would have put the unemployment rate at 9.8%

  4. #1884
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Now come on, in reality . those numbers are amazing low, when you consider that less then 1% of our population earn 1 million or more.

    It's human nature to say .. sure tax someone else as long as it's not me and seeing over 99% of the population makes under 1 million dollars per year, those numbers are very low.

    I've always been one of the few conservatives that have said over and over, I'm in favor of letting all the 2010 tax cuts that were extended end. But only if they let them all end, for everyone.

    Well I could be convinced for a nominal rate hike on the so called rich, I'm even more in favor of making the 45% that pay nothing in federal income tax, pay something I don't care if it's only 5 dollars a week. We have to have all people have a dog in the hunt. When you pay nothing, then you have no reason to worry about the deficit, or our debt, or for that matter anything the government does.

    So while most liberals are so concerned with 7.8 million people that make 1 million or more I'm wondering why there isn't more concern over the 70 million people that contribute nothing in the way of federal income tax.
    Gallup has Obama approval rating at 38% so to divert from that liberals and other Obama supporters always point to Congressional Approval ratings as if Congressional elections are national. The only poll that matters in Congressional ratings are the local ones for even most of the liberals here support their Congressioal Representative even though the rest of the country may not.

    It is also human nature for people that don't pay any taxes to support increases in taxes on those that do pay taxes and that is the problem here. In addition logic and common sense have no place in this debate for as you rightly pointed out there aren't enough rich people to fund the liberal spending appetite nor will there ever be. You won't find many here even acknowledge the 70 million income earners that are paying ZERO in FIT for to do so destroys their argument. What they will do is point to other taxes which have nothing to do with funding the Federal Govt. That is a losing argument for liberals and they know it.

  5. #1885
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Reagan was handed an economy with a misery index of 20 and rising unemployment. The interest rates were 17.5%.
    Which is a cake walk compared to a financial recession marred by vicious deleveraging cycle. Even the savings and loans crisis was a far more damaging than an economic downturn manufactured by then Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volker.

    "This has been the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. There is no question about it," said Mark Gertler, a New York University economist who worked with fellow academic Ben Bernanke, now the Federal Reserve chairman, to explain how financial turmoil can infect the overall economy. "But at the same time we have the policy mechanisms in place fighting it, which is something we didn't have during the Great Depression."
    source
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #1886
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I will never support a tax increase until the loopholes are closed on ALL taxpayers so that the 65 Plus million WORKING Americans pay something in taxes and then actual spending cuts starting with taking the budget back to the 2008 levels. After that is done then we can discuss Tax increases.
    Great. Close the loopholes. On everyone, and count capital gains as the income that it is, and enact a flat tax. I'd be in favor of that. No loopholes = everyone pays their fair share. Not that you'd be in favor of that when you saw the reality of that.

    So what's so great about the 2008 spending? Wasn't it out of control then? Or was everything magical and wonderful because the President was a Republican?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #1887
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

    Nor can you point out a single bill from 2007 or earily 2008, that would have done anything to to slow, stop, or even ease the pain of the crash, can you ? What does that say about your liberal party ?
    Of course I can't show you a bill from 2007 or 2008 that would have prevented the crash because by then, the damage had been done, there was nothing they could have done to prevent the housing and credit meltdown. The housing bubble began to crash in 2006. The time to do something to curb the greed which took hold in the credit market was years earlier. What Republicans and Conservatives, who are desperate to blame Democrats in order to save the Replican party, refuse (by choice) to understand, is that the 2008 crash was years in the making. It wasn't caused by events in 2007 or 2008. It occurred because so many people took out loans years earlier which delayed interest payments they couldn't afford, while many others found themselves upsidedown on their loans because housing prices devalued so quickly. There's simply no way you can pin this on Democrats. Clinton is the only Democrat with proverbial blood on his hands. He enabled this to occur by signing the Republican Gramm-Leach-Bliley bill. Republicans pushed homeownership through Congress during Clinton's term and then through Bush's terms. Democrats were on the wrong side of the issue as well but they weren't in control of the Congress until it was too late to prevent the impending collapse.

  8. #1888
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Allow me to point out this is 2011 and the numbers today are worse than when Obama took office. There are over 25 million unemployed and under employed Americans TODAY and over 4 trillion added to the debt in the last 2 1/2 years. That is reality and it has nothing to do with Bush.

    That has everything to do with Bush. Bush's Great Recession lost 12 million to underemployment in 18 months. At no time in history has the U.S. lost so many that quickly. The number of unemployed doubled. On top of that, Bush led us into the Great Depression, crashing the housing markets and the credit markets. No president could recover from that this quickly. That's why polls still reflect that most still blame Bush for today's ecomomy. You don't have to accept that for that to be the case.

    Furthermore, the 4 million additional underemployed on Obama's watch occurred during his first 5 months in office, during Bush's Great Recession. That's all on Bush, not Obama.

  9. #1889
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you have a problem with basic facts, Federal Income taxes fund the major portion of the Federal Govt. period and that is what 47% of the INCOME EARNERS aren't paying. Get back to me when you figure that out? Do you think that lower income people should pay something to the govt? There are over 65 million WORKING Americans paying nothing. Imagine $100 or more a year from those 65 million. Until you address that reality none of your charts have any meaning.
    You have such a unique argument style. In retort, you offer no new facts nor do you do anything to better support or explain your original assertion. Instead, you simply YELL and insult. Though this is the modus operandi of Fox News, its not a winning strategy in too many debate circles.

    I did have a problem with your original fact: It is not 47% of Income Earners, its 47% of households (Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance) and (Yes, 47% of Households Owe No Taxes. Look Closer. - NYTimes.com).

    Income earners are a subset of households. As I pointed out, the pool of persons not paying income tax includes those living only on social security, the unemployed and the entrepreneur, whose business is not yet in the black. These people have no taxable income... moreover, you also fail to understand that our income tax system does not now, nor has it ever, taxed dollar one of income. It taxes discretionary income. The fact is, that only half of US households have discretionary income. In fact, from 2007 to 2009, the percentage of households not paying FIT

    That is just arguing FIT. Personally, I think the distinction between FIT and taxes is general is beyond moot. Very few people really understand what tax pays for what anyway. In fact, in Washington, they have used payroll taxes to make up the shortfall caused by income tax cuts...so arguing there is much of a distinction is rapidly evolving into an irrelevant academic exercise. All in, we have a flat tax system with just about everyone paying 25%.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #1890
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Reagan was handed an economy with a misery index of 20 and rising unemployment. The interest rates were 17.5%.
    It's pathetic that you can't understand how you lose your argument when you lie. The truth is, Reagan was not handed an economy with rising unemployment, you lied. The unemployment rate peaked in June '80 at 7.8% and trickled down to 7.5% by January '81. And interest rates, which if you knew anything, you'd know are not an economic indicator, were artificially high to combat inflation, which was a huge problem at the time.

    Now stop lying.


    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You have to get over your hatred of Reagan and accept responsibility for the failure of Obama. It is foolish to continue to look backwards because it blinds you to the present.
    I bear no hatred for Reagan and even told you that I voted for him -- stop the ****ing lying, will ya? Or can't you? Maybe you're just a pathological liar and you can't help yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •