Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 396

Thread: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Because, genius, the people who spend the most money are the lower class. The goal is to give them more money to spend, not less. That's how you get money back into circulation and fix the economy. Or is your goal something different than that?
    TD is a Leprechaun.

  2. #42
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Because, genius, the people who spend the most money are the lower class. The goal is to give them more money to spend, not less. That's how you get money back into circulation and fix the economy. Or is your goal something different than that?
    well thank you, but its been years since I had my IQ tested and I really don't know if its the genius level it was at age 12 or so but the fact is if people don't pay income taxes they seem to have less hesitancy to jack it up-especially on others

    one of the main reasons to make everyone pay income taxes is to deter them from demanding more and more government spending. You see if you have to pay the bill, you tend to be less likely to want the credit card spending run up



  3. #43
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well thank you, but its been years since I had my IQ tested and I really don't know if its the genius level it was at age 12 or so but the fact is if people don't pay income taxes they seem to have less hesitancy to jack it up-especially on others

    one of the main reasons to make everyone pay income taxes is to deter them from demanding more and more government spending. You see if you have to pay the bill, you tend to be less likely to want the credit card spending run up
    So basically, your goal is to reduce government spending as much as possible, and screw the economy. Is that about right?
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  4. #44
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    So basically, your goal is to reduce government spending as much as possible, and screw the economy. Is that about right?
    1) to reduce government to its proper constitutional boundaries

    2) to prevent a system which encourages politicians to pander to a large number of voters by promising them stuff paid for by others because

    3) such a system tends to expand government and government spending far beyond their proper boundaries and encourage the masses to jack up taxes on those who pay far too much of the taxes as it is

    4) The economy is screwed because of many factors-some things we can control and some we cannot (such as other countries providing competent labor for far less cost)

    however, massive government spending and massive public addiction to that spending are major reasons for the economy being screwed and the only way to cut that problem back is to remove the incentives many voters have to vote for big spending politicians

    making everyone pay more taxes when the government spends more is one of those needed dis-incentives; Your desire to only make a small group pay more ONLY ENCOURAGES politicians to pander to the many



  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Why does it seem "obvious that OBama knows the republican house will never OK the tax increases "?
    Because the republicans have already rejected them and told him they won't do it. He also knows that many of the new members ran on a pledge not to increase the taxes. If they voted to increase the taxes, every democrat would run with the flip flop argument.
    Last edited by buck; 09-12-11 at 09:51 PM.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What else is new, other than the amount Obama now says is the evil "rich" just went down to $200K from $250K....Funny how that keeps creeping down...

    j-mac
    Did he use the word evil? Or is it your contention that we should only end breaks if someone is evil? Maybe we should only tax evil people? Who should define evil?

    J, can't we say someone or some company doesn't need a break and not classify anyone as evil?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,800
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs PlanLess personal and more on topic, or else.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Seems obvious that OBama knows the republican house will never OK the tax increases. He's not even serious about the jobs bill. just interested in playing politics... you know... as usual.
    And the house? As you say they won't aprove a jobs bill, is that because they aren't serious? Playing politics? How can we tell? Or is it just that whoever is on the other team has to be playing politics and our team is righeous no matter what they do?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No. I am a full conservative, and as it is what it is, there is no way that a second stimulus that proposes to be doled out in almost mirror fashion as the first one that didn't work, to unions, and constituents for votes will.



    j-mac
    The auto industry contributes 3.6%, or $500 billion of total GDP output.

    i realize that ford didn't take a bailout but discounting ford that's a pretty serious % of gdp that would be setting on the sidelines as we speak.

    gm and Chrysler got a,i believe it was $24.9 billion bailout.The last i heard was that Chrysler has paid back $7.5 billion, and gm claims its paid back the loan amount,of course we still have stock in gm.When you consider the suppliers to the auto industry,that imo, represents money well spent.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  10. #50
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Because the republicans have already rejected them and told him they won't do it. He also knows that many of the new members ran on a pledge not to increase the taxes. If they voted to increase the taxes, every democrat would run with the flip flop argument.
    Could be politics.Kinda like the hostage situation earlier on this year eh?Lotta house seats in play and congress with historic lows might get a few fence setters,and put some tea party radicals in play.

    Mix that up with trying to put our seniors on an iceberg with a coupon for their healthcare...yep, politics could come into play.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •