Page 164 of 205 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2044

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

  1. #1631
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Again, not yet. But again, history shows us that giving a mouse a cookie results in it asking for a glass of milk. And uncle sam doesn't ask, he demands. Once upon a time, therre was no income tax. Then there was. Then it became permanent. Then it went from 2% to the rates it is at now.

    My house today is worth maybe 180,000. Two years ago, when I bought it, I got it for 145,000. 45 years ago, this same house likely sold for 10 grand, or so. Imagine it's value, then, in another 45 years.
    the scumbags who pushed the income tax said it was temporary. one of the biggest pushers for the income tax were the prohibitionists. They pushed for an income tax because the government's main revenue source was excise taxes on "spirits"



  2. #1632
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the dubious social engineering arguments for the death tax completely evaporated when the 16th Amendment was passed and massive confiscatory progressive tax rates were imposed at federal and state level
    If progressive tax rate were confiscatory why have the wealthiest Americans seen the highest rates of growth in wealth?

  3. #1633
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    If progressive tax rate were confiscatory why have the wealthiest Americans seen the highest rates of growth in wealth?
    because of many things that include

    1) the changing economy that rewards high intelligence and high technical skills

    2) it takes money to make money and if I make 1.5 million a year and only spend 100K (not counting 375K in taxes) I have about a million a year to invest which I do and that makes me more money.

    3) the welfare state discourages lots of people from being competitive

    4) the welfare state encourages much irresponsible and counter=productive behavior



  4. #1634
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    because of many things that include

    1) the changing economy that rewards high intelligence and high technical skills

    2) it takes money to make money and if I make 1.5 million a year and only spend 100K (not counting 375K in taxes) I have about a million a year to invest which I do and that makes me more money.

    3) the welfare state discourages lots of people from being competitive

    4) the welfare state encourages much irresponsible and counter=productive behavior
    1) has always been the claim of why the wealthy are wealthy
    2)Of course, which is the argument for estate taxes, the passing down of fortunes and a permanant moneyed class in America....ala European aristocracy
    3) and 4) Not really getting you here. I think you're saying less competition for a smaller group of Americans is causing the concentration? When the largest wealth was gained by the top we had some of the lowest historical unemployment rates in history.

  5. #1635
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I live SW Ohio

    I can post on personal time. Do you have a job Earl?
    I am retired drawing two pensions and SS I am really bored I would love to go to work any where is your company hiring, I could relocate and we could go hunting together, don't worry unlike VP Cheney I do not drink or do drugs

  6. #1636
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    1) has always been the claim of why the wealthy are wealthy
    2)Of course, which is the argument for estate taxes, the passing down of fortunes and a permanant moneyed class in America....ala European aristocracy
    3) and 4) Not really getting you here. I think you're saying less competition for a smaller group of Americans is causing the concentration? When the largest wealth was gained by the top we had some of the lowest historical unemployment rates in history.
    one of the main reasons why I am rather reserved in my spending, why I drive an 11 year old car with 155K on it rather than buy one every year is because I want to give my son a better life than I have had. Sorry if the parasites don't like that.

    You have no righteous claim on what I have earned and your existence has contributed NOTHING to my wealth. I don't expect you to pay for me or mine so I have no use for you acting as if I should pay for you or yours



  7. #1637
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    I am retired drawing two pensions and SS I am really bored I would love to go to work any where is your company hiring, I could relocate and we could go hunting together, don't worry unlike VP Cheney I do not drink or do drugs
    the last guy my office hired was the #1 student at MSU who graduated in the top 15 of his class at Harvard Law

    you have that sort of resume?



  8. #1638
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    one of the main reasons why I am rather reserved in my spending, why I drive an 11 year old car with 155K on it rather than buy one every year is because I want to give my son a better life than I have had. Sorry if the parasites don't like that.

    You have no righteous claim on what I have earned and your existence has contributed NOTHING to my wealth. I don't expect you to pay for me or mine so I have no use for you acting as if I should pay for you or yours
    Why are you personalizing this.
    I don't want nor need your money.

  9. #1639
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Why are you personalizing this.
    I don't want nor need your money.
    then stop pushing for policies that demand money from others



  10. #1640
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires

    [QUOTE=EarlzP;1059853367]



    If jobs continue to leave the USA and the countries wealth continues upward your home will be worth less in 45 years
    Actually, as wages begin to rise in place like China and India, some of those manufacturing jobs are already starting to come back to the US. Even if wages are not equal to US wages, the cost of shipping more than makes up for the difference, especially with the volatility in oil prices and futures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •