Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 217

Thread: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're interpretation of Obama's actions is as skewed as your reading of the Reverands comments. Frankly, Obama simply hasn't been what you guys claim. Oh, he hasn't set the world on fire, and he has been slow and has allowed Republicans to derail efforts when he should have been more foceful, but the economy 1) has been a problem for a long, long time and Obama hasn't had the power to do the damage we're seeing now, and 2) the kind of change we would need to fix this sinking ship would be change your side would never, ever support. Your side is as much a part of the problem as Obama and democrats are. Like most partisans, your side and mine have trouble looking in the mirror.
    What you fail to note is that when Obama had a veto proof senate and a large house majority Republicans could stop nothing. Obama focused on health care instead of the economy, with the exception of the stimulus bill. That 18 months when Obama and the Democrats had full control is what Obama will have to explain when he runs for a second term.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    That's the problem...........you don't have a clue how it "actually" works other than what you've read on a left wing web site.
    You are saying that it's working right here? That getting caught screwing the taxpayers over and over is something we just have to accept?

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I didn't say that. You might read back in the thread when I addressed Obama's action and this specific company. What I said was simple: If we're going to spend money on energy, it should be green energy as oil is limited at best.
    We do not need to invest in oil. We could quit putting roadblocks in the way though.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    What you fail to note is that when Obama had a veto proof senate and a large house majority Republicans could stop nothing. Obama focused on health care instead of the economy, with the exception of the stimulus bill. That 18 months when Obama and the Democrats had full control is what Obama will have to explain when he runs for a second term.
    No, I understand that. I would argue, however, that had he actually tackled healthcare reform properly, it would have helped the economy more than anything else he could have done. He could remove health care benefits from the work place. The public option would have gone a ways toward that. This would help business much more than taxes.

    And the stimulus bill was something, and in line with what little government can do. He could have made it larger, but I doubt that would have pleased his opponents. But, government is limited in what it can do to move the economy. Even more limited when it comes to jobs. Outside of hiring people, spending tax dollars to do so, government has few options.

    And yes, he will have to explain why he let republicans derail him. Why he wasn't stronger. But no president has the power to fix the economy. They have to get lucky, and this whole will be a long time coming out of no matter who we elect.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    We do not need to invest in oil. We could quit putting roadblocks in the way though.
    Depends on the roadblock. If the roadblock is to limit risky behavior and protect the environment, I'm for the road blaock. The best answer in the gulf is for it to not have happened in the first place, for example.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Depends on the roadblock. If the roadblock is to limit risky behavior and protect the environment, I'm for the road blaock. The best answer in the gulf is for it to not have happened in the first place, for example.
    From what I understand the problem was a lack of enforcement of regulations. There are from what I understand hundreds of wells. One leaked because of a lack of enforcement.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    From what I understand the problem was a lack of enforcement of regulations. There are from what I understand hundreds of wells. One leaked because of a lack of enforcement.
    Here, on our shoes. Lot's of leaks elsewhere as I understand it. But, if those regulations kept the number down, then I'm for the regulations. I don't see that as hindering.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Here, on our shoes. Lot's of leaks elsewhere as I understand it. But, if those regulations kept the number down, then I'm for the regulations. I don't see that as hindering.
    Me either. I just don't think the idea that regulators refusing to do their job is a reason to stop something.

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I understand that. I would argue, however, that had he actually tackled healthcare reform properly, it would have helped the economy more than anything else he could have done. He could remove health care benefits from the work place. The public option would have gone a ways toward that. This would help business much more than taxes.

    And the stimulus bill was something, and in line with what little government can do. He could have made it larger, but I doubt that would have pleased his opponents. But, government is limited in what it can do to move the economy. Even more limited when it comes to jobs. Outside of hiring people, spending tax dollars to do so, government has few options.

    And yes, he will have to explain why he let republicans derail him. Why he wasn't stronger. But no president has the power to fix the economy. They have to get lucky, and this whole will be a long time coming out of no matter who we elect.
    First where i agree with you. If we had a public option that would have greatly helped our economy long term.

    I do not agree that we could not do more to fix the economy. He could have( and still could) done something to fix the mortgage crisis. After all most of the underwater loans are guareenteed by Fannie and Freddie, which are essentially controlled by the government. You can't really fix unemployment when you have 12% of GDP, construction on it's butt. People will not buy houses until the mortgage overhang gets worked off for fear that prices still have further to decline. Yes there are other issues but this is an example of an area that could be fixed with real leadership. We could have put an effort into the new shale technology which would have added many jobs while reducing our trade deficit. We could have put money into truly bettering our infrastructure perhaps with a smart grid.

    Yes presidents have to get lucky. But that reminds me of a saying:

    " The better you are the luckier you get".

  10. #180
    Student Trinnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    07-17-17 @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    164

    Re: Investigators Probe White House Role in Massive Energy Loan

    Somebody at the WH. PLEASE lock Mr. Obama in a closet and keep him there.


    "First do no harm" .....he's a disaster. Another year and a half before he's out???

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •