Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 284

Thread: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What a flat tax means is that all income brackets pay the same percentage. What you're describing is a much lower, but still progressive, tax system.
    What you are saying is you are unable to look beyond your preconcieved notions. Nowhere is anything written that says all brackets must pay the same FLAT rate.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    What you are saying is you are unable to look beyond your preconcieved notions. Nowhere is anything written that says all brackets must pay the same FLAT rate.
    No, teamosil is right. A flat tax is where all income brackets pay the same percentage. You wrote down a gradual tax system. Here's three sources where it is, in fact, written.

    What is flat tax? definition and meaning
    flat tax - definition of flat tax by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Flat Tax Definition
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 09-18-11 at 05:07 PM.

  3. #23
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    What you are saying is you are unable to look beyond your preconcieved notions. Nowhere is anything written that says all brackets must pay the same FLAT rate.
    The definition of a flat tax is one where all income brackets pay the same percentage as theplaydrive showed above.

    I suspect that what you mean is that you support progressive taxation with no deductions or loopholes. Right?
    Last edited by teamosil; 09-18-11 at 05:09 PM.

  4. #24
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    I could see some interesting compromises if people actually wanted to overhaul the tax system. For example, eliminate social security and medicare taxes and roll it into federal income tax. Eliminate corporate income tax, but also tax long term capital gains and dividends at ordinary tax rates. But while everyone is sitting at the table saying "No, X is OFF THE TABLE!" no real reform can occur.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike - Bloomberg

    Can someone explain how this is any different than what Republicans have been implementing since Reagan? A system that has only produced more deficits due a reduction of government revenue and the development of systemic problems due to a lack of reasonable regulations? If it didn't work then, why request we continue to try the same crap?
    Question is irrelevant. The true mystery is: does Boehner truly believe what he is saying, or is it merely political posturing? If the former, we should be very, very worried... for in that case the obvious goal of various Republican/Tea Party proposals are to subjugate the middle class to an economic slavery not seen since the early part of the 20th century... or earlier. Let's not forget that unfettered capitalism built this country on the backs of abused workers (slaves, coolies, children, women).

    Given that, when some on the right say they want their country back, I wonder just how far back . . . .

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The definition of a flat tax is one where all income brackets pay the same percentage as theplaydrive showed above.

    I suspect that what you mean is that you support progressive taxation with no deductions or loopholes. Right?
    I support people paying a flat percentage of their income.

  7. #27
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I support people paying a flat percentage of their income.
    Not sure how you mean. The way it works currently is that everybody pays x% on the first $a they make, then everybody pays y% on the next $b they make, and z% on the $c after that, and so on. So, if you make $8,500 you pay 10%. If you make $9,500 you pay 10% on $8,500 of that and 15% on $1,000 of that. Those amounts are reduced by various deductions and loopholes. So, you could be saying you want to go to a system where if you make $9,500 (assuming the rates stayed the same) you pay 15% on all $9,500. Or you could be saying eliminate deductions and loopholes, but I already suggested that and you didn't confirm that was what you meant. Maybe explain more?

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Not sure how you mean. The way it works currently is that everybody pays x% on the first $a they make, then everybody pays y% on the next $b they make, and z% on the $c after that, and so on. So, if you make $8,500 you pay 10%. If you make $9,500 you pay 10% on $8,500 of that and 15% on $1,000 of that. Those amounts are reduced by various deductions and loopholes. So, you could be saying you want to go to a system where if you make $9,500 (assuming the rates stayed the same) you pay 15% on all $9,500. Or you could be saying eliminate deductions and loopholes, but I already suggested that and you didn't confirm that was what you meant. Maybe explain more?
    I support everyone pay a flat percentage of their income. As simple as that. There is nothing else to it.

  9. #29
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I support everyone pay a flat percentage of their income. As simple as that. There is nothing else to it.
    So using your earlier numbers, if I make $24,999 I would pay $500 tax. If I make $25,001 I would pay $3,000 tax. Am I understanding correctly?

  10. #30
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Boehner Asks Debt Panel to Take on Tax Breaks, Reject Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Allow me to help you further peel back the veneer; they are not.
    Exactly! The supposedly "new and improved" GOP plan for less taxes and less regulations on the "job creators" is simply putting lipstick on the 30 year old trickle down economics pig.

    To American voters - If a dog bites you once, the dog is to blame. If a dog continues to bite you for 30 years, and you continue to let him bite you, then you are to blame.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •