Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Theres 3.5 million less manufacturing jobs today than there were in 2000...the bulk of the jobs went to china
    In down economies, employers look to streamline operations including, designing more ergonomic work cells to increase efficiency, adding more automation to the work cell to decrease labor costs, among other things.

    It's not always going to China.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Your Chinese product costs are so much less because of a lot of factors that weight the balance. Depending on the product, they may use slave labor. We don't. Even paid labor is paid far less than what our workers are paid. Communist China provides "free medical care" and "retirement" benefits that would be unacceptable to our people. What we provide costs more, but is superior. The fact is, it would be illegal to run a business in the US the way it is run in China.

    We support capitalism and a free market. In theory, I think, we thought....the more exposure slave people have to a free society, the more dissatisfied they become until eventually, they overthrow their government. Trouble is, Chinese capitalism is a whole different breed because of the socialism and kinda ****ed up that prognostication

    Meanwhile, we dump billions and billions of dollars into the Chinese economy, which they in turn use to purchase military technology from abroad and improve their own production capability.

    Yeah, global economic practices and inequities will eventually normalize. People in other countries will start making more money. Businesses that keep on operating in America will lean out and drop things like expensive benefits. There will be less of vacuum in business. However, this will literally take many years and there are going to be some tough times in between ...

    No matter how you slice it, it's a tough sell
    The chinese companies we deal with dont use slave labour but have environmental and safety standards that would get shut down in seconds in NA or Europe. We purchase agriculture chemicals from China (active molecules generally). From what a senior manager reported that the dust clouds within the factories could prevent a person from seeing across the factory to the other side. For clean up, water was sprayed to collect the dust and it was pumped outside of the factory and not collected. Meaning directly into the local water system. Things though are improving, such practices are being shutdown by the various governments in China, generally due to public complaints. A large expensive factory making a chemical for the plastics industry in Dalian was closed due to massive public protests. Dalian though is a coastal city and as such one of the wealthier areas of China. The interior is poorer and the ability for those areas to shut down such factories is far lower currently.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #33
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    I think one of the best things we could do to get this country going again is to ignore all polls. FFS, do we really need a poll fore everything? Too many are biased and the results manufactured for one side or the other. I'll bet if we gave up polls for a month everyone's disposition would improve. We could probably muster up a little optimism and work harder to make changes ourselves. Polls basically tell us "give up, all hope is lost". I hate polls!

  4. #34
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The sheer cost of funding retirement plans, most of all medical benefits, does weigh heavy on America. Simple ecomonics will dictate that the burden of these costs render companies uncompetative in the global economy. It's only going to get worse as the bulk of the baby boomers retire over the next couple of years.

    As crude as this may sound....but welcome to global free market capitalism. We all voted for it. We put free market capitalism on the agenda and US entrepreneurs are taking advantage of it.

    Can you blame them?
    Yes I can, because it's just well....it's just mean.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The Chinese govt isn't in bed with Chinese business, right?
    Can you explain what you're getting at? I don't understand your point from one sentence. Thanks.

  6. #36
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yes I can, because it's just well....it's just mean.
    Mean?

    Capitalism is about finding business opportunities and, well... capitalizing on them.

    It's basic corporate structure 101; the management of a corporation answers to that corporation's shareholders. Those shareholders are motivatd purely by profit.

    An enlightened manager must be smart enough to realize that to make money, he/she needs to take care of his/her employees, who in turn take great care of customers who, in turn, are the actual ones who make, the stockholders happy.

    The sooner one recognizes those facts, the better because continuing to have the giant *Made in America chip* on ones shoulder that the US's **** doesn't stink and that we are the greatest country on the planet... just because...We are slipping and most of this country is in a self congradulatory circle jerk about it.

    l

  7. #37
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Mean?

    Capitalism is about finding business opportunities and, well... capitalizing on them.

    It's basic corporate structure 101; the management of a corporation answers to that corporation's shareholders. Those shareholders are motivatd purely by profit.

    An enlightened manager must be smart enough to realize that to make money, he/she needs to take care of his/her employees, who in turn take great care of customers who, in turn, are the actual ones who make, the stockholders happy.

    The sooner one recognizes those facts, the better because continuing to have the giant *Made in America chip* on ones shoulder that the US's **** doesn't stink and that we are the greatest country on the planet... just because...We are slipping and most of this country is in a self congradulatory circle jerk about it.

    l

    Capitalism is not mean, it is cruel however. It cares not for who or what you are, just what you can economically produce
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  8. #38
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,691

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Agreed. Shareholders aren't worried about nationalism or using sweatshop and child labor in China

    Bottom line Its profit whoring
    Its a lot more than that. Yes...corporations are driven by profit. Yes...labor has done its share to drive the job market overseas. Yes, the government is being foolish in its involvement. Yes, the American consumer is being foolish in what we buy and what we tolerate.

    Any American citizen that buys a new ford, chev, or chrysler product that is built outside of this country ought to be kicked in the head. The 'buy American' mantra is foolish. Buy products manufactured in America. Regardless of the origins of the parent company.

  9. #39
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    We need to make the changes necessary to manufacture goods domestically again. Until we do so (or until another industry absorbs the displaced workers), there will be many working and non-working poor.
    There isn't any reason to hire massive amounts of worker to manufacture in the US because its cheaper, long term, to use equipment.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  10. #40
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,691

    Re: Working-age poor population highest since '60s

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    There isn't any reason to hire massive amounts of worker to manufacture in the US because its cheaper, long term, to use equipment.
    A smart businessman would recognize balance and the need to employ...consumers.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •