Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 629

Thread: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

  1. #251
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I thought you might care, since your second source clearly tracks disparate performance "by the time they reach adulthood", which is heavily influenced by parenting. Heckman casts doubt on the idea that poor schools and bad neighborhoods account for the disparity, but he doesn't seem to account for family cohesiveness and parenting.
    As I noted, these are all interesting topics, but they have no bearing on the issue in this thread. Also, while we are on this topic, Heckman in not alone in noting that poor schools and bad neighborhoods are not the culprits responsible for life-outcome disparity, there's quite a bit of research on those questions.

    So, let's play with this a little bit before we abandon it - what if you're correct and the cause of the disparity can be tracked down to parenting. Now how do you propose we use that information to address the issue of unemployment disparity? Is parenting the responsibility of some employer 20+ years into the child's future?

  2. #252
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    As I noted, these are all interesting topics, but they have no bearing on the issue in this thread. Also, while we are on this topic, Heckman in not alone in noting that poor schools and bad neighborhoods are not the culprits responsible for life-outcome disparity, there's quite a bit of research on those questions.

    So, let's play with this a little bit before we abandon it - what if you're correct and the cause of the disparity can be tracked down to parenting. Now how do you propose we use that information to address the issue of unemployment disparity? Is parenting the responsibility of some employer 20+ years into the child's future?
    You still haven't supported your argument that employment/pay disparity among equally credentialed black and white candidates has anything to do with something other than race, at least to my satisfaction.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You still haven't supported your argument that employment/pay disparity among equally credentialed black and white candidates has anything to do with something other than race, at least to my satisfaction.
    He can't it's the thorn in his side, the pie in his face, a fact he will forever have to dodge and wiggle his way around in any debate to further his agenda of spitting frothing hatred at the left and its evil racist scheme of fighting racism.

  4. #254
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You still haven't supported your argument that employment/pay disparity among equally credentialed black and white candidates has anything to do with something other than race, at least to my satisfaction.
    1.) To the question of your satisfaction, I've never once seen you change your position on a topic on this board in any debates I've seen you participating in, not just the ones with me, so frankly, I'm not even caring whether any argument I make appeals to you.

    2.) I believe I have demonstrated that there are confounding factors at play which explains some of the disparity. Intelligence and education are the most obvious.

    3.) I never staked out the position that race has no effect. I fully concede that it does have an effect. My position is that it is not the only factor at work.

  5. #255
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    1.) To the question of your satisfaction, I've never once seen you change your position on a topic on this board in any debates I've seen you participating in, not just the ones with me, so frankly, I'm not even caring whether any argument I make appeals to you.

    2.) I believe I have demonstrated that there are confounding factors at play which explains some of the disparity. Intelligence and education are the most obvious.

    3.) I never staked out the position that race has no effect. I fully concede that it does have an effect. My position is that it is not the only factor at work.
    My positions are pretty well thought out, if I do say so myself. They aren't likely to change as a result of tenuous logic or shady source material.

    I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be something other than racism, and the historical effects of racism at play, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence to that effect and my personal experience suggests that racism is by far the most dominant factor.

  6. #256
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be something other than racism, and the historical effects of racism at play, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence to that effect and my personal experience suggests that racism is by far the most dominant factor.
    Do you dispute that there is education disparity between blacks and whites?
    Do you dispute that unemployment levels are inversely correlated to level of education?

    If you don't dispute these two propositions then the following conclusion reached through the transitive relation will also apply - Some part of the unemployment disparity between whites and blacks is caused by the lower level of mean education in black society.

    I don't believe that your own personal experience equips you to weigh and judge sociological factors at work in the labor market. I do believe that your ideological viewpoint can lead you to hold any conclusion which confirms your ideological bias.

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    I do believe that your ideological viewpoint can lead you to hold any conclusion which confirms your ideological bias.
    funny,iron,irony,cartoon,cute,humor-0d1a3517fc9c1917aaa4e88ee2270102_h.jpg

    Pause... redirect your statement into self reflection. Not to many are immune to this... unless they don't hold an opinion.

  8. #258
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Do you dispute that there is education disparity between blacks and whites?
    Do you dispute that unemployment levels are inversely correlated to level of education?

    If you don't dispute these two propositions then the following conclusion reached through the transitive relation will also apply - Some part of the unemployment disparity between whites and blacks is caused by the lower level of mean education in black society.

    I don't believe that your own personal experience equips you to weigh and judge sociological factors at work in the labor market. I do believe that your ideological viewpoint can lead you to hold any conclusion which confirms your ideological bias.
    I'm not talking about comparisons between candidate with different credentials. I'm talking about disparate treatment ob black and white candidates/employees with *identical* or equivalent credentials.

  9. #259
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm not talking about comparisons between candidate with different credentials.
    The topic of this thread is the black unemployment rate.

    The question is what are the causes.

    You changing the topic to avoid addressing the question is a distraction. Your topic was hashed out in another thread.

    Do you believe that this disparity is solely the result of stereotyping being applied to individuals?

    I'm talking about disparate treatment ob black and white candidates/employees with *identical* or equivalent credentials.
    Haven't I been clear that I believe that race is also a factor in determining disparate outcomes for such individuals? I thought I was clear about that. If I've been unclear perhaps I can clear up my position for you.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    My positions are pretty well thought out, if I do say so myself. They aren't likely to change as a result of tenuous logic or shady source material.

    I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be something other than racism, and the historical effects of racism at play, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence to that effect and my personal experience suggests that racism is by far the most dominant factor.
    If it is racism, and I don't agree with that for a moment, why it is racism against Blacks?

    Anyone who is racist shouldn't specialize in one particular group, they should be racist against other races as well, shouldn't they? Given that hypothesis, why isn't there more "racism" against the Japanese today, for example? Or Chinese? O)r Russians? Or Native Americans. Could it be you're just assuming there is racism involved while other factors might be at play?

    I tend to dismiss the opinions of White leftists when it comes to race because they always go for the easy answers. That goes for their economics as well, of course.

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •