Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 284

Thread: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And that is just as wrong. It's showing that they are not wanting to fix the problem, they only want to pander to their base.

    I dont see how anyone Dem or Rep can support what their side is doing.
    There we go. The problem is both sides and until enough people are willing to recognize, and admit that, things will only get worse.

  2. #52
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Why? Because things would then be so much simplier. We could cut the IRS way back. Politicians would no longer be able to promise all these cuts for votes.

    0-25,000 FLAT 2%
    25-50,000 FLAT 12%
    50-100,000 FLAT 15%
    100-250,000 Flat 18%

    Etc, Etc, Etc. (numbers only used for the example, I don't know what they would be exactly)

    What is wrong with that?
    I think this sort of system would be great, personally.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,308

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike - Bloomberg


    Can someone explain how this is any different than what Republicans have been implementing since Reagan? A system that has only produced more deficits due a reduction of government revenue and the development of systemic problems due to a lack of reasonable regulations? If it didn't work then, why request we continue to try the same crap?
    Can you explain to me why liberals always are more concerned about tax revenue to the govt. and class warfare than doing what is right which is cutting the size of govt? The difference is quite clear between Republicans and Democrats, Republicans don't care what liberals make or pay in taxes whereas liberals are all about jealousy of what someone else makes or pays in taxes.

    We currently have a 3.7 trillion dollar Federal Govt. and until liberals realize that no amount of money will ever satisfy the liberal spending appetite we are going to continue to have a divide between Democrats and Republicans.

    When you say it didn't work then, please be specific, what didn't work? GDP Doubled, Govt. revenue doubled, 17 million jobs were created after the worst recession since the Great Depression and job losses the first two years?

    When will liberals realize we have a spending problem and not a revenue problem? Until the govt. gets spending under control why send them any more money to waste? There is no evidence that sending the govt. more money will ever be put to deficit reduction as politicians are more concerned about keeping their jobs by buying votes instead of doing their job.

  4. #54
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Can you explain to me why liberals always are more concerned about tax revenue to the govt. and class warfare than doing what is right which is cutting the size of govt? The difference is quite clear between Republicans and Democrats, Republicans don't care what liberals make or pay in taxes whereas liberals are all about jealousy of what someone else makes or pays in taxes.

    We currently have a 3.7 trillion dollar Federal Govt. and until liberals realize that no amount of money will ever satisfy the liberal spending appetite we are going to continue to have a divide between Democrats and Republicans.


    When you say it didn't work then, please be specific, what didn't work? GDP Doubled, Govt. revenue doubled, 17 million jobs were created after the worst recession since the Great Depression and job losses the first two years?

    When will liberals realize we have a spending problem and not a revenue problem? Until the govt. gets spending under control why send them any more money to waste? There is no evidence that sending the govt. more money will ever be put to deficit reduction as politicians are more concerned about keeping their jobs by buying votes instead of doing their job.
    well, that's bull****. many, many republicans on this board are all for taxing low income people more. and it seems to me the clinton years worked exceptionally well.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #55
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    and it seems to me the clinton years worked exceptionally well.
    You're right. That's what a Republican controlled Congress will get you. After all, it's Congress that controls the purse strings and passes laws.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #56
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Can you explain to me why liberals always are more concerned about tax revenue to the govt. and class warfare than doing what is right which is cutting the size of govt?
    You have not made the argument that cutting the size of govt is "right".

    Historically, the "size" of govt, as you seem to be measuring it, has been about 20% of GDP. Is that "size" the correct one? Or do you want it smaller? (and if so, why is that "right"?)

  7. #57
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You're right. That's what a Republican controlled Congress will get you. After all, it's Congress that controls the purse strings and passes laws.
    Right ... except the Republicans didn't support the main ingredients responsible for the balanced budget: tax hikes and military spending cuts.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right ... except the Republicans didn't support the main ingredients responsible for the balanced budget: tax hikes and military spending cuts.
    Really? Do you mean the welfare reform legislation in 1996 or the taxpayer relief act of 1997??

    There was no balanced budget.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #59
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,308

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    well, that's bull****. many, many republicans on this board are all for taxing low income people more. and it seems to me the clinton years worked exceptionally well.
    Taxing low income people more? Poor income people DON'T PAY ANY FEDERAL INCOME TAXES! The Clinton years worked great because Clinton gave us a GOP Congress or did you forget?

  10. #60
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,308

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You have not made the argument that cutting the size of govt is "right".

    Historically, the "size" of govt, as you seem to be measuring it, has been about 20% of GDP. Is that "size" the correct one? Or do you want it smaller? (and if so, why is that "right"?)
    The size of Govt. is 3.7 trillion dollars and the debt is almost equal to GDP. Why do we need a 3.7 trillion dollar govt/

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •