Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 396

Thread: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

  1. #271
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Washington Post-ABC News Poll (washingtonpost.com)


    This is supposed to be the exact wording of the poll. Not anything like what you've suggested. I believe that you are very mistaken on what happens during polling.
    I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not playing dumb on purpose. The wording the poll doesn't say anything about to whom these questions were asked. Let's just assume this is an average cross section of people. Given that the people who we are talking about being taxed are a very small minority in this country (Remember, these are the 2% or some ridiculously small number whom everyone claims has all the wealth) then the vast majority of the people being asked the question are not the one's being taxed.

  2. #272
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not playing dumb on purpose. The wording the poll doesn't say anything about to whom these questions were asked. Let's just assume this is an average cross section of people. Given that the people who we are talking about being taxed are a very small minority in this country (Remember, these are the 2% or some ridiculously small number whom everyone claims has all the wealth) then the vast majority of the people being asked the question are not the one's being taxed.
    The nation as a whole should not suffer because 2% of the population does not want to pay 5% more in taxes. This should be common sense.

    Tax revenue as a % of GDP needs to increase: fact or fiction?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    The nation as a whole should not suffer because 2% of the population does not want to pay 5% more in taxes. This should be common sense.
    The nation's so-called suffering is not a result of this 5% of 2%.

    Tax revenue as a % of GDP needs to increase: fact or fiction?
    Fact, and there also needs to be an energy source that replaces oil, and there needs to be stable currencies and indefinite economic growth and world peace.

    Saying this needs to be doesn't mean there's a way to achieve it.

    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 09-14-11 at 02:36 PM.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So the US President is eliminating oil subsidies while simultaneously doing whatever he can to make sure that the American people have less access to the energy they need to keep the country running, and more jobs will be lost and costs eventually passed on to the consumer.

    Barrack Obama is either seriously stupid or intent on destroying the US economy. There is absolutely nothing in his policies any rational person can defend.

    TransCanada in eye of the storm | Energy | Financial Post
    So, we should not ask of corporations what we ask of others as they need special help, they need our money, our tax support, and cannot be seen as capable of carrying their fair load. And we should never be cncerned about anything that might be harmful?

    I think you reach the wrong conclusions. From your link:

    Whatever the outcome, industry is learning from the delays, the anger, the-zero tolerance for accidents, he says. Its learning that the public has the right to be assured that infrastructure is safe and responsibly built and that projects will be battlegrounds for broader issues.

    The legitimate issues are public safety, reliability, environmental protection, Mr. Girling said. And so we had to up our game to improve on all of those fronts. Certainly the incidents that have occurred over the last year would suggest that there is room for improvement, and as an industry we are working to improve on all those fronts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #275
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    The nation as a whole should not suffer because 2% of the population does not want to pay 5% more in taxes. This should be common sense.

    Tax revenue as a % of GDP needs to increase: fact or fiction?
    I don't disagree that some tax increases are in order.

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Correct, if it is that harmful make it illegal.
    wouldnt this be government restricting individual freedom? something your against, right?

  7. #277
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,643

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    The nation as a whole should not suffer because 2% of the population does not want to pay 5% more in taxes. This should be common sense.

    Tax revenue as a % of GDP needs to increase: fact or fiction?
    Its so easy to justify someone else getting tax increases



  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, we should not ask of corporations what we ask of others as they need special help, they need our money, our tax support, and cannot be seen as capable of carrying their fair load. And we should never be cncerned about anything that might be harmful?

    I think you reach the wrong conclusions. From your link:

    Whatever the outcome, industry is learning from the delays, the anger, the-zero tolerance for accidents, he says. It’s learning that the public has the right to be assured that infrastructure is safe and responsibly built and that projects will be battlegrounds for broader issues.

    “The legitimate issues are public safety, reliability, environmental protection,” Mr. Girling said. “And so we had to up our game to improve on all of those fronts. Certainly the incidents that have occurred over the last year would suggest that there is room for improvement, and as an industry we are working to improve on all those fronts.”
    My sense is that the honest answer is that many support comprehensive corporate tax reform. Get rid of a bunch of deductions and then lower rates to make the US more competitive. The reason everyone says that they want this but it never happens is that what is a giveaway to certain people is essential to another group.

    Do we need to allow corporations to deduct the cost of tickets to sporting events so that millionaire ballplayers and billionaire owners can charge hundreds of dollars to a ballgame. Should we give R&D tax credits to companies that then send the manufacturing to China. The reason the tax code is thousands of pages is because of all of the special deals that have been allowed into law over many years.

    Clean up the whole thing, raise revenues, enhance growth. Stop with the scapgoating.

  9. #279
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    I don't disagree that some tax increases are in order.
    Nor do i disagree that many tax cuts are in order; timing is the essence of everything.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #280
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Seeks to End Tax Breaks to Pay for Jobs Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    My sense is that the honest answer is that many support comprehensive corporate tax reform. Get rid of a bunch of deductions and then lower rates to make the US more competitive. The reason everyone says that they want this but it never happens is that what is a giveaway to certain people is essential to another group.

    Do we need to allow corporations to deduct the cost of tickets to sporting events so that millionaire ballplayers and billionaire owners can charge hundreds of dollars to a ballgame. Should we give R&D tax credits to companies that then send the manufacturing to China. The reason the tax code is thousands of pages is because of all of the special deals that have been allowed into law over many years.

    Clean up the whole thing, raise revenues, enhance growth. Stop with the scapgoating.
    I'm not entirely in disagreement with you. I don't think taxes play that large a role in growth, and that even if there were no taxes at all, business would still be leaving, largely because we can't compete with low wages and lack of health compensation and benefits. But that's another issue.

    However, I think step one would be to clean it up. Remove the breaks and loopholes, and then reassess. I would support that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •