Page 178 of 205 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2044

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

  1. #1771
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Oh, you want to talk about history but only the history you want to talk about. That's great, man. I love that you think I proved your point, showing your reading comprehension to be lacking. Yes, a progressive tax was proposed to fund the War of 1812 and one was implemented for the Civil War. But there were previous progressive taxes in Europe centuries before (you know, the place that almost every politician in the United States originated from). Not to mention, as I showed, the progressive tax was scrapped after the Civil War and switched to a flat tax. It was years later when the Progressive Tax was reimplemented because, as the politician said, "because none of us here have $4,000 incomes, and somebody else will have to pay the tax."

    What exactly would you take his words to mean? You want to talk history, but you only want to talk about one instance of it. That's not history, that's you pointing at one time in history emphatically and expecting others to give a ****.
    First, I would like to ask you how you made the excerpts from your references, which I found and read, have blocks around them in the post? If I could do that, it would save us both a ton of time. I tend to not post my entire reference material, because all I know how to do is copy and paste. Guess I'm a noob.

    Secondly, the progressive tax was not implemented till later because at the time, we still had a very representative democracy. We had presidents who appointed justices based on real merits, rather than just having another person "on the same team" as themself, as it done today. Some excerpts from the links I posted for Catawba...

    "One exception was during the Civil War, when a progressive income tax was first enacted. Interestingly, the tax had a maximum rate of 10 percent, and it was repealed in 1872. As Representative Justin Morrill of Vermont observed, “in this country we neither create nor tolerate any distinction of rank, race, or color, and should not tolerate anything else than entire equality in our taxes.”"

    "When Congress passed another income tax in 1894—one that only hit the top 2 percent of wealth holders—the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional. Stephen Field, a veteran of 30 years on the Court, was outraged that Congress would pass a bill to tax a small voting bloc and exempt the larger group of voters. At age 77, Field not only repudiated Congress’s actions, he also penned a prophecy. A small progressive tax, he predicted, “will be but the stepping stone to others, larger and more sweeping, till our political contests will become a war of the poor against the rich.”"

    Wow. He predicted class warfare. Now, it DID eventually pass, because, let's face it, SOMEONE has to pay the bills. And since no one ever seems to bother to explain to our rulers that one shouldn't spend more than they have TO spend, then taxes are always going to have to go up. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

    And last, since you are fixated on what happened in Europe in the 14th century, fine, let's go there, shall we? Baring the little ice age, and the black plague, still not very good times for commoners in England. You forget to mention that the 500% tax on these dukes were not paid by the dukes, but by the people who work the duke's lands. Surely you've seen a Robin Hood movie or two? The vassals and lords owed their taxes to the crown, in the form of money and goods, and in order to pay it, they starved their own people. Not exactly a very supportive argument for the benevolence of the progressive taxation system.

  2. #1772
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    I spent 35 years in the business world and ran a huge business.
    Yet you still don't know the difference between BLS's payroll data from their household survey data or why it's dishonest of you to selectively pick between the two.




    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Hereare snippets from a book of "Impressions & Observations" ofSecretService personnel assigned to guard U.S. Presidents/First Ladies, and Vice Presidents.
    Why are you so afraid to tell me the title of that book, Conservative? Don't you defend what you post? Or is what you post such BS that you realize it's not worth defending?

  3. #1773
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    B

    Before Reagan the US was a creditor nation.
    Before Reagan there was a strong Soviet Union and a Cold War

  4. #1774
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Before Reagan there was a strong Soviet Union and a Cold War
    After Reagen, the united states became a corporation.

  5. #1775
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Oh man. I really want you to back these statements up (especially the one about why it "got through"). Good luck.
    "In 1913, almost 20 years later, the ideas of uniform taxation and equal protection of the law for all citizens were overturned when a constitutional amendment permitting a progressive income tax was ratified. Congress first set the top rate at a mere 7 percent—and married couples were only taxed on income over $4,000 (equivalent to $80,000 today). During the tax debate, William Shelton, a Georgian, supported the income tax “because none of us here have $4,000 incomes, and somebody else will have to pay the tax.” As Madison and Field had feared, the seeds of class warfare were sown in the strategy of different rates for different incomes.

    It took the politicians less than one generation to hike the tax rates and fulfill Field’s prophecy. Herbert Hoover and Franklin Roosevelt, using the excuses of depression and war, permanently enlarged the income tax. Under Hoover, the top rate was hiked from 24 to 63 percent. Under Roosevelt, the top rate was again raised—first to 79 percent and later to 90 percent. In 1941, in fact, Roosevelt proposed a 99.5 percent marginal rate on all incomes over $100,000. “Why not?” he said when an adviser questioned him."

    Again, taken directly from the links I supplied on the subject. And here's the thing...if "no one here has 4,000 dollar incomes", why was congress pending more than they new they could take? Why was that OK? Do you want me to answer that question with another brief explanation of what institutions came into power at that SAME time?

  6. #1776
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Before Reagan there was a strong Soviet Union and a Cold War

    So you wanna change the subject now?

  7. #1777
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Yet you still don't know the difference between BLS's payroll data from their household survey data or why it's dishonest of you to selectively pick between the two.





    Why are you so afraid to tell me the title of that book, Conservative? Don't you defend what you post? Or is what you post such BS that you realize it's not worth defending?
    Because the total is the important number not the selected data that you use. Just like liberals using the public debt data for the deficit and ignoring intergovt holdings. You ignore the Establishment data because you think it makes you look good. Fact remains that the total of 16.5% is being over looked just like the total of over 25 million unemployed and under employed. When did Bush ever have that high of a number? Doesn't it bother you that the 25 million plus number is in September 2011 over 2 1/2 years into the Obama term? That is why Obama has a very low approval rating, one that you continue to ignore.

  8. #1778
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Research only tells you so much unless you get actual data, what were the economic conditions that Reagan inherited? ever hear of the misery index? Any idea what the GDP was? How about employment and unemployment? Does it really matter to you or do you simply want attention to divert from the Obama failures?
    GDP??? Tell me you didn't just go there??

    GDP during 4th quarter, 1980, was 7.6% growth!

    Try comparing that to what Obama inherited ...

    GDP during 4th quarter, 2008, was an 8.9% decline.

    Is it always your goal to undermine your own position like that?







    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Hereare snippets from a book of "Impressions & Observations" ofSecretService personnel assigned to guard U.S. Presidents/First Ladies, and Vice Presidents.
    Why are you so afraid to tell me the title of that book, Conservative? Don't you defend what you post? Or is what you post such BS that you realize it's not worth defending?



  9. #1779
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Ok, to be more direct, you are not correct that raising taxes means a business raises prices and the consumer pays those taxes. Income taxes are not an operating costs, rather they are costs unique to the form of the organization of a business. A business operator can not simply pass his income taxes to his customer because he wants to make more money.

    Not true. A tax is no different than a fee. It is an expense that NEEDS to be paid in order to stay in business, ergo, it is an operating cost. I have witness the increase in taxes and fees increase the cost of goods, personally, so I know it happens. You can argue with me till you're blue in the face, but it's not going to make me suddenly think that what I have seen with my own two eyes didn't happen.

  10. #1780
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    GDP??? Tell me you didn't just go there??

    GDP during 4th quarter, 1980, was 7.6% growth!

    Try comparing that to what Obama inherited ...

    GDP during 4th quarter, 2008, was an 8.9% decline.

    Is it always your goal to undermine your own position like that?








    Why are you so afraid to tell me the title of that book, Conservative? Don't you defend what you post? Or is what you post such BS that you realize it's not worth defending?


    Let's see if I can get through to you, Reagan isn't in office, GWH Bush isn't in office, Bill Clinton isn't in office, GW Bush isn't in office. Obama is in office and responsible for the economy which today has 9.1% officially unemployed, 16.5% unemployed and under employed and that means over 25 million Americans aren't working at all or working full time. Still waiting for you to give me the month that GW Bush had 25 million unemployed or under employed Americans?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •