Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 119

Thread: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

  1. #91
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    As I've said throughout Iraq...

    If the cut down is relatively close to what Military Commanders on the ground are saying is needed to successfully maintain stability while we draw down then I have no problem with it. If the military commanders say we need 20k and they go with 18k to try to save some money, I'm fine with that.

    If the cut down is significantly different than what the military commanders on the ground are saying is needed then I have a significant issue with it. If they're wanting 20k and you give them half that, or 1/6th of that, then to me that's problematic. This becomes doubly so with regards to if its being done for political purposes and expediency which, going THAT far away from what the genreals on the ground are asking for would make it appear to be.

    Regardless of whether or not you agreed with Iraq in the first place, the fact of the matter we ARE there now. It doesn't change the fact we've invested a large amount of money into the country. A democratic Iraq IS a benefit to the United States in terms of strategic ability. Is it a benefit worth the money we've put into it? That's debatable. But it's not debatable that such a situation IS a benefit. I want to see us drawing down and leaving the country, but I want it done in such a way that we don't completely and utterly waste everything we've already invested in it simply to help out an individuals political goals.

    I am not going to lambast Obama on this until the final numbers comes out. Going after him for something a source says he may do is ridiculous. If he does end up making the move that looks purely and utterly political however then he'll get the scorn he deserves. If he listens to his generals and takes a measure approach then I'll approve

  2. #92
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The casual observer is an idiot to even have an opinion. If you do not have the facts, such as what Iraq wants over there, what the mission for the next year is to be, among other things, the casual observer has not nearly enough facts to have an educated opinion and can only look stupid trying to offer one.
    Glad to see the rules have changed to where we can call one stupid for his opinion

  3. #93
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    What will happen in the immediate future, i.e. the first year, if we pull out of Iraq?

    What will be the situation in Iraq, Iran, etc. in 5 years?

    What will our security situation be in 10 years?

    If we don't leave Iraq under favorable conditions, our future problems become worse, not better.

    The Iranians are sworn ****ing enemies of this country for the last 30+ years. They are currently developing nuclear weapons. They are *daily* supplying weapons and expertise to people in Iraq who are using it directly to kill our brothers in arms. Although no declaration has been made on our part, it was made long ago by them, and we are effectively at war with them.

    If, the US cannot secure Iraq on its own it would be even worse in that scenario. I could see this turning into a wider regional conflict between. Which would just be the usual Sunni/Shia thing but with much worse consequences.

    I am sure that eventually China will pick a side, then we'll have to pick a side for control of the oil.

    Just sayin....China thinks like a chess champion and a champion doesn't win by thinking one or two moves ahead. He plans six, seven, ten moves ahead. He sacrifices pawns to gain position when necessary, but he wins the game.

  4. #94
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,049

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I am not going to lambast Obama on this until the final numbers comes out. Going after him for something a source says he may do is ridiculous. If he does end up making the move that looks purely and utterly political however then he'll get the scorn he deserves. If he listens to his generals and takes a measure approach then I'll approve
    I wish more people would think like this. I've found stories using completely anonymous officials to be about as accurate as a magic eight ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yep science is fake. Cells are fake, nuclear bombs are fake, hell this computer that uses computer science is fake.
    That's right.

    I, as God's emissary on Earth, keep those things running. If you don't want your big screen to go kaput, or your computer to become a paperweight, better contribute to the Dittohead Not Church of the Holy Grail now.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #96
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Okay and Obama himself voted against raising the deficit, so he "is" against it right ?? Seeing how nearly every Democrat voted against the only bill, during that deficit debate, that had a balanced budget Amendment..... there for it a "fact" to say that the majority of Democrats are against having any thing close to a balanced budget. Thank you for clearing all that up for me
    Thanks for the unrelated strawman in your attempt to defend the GOP war in Iraq.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #97
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Commanders on the ground say that 3,000 troops aren't enough to do the job. But, what do they know, right?
    Commanders on the ground aren't the ones protecting the green zone. Private contractors are.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm sure you mean the ones that have been found not to have been falsified by multiple bodies of investigators, but that dimwits still think were falsified?
    Oh, really? Tell us all about it. Self investigations, I'm sure. That's impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #99
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Moderator's Warning:
    Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000On topic guys, which ain't global warming
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #100
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Commanders on the ground aren't the ones protecting the green zone. Private contractors are.
    I can't believe you just said that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •