Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 151

Thread: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

  1. #121
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    We on the right got former President Bush elected even though he could barely speak English at the time, but had the support of his party and independents.
    And Bush left office with something like a 28% approval rating. That means almost 3 out of every 4 people disapproved of Bush by 2008. So we're going to fight Obama with Bush 2.0 because Bush got elected years ago? Bush would not get elected today, not even close. He won by shoddy terms in 2000, and mostly because he was fortunate to have a Presidential family, respectable people like Cheney and other Conservative names support him because of his father, and an amazing campaigner in the form of Karl Rove. Without these, McCain would've run over Bush.

    Perry lacks all of the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw Hide
    Wrong. RP is nowhere near as electable as Perry. As I already explained he wont be able to get the conservative base out and he will lose independents and democrats to Obama by tenfold.
    Enough talk about the base. One of McCain's biggest mistakes long-term was kissing the base, kissing the base. If the Conservative base wants to vote for Obama over Ron Paul, they can go right ahead; the fight is for independents and moderates, and RP blows Perry out of the water on that.

    The only thing Perry has is the theocratic crowd, which is a sub-group of the base. He will lose horrifically against Obama, and I highly doubt get the nomination. He is a giant charading clown

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw Hide
    All this talk about being articulate and experienced virtually means nothing --
    This is really dumb. Of course experience and being articulate means something. Maybe not in the short-term fix, but if they're inarticulate and have little applicable experience they will be trumped as time goes on.

    Perry won't make it because there is no way he can realistically beat Obama
    Last edited by Tubub; 09-14-11 at 08:44 PM.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  2. #122
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    12-21-17 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,541

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    And Bush left office with something like a 28% approval rating. That means almost 3 out of every 4 people disapproved of Bush by 2008. So we're going to fight Obama with Bush 2.0 because Bush got elected years ago? Bush would not get elected today, not even close. He won by shoddy terms in 2000, and mostly because he was fortunate to have a Presidential family, respectable people like Cheney and other Conservative names support him because of his father, and an amazing campaigner in the form of Karl Rove. Without these, McCain would've run over Bush.

    Perry lacks all of the above.



    Enough talk about the base. One of McCain's biggest mistakes long-term was kissing the base, kissing the base. If the Conservative base wants to vote for Obama over Ron Paul, they can go right ahead; the fight is for independents and moderates, and RP blows Perry out of the water on that.

    The only thing Perry has is the theocratic crowd, which is a sub-group of the base. He will lose horrifically against Obama, and I highly doubt get the nomination. He is a giant charading clown

    This is really dumb. Of course experience and being articulate means something. Maybe not in the short-term fix, but if they're inarticulate and have little applicable experience they will be trumped as time goes on.

    Perry won't make it because there is no way he can realistically beat Obama
    Perry wins the Republican primary (thats a given) would you support him in the general election?

    Why or why not, Tububby?

  3. #123
    User Rawhide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Last Seen
    09-30-11 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    81

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    And Bush left office with something like a 28% approval rating. That means almost 3 out of every 4 people disapproved of Bush by 2008. So we're going to fight Obama with Bush 2.0 because Bush got elected years ago? Bush would not get elected today, not even close. He won by shoddy terms in 2000, and mostly because he was fortunate to have a Presidential family, respectable people like Cheney and other Conservative names support him because of his father, and an amazing campaigner in the form of Karl Rove. Without these, McCain would've run over Bush.
    I'm not exactly arguing that Bush would get elected today. Unlike Bush, Perry's image has yet to be tarnished by a liberal mainstream media. Unlike Bush today, Perry could very well get the support of the millions of independents and centrist Democrats who are fleeing the Obama camp every day. It's silly to suggest that Perry has no shot this early in the election season and especially when this President continues to drop in approval ratings. And especially when you guys cant even hold onto a liberal congressional seat in New York. Hell, at this rate, Perry could very well be a shoe-in.

    Enough talk about the base. One of McCain's biggest mistakes long-term was kissing the base, kissing the base. If the Conservative base wants to vote for Obama over Ron Paul, they can go right ahead; the fight is for independents and moderates, and RP blows Perry out of the water on that.

    The only thing Perry has is the theocratic crowd, which is a sub-group of the base. He will lose horrifically against Obama, and I highly doubt get the nomination. He is a giant charading clown.
    Wrong. McCain made the mistake of not kissing the base soon enough. As you may recall, when McCain chose Palin as his running mate his poll numbers actually increased by a significant amount. It surely wasn't enough to compete with the historic and unprecedented campaign the Democrats were running but I would note that going to the base actually helped the Senator from Arizona. RP simply would not be able to muster enough grassroots support from the Republican base to beat the President. He would lose miserably.
    Last edited by Rawhide; 09-14-11 at 08:57 PM.
    "The war is at our doorsteps, and it is fueled, figuratively and literally, by Islamic fascism, nurtured and bred in Iran."

    -Rick Santorum

  4. #124
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I'm not exactly arguing that Bush would get elected today. Unlike Bush, Perry's image has yet to be tarnished by a liberal mainstream media. Unlike Bush today, Perry could very well get the support of the millions of independents and centrist Democrats who are fleeing the Obama camp every day. It's silly to suggest that Perry has no shot this early in the election season and especially when this President continues to drop in approval ratings. And especially when you guys cant even hold onto a liberal congressional seat in New York. Hell, at this rate, Perry could very well be a shoe-in.
    "You guys". I'm a Californian Republican, so stop acting like I'm anything else. I never said Obama couldn't be beaten, I said Perry wasn't the man that could do it. Why? Because he's a complete goof. I agree, it's too early in the election season to call any absolutes, whatsoever, especially ones based on polls or any of the likes.

    All I said was that he is incompetent, and unless he miraculously becomes somewhat electable he will lose based on that incompetence. No matter what you may personally think, Obama's approval ratings are not dismal and he has had many successes during his Presidency. A guy like Perry would tank in the election, even if he could somehow squeezed through the primaries

    If the Republican Party nominates Perry, 2012 will be a slaughter year


    Wrong. McCain made the mistake of not kissing the base soon enough. As you may recall, when McCain chose Palin as his running mate his poll numbers actually increased by a significant amount. It surely wasn't enough to compete with the historic and unprecedented campaign the Democrats were running but I would note that going to the base actually helped the Senator from Arizona. RP simply would not be able to muster enough grassroots support from the Republican base to beat the President. He would lose miserably.
    Palin was a mistake. She added "energy" for a while, and pushed numbers up for a couple of months(hence my phrase "short-term fix") but as time wore on it was clear she was prone to many gaffes and was very silly and inexperienced. McCain's strategy aimed at latching on to Bush supporters, which turned out to be the wrong approach since by the time the election came around Bush virtually had no supporters. McCain should've run like he did in 2000, a Maverick. IF he had taken the risk of being outspoken AGAINST certain failed Bush policies and distanced himself from Bush, there wouldn't have been the "McSame" campaign.

    The horrible Bush ratings MAY not have transferred over to the McCain camp like they inevitably did in '08
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  5. #125
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist
    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    06-16-18 @ 10:34 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    47,169

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Is there such a thing as a Californian Republican?

  6. #126
    User Rawhide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Last Seen
    09-30-11 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    81

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    "You guys". I'm a Californian Republican, so stop acting like I'm anything else. I never said Obama couldn't be beaten, I said Perry wasn't the man that could do it. Why? Because he's a complete goof. I agree, it's too early in the election season to call any absolutes, whatsoever, especially ones based on polls or any of the likes.

    All I said was that he is incompetent, and unless he miraculously becomes somewhat electable he will lose based on that incompetence. No matter what you may personally think, Obama's approval ratings are not dismal and he has had many successes during his Presidency. A guy like Perry would tank in the election, even if he could somehow squeezed through the primaries

    If the Republican Party nominates Perry, 2012 will be a slaughter year
    I don't know what else to say besides the fact that your continued notion that Perry is unelectable in a general election is completely unfounded and seems to be rooted in philosophical dislike for the man as opposed to any polling data or anything at all concrete.

    Palin was a mistake. She added "energy" for a while, and pushed numbers up for a couple of months(hence my phrase "short-term fix") but as time wore on it was clear she was prone to many gaffes and was very silly and inexperienced. McCain's strategy aimed at latching on to Bush supporters, which turned out to be the wrong approach since by the time the election came around Bush virtually had no supporters. McCain should've run like he did in 2000, a Maverick. IF he had taken the risk of being outspoken AGAINST certain failed Bush policies and distanced himself from Bush, there wouldn't have been the "McSame" campaign.

    The horrible Bush ratings MAY not have transferred over to the McCain camp like they inevitably did in '08
    Once again I disagree. McCain did everything he could to distance himself from President Bush. He did not move to the right except when he gave the nod to Governor Palin, which resulted in a huge surge in the polls. The "McSame" campaign was launched because democrat operatives, and rightly so, believed that it would be a good political move to paint McCain with the same brush as Bush despite the fact that they were two vastly different candidates.
    "The war is at our doorsteps, and it is fueled, figuratively and literally, by Islamic fascism, nurtured and bred in Iran."

    -Rick Santorum

  7. #127
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Perry wins the Republican primary (thats a given) would you support him in the general election?

    Why or why not, Tububby?
    I'd have to see the debates and everything.

    I may not vote for Perry just based on his anti-Science. The anti-evolution thing scares me
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  8. #128
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    12-21-17 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,541

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Is there such a thing as a Californian Republican?
    Hahaha thats funny as ****!

  9. #129
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Is there such a thing as a Californian Republican?
    Ronald Reagan....
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  10. #130
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,973

    Re: Perry and Paul: Texas-Sized Feud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Your logic is flawed. Sure he may have stronger support than Perry among democrats and independents but that support surely isn't as strong as Obama's, which is all that will matter in a general election. Not only is Paul a long shot in this primary, he will not be able to get the conservative base out in November and will easily lose democrats and independents to Obama. Thus he has virtually no chance in this race and should not be compared to serious candidates like Perry, Romney, etc.
    At this point, I'm ready to vote for etc.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •