Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 131

Thread: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Well, if there's a squeak in your brake pads, you take it to the mechanic.

    It's called "preventative maintenance". I'd say this looks like a good place to start.

  2. #82
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, if there's a squeak in your brake pads, you take it to the mechanic.

    It's called "preventative maintenance". I'd say this looks like a good place to start.
    What do you suggest we do with Terry Jones and his followers?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That is a conflation that liberals promoted to bash Bush with at the time. Iraq didn't have anything to do with the events of 9/11, however he was involved in supporting terrorist in that region, and that coupled with his constant refusal to comply with UN edicts, finally led to his bluff being called, and the people are better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    An honest reading of history would probably serve you well friend.
    I never was blaming Bush and the GOP specifically for invading Iraq. Why are you making this into some sort of partisan argument? Both Dems and Repubs are responsible.

    I stand by my opinion, as I did at the start of the war, that we invaded Iraq with some very weak reasons that were based mostly on speculation, and that full country occupation was not justified.

    My other opinion is that we should have hammered Afghanistan from the start.


    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And maybe if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hoped. Hindsight armchair quaterbacking is one of the things that increased the divide we see today in politics.
    J-mac, so you’re saying this is all hindsight? Think again. I have opposed this war in Iraq from day 1 in 2002. And I'm not the only one (because apparently you had to be some sort of magical future predicting genius in 2002 to oppose the Iraq war and realize it was a BAD IDEA).

    High ranking members of our own military opposed this war as well, often very loudly and bluntly too, citing many of the same reasons I did above – weak connection, will be costly, not worth it – in 2002. Not 2011, but in 2002, from the very beginning.

    But who cares about the Military thinks? What would they know anyways?



    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What a dichotomy you offer here, on the one hand you say that a larger response to Afghanistan would have been better, and on the other you question why we have to have large endeavors....Which is it?
    Obviously I’m referencing the fact that we created two full blown wars when we should have just put all of our force into a single target that actually made sense to attack, perhaps which may have resulted in a shorter occupation and cheaper war.

    Two full blown wars > cost than one full blown war.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you seriously trying to come in here with a "conservative" lean, and spout dem talking points from 2003?
    J-Mac – So let me get this straight; if someone says that we invaded Iraq with weak reasons, that there were weak connections between Al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, and that the war in that country was unjustifiable, they cannot possibly be conservative in their political lean?

    Please explain how this makes any rational sense at all. I'm all ears.
    Last edited by David D.; 09-14-11 at 04:10 PM.

  4. #84
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Being a conservative your 9/11 is markedly obtuse and 2 dimensional. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    still waiting for your explanation.
    Sorry, been busy with something really important; my fantasy football team. Anyway, what I meant is, I can remember and commemorate the anniversary of 9-11 without being conflicted as to whether we had it coming or not. Personally, I'd never post something on 9-11 that would diminish the significance of what happened to the US that day by trying to focus attention and sympathy elsewhere. I'm sorry, but I believe we have the right to be angry about what happened and I think it's unnecessary hyperbole to compare a written expression of anger to actual acts of terrorism.

    Edit: oh, I included SE's comment because I'm sure my explanation falls exactly into his description of obtuse and 2 dimensional and I couldn't be more delighted that I can condemn what happened without reservation.
    Last edited by X Factor; 09-14-11 at 10:54 PM.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,871

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Sorry, been busy with something really important; my fantasy football team. Anyway, what I meant is, I can remember and commemorate the anniversary of 9-11 without being conflicted as to whether we had it coming or not. Personally, I'd never post something on 9-11 that would diminish the significance of what happened to the US that day by trying to focus attention and sympathy elsewhere. I'm sorry, but I believe we have the right to be angry about what happened and I think it's unnecessary hyperbole to compare a written expression of anger to actual acts of terrorism.
    it was an act of Terrorism against innocent civillians. nobody "had it coming". you bounced into the thread and quoted me after i challenged Enolas comment where she stated that she agreed with Councilman and his theory of perhaps we should've nuked an entire population of people. that is disgusting and commenting on that is not trying to take focus off what happened to those innocent people on 9/11. unless of course you are suggesting that bigoted comments like that should remian unchallenged? it is pointing out that acting like a ****ing savagage and wanting to nuke a whole country because of 9/11 and kill a bunch of innocent civillians makes the Enolas and Councilmans of the world no different than those bastard extremists who were behind 9/11. advocating the murder of any innocent civillians is revolting. surely that's not difficult even for you to understand.

    if you care to focus on other posts in this thread rather than just mine then you will see that there are plenty of people who agree with me.

    of course people have a right to be angry about what happened. only an idiot would think otherwise. xfactor, you jumped into this thread trying to be a smart ass and deep down your insinuations were aimed at the fact that i'm not an American so 9/11 couldn't possibly mean the same to me as it would you.

    once again you are incorrect. surely you are not that ignorant that you think 9/11 has only affected Americans?
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  6. #86
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    it was an act of Terrorism against innocent civillians. nobody "had it coming". you bounced into the thread and quoted me after i challenged Enolas comment where she stated that she agreed with Councilman and his theory of perhaps we should've nuked an entire population of people. that is disgusting and commenting on that is not trying to take focus off what happened to those innocent people on 9/11. unless of course you are suggesting that bigoted comments like that should remian unchallenged? it is pointing out that acting like a ****ing savagage and wanting to nuke a whole country because of 9/11 and kill a bunch of innocent civillians makes the Enolas and Councilmans of the world no different than those bastard extremists who were behind 9/11. advocating the murder of any innocent civillians is revolting. surely that's not difficult even for you to understand.
    Whether or not you were trying to divert focus away from what occurred in the US on 9-11 does not alter that you seemed to suggest we should feel worse about what happens elsewhere to people who "live 9-11 every single ****ing day" (or something along those lines). It's just alway interesting to me when you demonstrate just who earns your hysterical outrage. What I do know is that there is a difference between murder and war and that 9-11 was an act of war, as well as an act of terrorism. Obviously you do not understand there's a difference between "the Enolas and Councilmans of the world" and the people who plan and/or carry out actual acts of terrorism. I tell you, I am far more concerned about the latter. Your condemnation of comments here sure seem unbalanced as compared to actually condemning what occurred on 9-11.

    if you care to focus on other posts in this thread rather than just mine then you will see that there are plenty of people who agree with me.
    Which goes to exactly what I said. We are not unified enough for you to be speaking in terms of "our 9-11". Each of us sees what happened according our perspective and your perspective is, clearly, far different than mine.

    Of course people have a right to be angry about what happened. only an idiot would think otherwise.
    Well....

    Yeah. So long as the expressions of anger are no more than what you deem to be acceptable.

    xfactor, you jumped into this thread trying to be a smart ass and deep down your insinuations were aimed at the fact that i'm not an American so 9/11 couldn't possibly mean the same to me as it would you.
    Actually, I wasn't thinking that, but now that you mention it, would it be wrong to say that those of us in the US are more impacted by what happened on 9-11 than those who aren't? Just as those in New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania were impacted more that those of us living in other states.

    once again you are incorrect. surely you are not that ignorant that you think 9/11 has only affected Americans?
    I'm definitely not ignorant enough to accept your false dichotomy. It's not all or nothing. If I say it affected Americans more, I'm NOT saying others were not also significantly affected. I remember many expressions of sympathy and support for the US from nations all around the world and I appreciated them (and still do). Even more so I deeply appreciate those of our allies who actually stood and even fought along side us in the conflicts in Iran and Afghanistan.
    Last edited by X Factor; 09-15-11 at 12:13 AM.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,871

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Whether or not you were trying to divert focus away from what occurred in the US on 9-11 does not alter that you seemed to suggest we should feel worse about what happens elsewhere to people who "live 9-11 every single ****ing day" (or something along those lines). It's just alway interesting to me when you demonstrate just who earns your hysterical outrage. What I do know is that there is a difference between murder and war and that 9-11 was an act of war, as well as an act of terrorism. Obviously you do not understand there's a difference between "the Enolas and Councilmans of the world" and the people who plan and/or carry out actual acts of terrorism. I tell you, I am far more concerned about the latter. Your condemnation of comments here sure seem unbalanced as compared to actually condemning what occurred on 9-11. .
    boomark it and remember it, i'm sick of repeating it.

    anyone that advocates the slaughter and targeting of innocent victims is a psychopath. advocating to nuke an entire population of people because of the actions of the 9/11 Terrorists is repulsive.
    got it? good.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Which goes to exactly what I said. We are not unified enough for you to be speaking in terms of "our 9-11". Each of us sees what happened according our perspective and your perspective is, clearly, far different than mine. .
    my perspective is that innocent people were targeted by Terrorists on 9/11. it was a horrifying event. the loss of their lives is significant.

    if you feel differently that's up to you.



    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well....


    Actually, I wasn't thinking that, but now that you mention it, would it be wrong to say that those of us in the US are more impacted by what happened on 9-11 than those who aren't?
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm definitely not ignorant enough to accept your false dichotomy. It's not all or nothing. If I say it affected Americans more, I'm NOT saying others were not also significantly affected. I remember many expressions of sympathy and support for the US from nations all around the world and I appreciated them (and still do). Even more so I deeply appreciate those of our allies who actually stood and even fought along side us in the conflicts in Iran and Afghanistan.
    then perhaps you should shut your stupid ignorant mouth and quit "selectively" quoting people who have said exactly what many others in the thread have said that you have chosen to ignore when you have no clue how the events of 9/11 have affected them then.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  8. #88
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    boomark it and remember it, i'm sick of repeating it.

    anyone that advocates the slaughter and targeting of innocent victims is a psychopath. advocating to nuke an entire population of people because of the actions of the 9/11 Terrorists is repulsive.
    got it? good.
    Awesome, people who target innocent victims are actually just mentally ill. I think the correct term is sociopath. I never buy that terrorists are just "crazy" because insanity is considered an actual defense. I think terrorists are actually just bad people.


    my perspective is that innocent people were targeted by Terrorists on 9/11. it was a horrifying event. the loss of their lives is significant.

    if you feel differently that's up to you.
    Well, it's your perspectives on "horrifying" and "significant" that would probably be where we differ. I won't say the actions of the 9-11 terrorists are no worse than people posting something on an Internet forum.

    then perhaps you should shut your stupid ignorant mouth and quit "selectively" quoting people who have said exactly what many others in the thread have said that you have chosen to ignore when you have no clue how the events of 9/11 have affected them then.
    What are you talking about? Your comment that I replied to was, like, one of the very first in this thread and, therefore, the first one to express something I wanted to reply to, so I did.
    Last edited by X Factor; 09-15-11 at 12:54 AM.

  9. #89
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,871

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    This perspective appears recently manufactured.
    seriously. **** you.

    i lost someone in the 2002 Bali bombings (which you have probably never heard about because it was 88 Australians not Americans) that were killed and your ignorant ass wouldn't count them as anything worthy because they were not born with a red white and blue stripe on their ass.

    their deaths were a direct result of my Countries support of the U.S. war on terror and the support we continue to offer as a result of 9/11. they were targeted purely because of that support and because they were Australians. that happened in 2002 so the perspective is clearly not recently manufactured. you're just a troll. this thread is evident of that.

    you think because someone is critical of American foreign policy in some areas that autmoatically gives you the right to call them unamerican and haters. you are so full of ****. it's called having a ****ing brain and using it and thinking for yourself. every day i see plenty of posts here from Americans being critical of their Country. the way some of you speak about your President is disgraceful. all the birth certificate crap and obama is a muslim crap etc, just disgusting. perhaps they are the haters or is it only Americans who are allowed to be critical of their government and support the victims of 9/11?



    you are disgusting. nothing but a slimy pathetic troll.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  10. #90
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: 100 protesters burn American flag outside U.S. embassy in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    seriously. **** you.
    If you really meant this, you would have circumvented the word censor.

    i lost someone in the 2002 Bali bombings (which you have probably never heard about because it was 88 Australians not Americans) that were killed and your ignorant ass wouldn't count them as anything worthy because they were not born with a red white and blue stripe on their ass.

    their deaths were a direct result of my Countries support of the U.S. war on terror and the support we continue to offer as a result of 9/11. they were targeted purely because of that support and because they were Australians. that happened in 2002 so the perspective is clearly not recently manufactured. you're just a troll. this thread is evident of that.
    Australia is, indeed, an awesome ally to the US, sincerely, one of our best, but I'm confused, who or what are you faulting for the bombing?

    you think because someone is critical of American foreign policy in some areas that autmoatically gives you the right to call them unamerican and haters. you are so full of ****. it's called having a ****ing brain and using it and thinking for yourself. every day i see plenty of posts here from Americans being critical of their Country. the way some of you speak about your President is disgraceful. all the birth certificate crap and obama is a muslim crap etc, just disgusting. perhaps they are the haters or is it only Americans who are allowed to be critical of their government and support the victims of 9/11?
    Are you talking to somebody else here? I haven't done any of this.



    you are disgusting. nothing but a slimy pathetic troll.
    Last edited by X Factor; 09-15-11 at 01:13 AM.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •