Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 629

Thread: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

  1. #221
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Given the choice between a quasi-Christian society vs. one with no moral or ethical structure vs. one based on any other religion ...would you give, the nod to the quasi-Christian society?

    Why or why not?
    It's a false choice. I would give the nod to the one with the moral and ethical structure that didn't depend on a faerie tale.

  2. #222
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's a false choice. I would give the nod to the one with the moral and ethical structure that didn't depend on a faerie tale.
    AdamT - Of all the mass marketed belief systems, it is my considered opinion that Christianity is the least intrusive, the least malevolent thing out there. Certainly it's the only belief system that will allow for a discussion like the one we're having about it here...or not?

  3. #223
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    AdamT - Of all the mass marketed belief systems, it is my considered opinion that Christianity is the least intrusive, the least malevolent thing out there. Certainly it's the only belief system that will allow for a discussion like the one we're having about it here...or not?
    Can't say I'm an expert on comparative religion, but Buddhism seems pretty unobtrusive and not particularly malevolent. Relgious texts are generally ambiguous enough that you can use them to say whatever you want to say, and the Christian texts are not an exception.

  4. #224
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Can't say I'm an expert on comparative religion, but Buddhism seems pretty unobtrusive and not particularly malevolent. Relgious texts are generally ambiguous enough that you can use them to say whatever you want to say, and the Christian texts are not an exception.
    AdamT - Even of you don't believe in God, not far down your line, the people from which you received your moral compass did.

  5. #225
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    AdamT - Even of you don't believe in God, not far down your line, the people from which you received your moral compass did.
    And even farther down the road people developed a moral compass and then wrote it into religious texts.

  6. #226
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Highway View Post
    Why are we looking at unemployment in terms of race? What is the point?
    Don't bother asking. I haven't been able to get a solid answer from anyone either.

    They just keep bickering back and forth about something that isn't even on topic anymore........

    This thing has moved FAR from the original topic.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #227
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And even farther down the road people developed a moral compass and then wrote it into religious texts.
    The Constitution is a paper describing the rights, duties, organization, restrictions, etc. of the people and the government of the United States. The 1st Amendment prohibits Congress form prohibiting the free exercise of religious belief and from establishing a state religion. Religion is a PERSONAL belief, and not a STATE issue.

    But religion was an important part of many of the lives of many of the founders and I can't believe you don't think it had an influence on their actions and public morality.

  8. #228
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The Constitution is a paper describing the rights, duties, organization, restrictions, etc. of the people and the government of the United States. The 1st Amendment prohibits Congress form prohibiting the free exercise of religious belief and from establishing a state religion. Religion is a PERSONAL belief, and not a STATE issue.

    But religion was an important part of many of the lives of many of the founders and I can't believe you don't think it had an influence on their actions and public morality.
    Oh I do think people have learned lessons about morality from religion. But that doesn't make religion the necessary vehicle for those lessons.

  9. #229
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Highway View Post
    Why are we looking at unemployment in terms of race? What is the point?
    So as to prove how racist white folks are; that black folks can't make it without the help of the do-gooders; justify billions in government handouts to the black community, keeping them on the plantation; create more votes for the Libbos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #230
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Are cliches and hollow bumper sticker slogans now back in fashion?
    Ever since, "Hope and Change", became popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •