Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 151

Thread: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    If Ron Paul wins, then they will start digging up on his history. First they can tell how contradicting he is. He only supports legislation that would benefit his own district.

    However, I don't think he will put into very good light when he is going to explain why we should keep the IRS from investigating private schools who may have used race as a factor in denying entrance. Why we should let people without insurance die. Why we should abolish Social Security. Why we should abolish the minimum wage.

    The reason they don't criticize Ron Paul is because he has no chance to win, and criticize him makes you lose in the polls. Obama wouldn't have that problem.
    There are things I may not agree with Paul on. However, I think he is the most honest one up there, the one with the most integrity; and when he says he believes in something and would push the government in that direction...I believe him.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #142
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-15-11 @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    14

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    -sigh- Ikari, I agree!

    It's why I'm so frustrated. haha

  3. #143
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,527

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It's California. I can't say I'm particularly surprised - no offense. I would be surprised if he was acting in any arguable way as a Republican.
    Well, at least partly.

    Gov. Jerry Brown will unveil a stark budget plan for California on Monday, proposing to slash welfare spending in half, cut nearly 20% from the state's university system and reduce healthcare coverage for the poor -- while aksing that voters approve an array of tax increases.

    Brown, a Democrat, said in a statement he is proposing a budget composed roughly of half cuts and half taxes to confront a budget shortfall that his office has estimated at $25.4 billion.
    A real Republican would have stopped at spending cuts and not asked for more taxes.

    He has a real hurdle in getting spending cuts like that past the legislature.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #144
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Wrong. RP is nowhere near as electable as Perry. As I already explained he wont be able to get the conservative base out and he will lose independents and democrats to Obama by tenfold. All this talk about being articulate and experienced virtually means nothing -- we on the right got former President Bush elected even though he could barely speak English at the time, but had the support of his party and independents.
    The issue is that Perry loses the independents and democrats completely to Obama. There are independents, like myself, who are going to vote for Obama, whom I personally think is a bad President, if Perry gets the nomination just because the thought of Perry being President is lot worse than having Obama in office. He has so much baggage and no good plan for the economy. So far, the only thing I've heard him say about fixing the economy is pretty much repeat things about SS and what other GOPers have been saying. He has no independent ideas about how to fix things. But he has a lot of ideas about changing things that are really bad from the viewpoint of many independent/moderates and especially from most democrats. Plus, he is showing himself as being very anti-science and unwilling to consider any evidence against any belief he already has.

    Paul may not inspire me to vote for him, but he certainly doesn't inspire me to vote for Obama just to try to keep him out of office.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #145
    User Rawhide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Last Seen
    09-30-11 @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    81

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The issue is that Perry loses the independents and democrats completely to Obama. There are independents, like myself, who are going to vote for Obama, whom I personally think is a bad President, if Perry gets the nomination just because the thought of Perry being President is lot worse than having Obama in office. He has so much baggage and no good plan for the economy. So far, the only thing I've heard him say about fixing the economy is pretty much repeat things about SS and what other GOPers have been saying. He has no independent ideas about how to fix things. But he has a lot of ideas about changing things that are really bad from the viewpoint of many independent/moderates and especially from most democrats. Plus, he is showing himself as being very anti-science and unwilling to consider any evidence against any belief he already has.

    Paul may not inspire me to vote for him, but he certainly doesn't inspire me to vote for Obama just to try to keep him out of office.
    What you're saying does not stand with the numerous media sources who are consistently and constantly reporting on the fact that Obama is losing independents and centrist Democrats by the masses.
    "The war is at our doorsteps, and it is fueled, figuratively and literally, by Islamic fascism, nurtured and bred in Iran."

    -Rick Santorum

  6. #146
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    What you're saying does not stand with the numerous media sources who are consistently and constantly reporting on the fact that Obama is losing independents and centrist Democrats by the masses.
    But who is he losing them to? The polls that I have seen show that Obama is losing popularity. But that fails to take into account a comparison between Obama and other people, in most cases. As more independents and democrats learn about Perry and his past, it is quite likely that more of them are going to want Obama in office, instead of him. Perry is not likely to get a lot of independents excited to vote for him. And I doubt he is going to get more than a few Democrats to vote for him. Some of his policies (instate tuition in TX to illegal aliens) could even lead to some Republicans just deciding not to vote or to vote for some other candidate.

    If he gets the nomination, things like the mandatory vaccine and Willingham execution are going to be splashed all over the media. His comments about SS and his reputation for giving various government contracts/jobs to his buddies/campaign donors are going to get more widely known. All the comments he makes about skepticism of global warming and evolution will not do well for him with many people. His proposed Amendments will come out. Heck, pretty much his whole book, Fed Up, will come to the forefront of politics and cause him major headaches when it comes to trying to get votes. There is no way he is going to get any GLBT votes, nor will he get any votes from people who staunchly support gay/trans rights. He is unlikely to get the votes of any prochoice people. He is unlikely to win the votes of any anti-capital punishment people. Even some Republicans will likely look at Perry's record and statements, and choose to either not vote or vote for a candidate outside of the two parties.

    He isn't going to get a big following outside of the GOP. Many independents who wouldn't want to vote for Obama, no matter who the GOP candidate is, are likely to either just not vote or vote for an other-party candidate. This means that the vast majority of his support will have to come from the GOP. He will need to get his base very fired up to go out and actually vote. It could happen, but I doubt it will be to the point to beat Obama.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #147
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It seems that the Gulf Coast Rail District, for whom Paul wrote the letter for, is a government controlled "company" which services the rails in that part of Texas. Not quite the "give stimulus money to a bunch of businesses" as you claim.
    No, the GCRD is just the manager of the facility which is used by a number of corporations large and small. The GCRD, which I believe is non-profit, would not profit from the grant, but the businesses that use the facilities would. This directly contradicts Pauls' ideology because he has explicitely stated that it is both wrong and bad for businesses to take money from the govt. According to Paul, when businesses take money from the govt, it puts them in danger of falling under the control of the govt

    Just Say No To Government Money

    President Obama signed an executive order last week continuing the faith-based initiatives program created by former President Bush. When the program was created, I warned that giving taxpayer money to private religious organizations would eventually lead to political control and manipulation of them. This week has provided some evidence that this was a justified concern
    Money is the Trojan horse that government uses to infiltrate and infect organizations. Funding that, on the outset, is designed to strengthen and support, will bureaucratize and regulate in the end. It is sad to see charities now having reason to focus on lobbying, regulatory compliance and paper pushing to get and retain money taken by force, rather than beefing up private, voluntary fundraising activities. Those tempted to join Washington’s ongoing bailout bonanza should instead take the famed advice of former First Lady Nancy Reagan on the acceptance of harmful and addictive substances and “Just Say No” to government money. This is the best protection from government control.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #148
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Is there such a thing as a Californian Republican?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    Ronald Reagan....
    And Orange County

    And Arnold Schwazenegger

    There are plenty of repubs in CA, but oddly enough (for CA) the repubs there aren't bat **** crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #149
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,527

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And Orange County

    And Arnold Schwazenegger

    There are plenty of repubs in CA, but oddly enough (for CA) the repubs there aren't bat **** crazy
    No, the Democrats have the bat*** crazy vote pretty much sewn up. The republicans have to rely on the sane vote.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #150
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No, the Democrats have the welfare state vote pretty much sewn up. The republicans have to rely on the warfare state vote.
    Fixed for you
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •