Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 629

Thread: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

  1. #451
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Today is 2011 not 1640 or 1840 or 1940.

    Its time to pick up and move on. Nobody is going to hand success to anyone.
    In our society people are often handed success by default. That's just how it is.

  2. #452
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The "did" and "did not" thing is a surface analysis of the situation or any situation really. The problem is that when you say it's all about "doing" you ignore the answers to many important questions: What makes people do? Is it easier for some people to do than others? Do all people get the same tools to "do" from society (i.e. education, part of a dominant social group)? What are the societal expectations of those who "do" and "do not" and do they impact one's drive?

    In other words, yes, in one way, it is about "the dids and did nots". However, if you ignore that paths that bring people to "do" and "not do", you ignore 90% of the equation. The path is what you're ignoring. People don't just go from child to success or child to failure. There is a path between those two points.
    Yes, there is a path.

    Its called choice.

    One can choose to use all the resources available to them within their reach to be as successful as they can be (note: this does not mean every person gets to be rich).
    Or one can choose to give up. That is where the "did" and "did not" comes into play.

    Excusing those who "did not" because of their race isn't going to help them any.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #453
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    In our society people are often handed success by default. That's just how it is.
    So? One can be bitter about that and fail in life because of it. Or one can ignore the success of others and focus on themselves.

    Whining about the handed success of others isn't going to get you anywhere.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #454
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So? One can be bitter about that and fail in life because of it. Or one can ignore the success of others and focus on themselves.

    Whining about the handed success of others isn't going to get you anywhere.
    His comment wasn't a judgment or whining, his comment was a merely a correction of your assertion that "nobody is going to hand success to anyone".

  5. #455
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    His comment wasn't a judgment or whining, his comment was a merely a correction of your assertion that "nobody is going to hand success to anyone".
    Then wtf was the point exactly?

    Sure sounded like whining to me.

    Wahh, those kids of wealthy people got money for nothing why can't I? Wahh.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #456
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    If everyone started with the same resources, opportunity and standing in society and if everyone had the same exact experiences in the same exact order as everyone else, then you would be right. Unfortunately, that's not how it works, so you're assertion disregards a large part of the human experience.
    I was in Houston (2006) Think about what major tragedies have recently impacted Houston... Hurricane Katrina? Houston was growing by several hundred thousands and guess what I learned back then? ****loads of people out there who A) did not want to work, B) had no interest whatsoever in bettering themselves, and C) wanted a ****ing hand out, because they ****ing deserve it.

    Without the handout they were minimum wage earners. Why? Because they're lazy and stupid, and had no desire to be anything other than lazy and stupid. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that minimum wage earners are all lazy and stupid, and I do understand that there are people who - by circumstances out of their control - find themselves having to take minimum wage employment. But for those who genuinely want to do better, that will only be a temporary condition, as the cream rises towards the top and the **** stays right at the bottom.

  7. #457
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes, there is a path.

    Its called choice.
    Way to ignore my entire post.

    Why do people make certain choices? There is a path of experiences and circumstances OUTSIDE OF THEIR CONTROL that influences their decision-making process. I didn't choose to be born into a middle class family or be put into a private elementary school or to have supportive parents or to have the countless other experiences (some of which I probably don't even know impacted me) that enabled me to make positive choices as an adult. That is the path I'm talking about. When you break a person's position in life down to mere "choice" you ignore that path and end up living in an alternate reality.

  8. #458
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    I was in Houston (2006) Think about what major tragedies have recently impacted Houston... Hurricane Katrina? Houston was growing by several hundred thousands and guess what I learned back then? ****loads of people out there who A) did not want to work, B) had no interest whatsoever in bettering themselves, and C) wanted a ****ing hand out, because they ****ing deserve it.

    Without the handout they were minimum wage earners. Why? Because they're lazy and stupid, and had no desire to be anything other than lazy and stupid. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that minimum wage earners are all lazy and stupid, and I do understand that there are people who - by circumstances out of their control - find themselves having to take minimum wage employment. But for those who genuinely want to do better, that will only be a temporary condition, as the cream rises towards the top and the **** stays right at the bottom.
    Yuck...
    Creamy ****.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #459
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Then wtf was the point exactly?
    I just told you the point. You said something incorrect and he corrected you. Are you illiterate?

  10. #460
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    I was in Houston (2006) Think about what major tragedies have recently impacted Houston... Hurricane Katrina? Houston was growing by several hundred thousands and guess what I learned back then? ****loads of people out there who A) did not want to work, B) had no interest whatsoever in bettering themselves, and C) wanted a ****ing hand out, because they ****ing deserve it.

    Without the handout they were minimum wage earners. Why? Because they're lazy and stupid, and had no desire to be anything other than lazy and stupid. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that minimum wage earners are all lazy and stupid, and I do understand that there are people who - by circumstances out of their control - find themselves having to take minimum wage employment. But for those who genuinely want to do better, that will only be a temporary condition, as the cream rises towards the top and the **** stays right at the bottom.
    How does any of this erase the fact that experiences greatly influence choice?

Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •