Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 629

Thread: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

  1. #161
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am defending intellectual honesty.
    I am defending basic decency.

    Something seriously lacking in your insulting remarks.
    whatever, Haymarket. you whine about corporations and the rich and defend unions and bloated government



  2. #162
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The kids from your school have won those awards because they come from wealthy, educated parents who take their parenting responsibilities seriously. The public school I went to has produced legions of Ivy graduates and national merit scholars for the same reason. In my personal experience it had very little to do with the quality of the teachers.
    you just make stuff up to fit your agenda. one of the Rhodes scholars was on a scholarship-his dad was a teacher and his mom worked in the cafeteria. but you are correct about taking parenting seriously

    now that is something the liberals ignore in their tax tax tax spend spend spend dogma.

    if you don't drop out of HS
    if you don't do drugs and if you don't spawn children before you get out of school or before you are married your chance of being poor is less than one in twenty

    NONE OF THOSE THREE THINGS ARE DEPENDENT On government spending more tax dollars



  3. #163
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "such groupings".
    Schools selecting students by whatever criteria they feel is important and parents doing the same with the schools they apply to.

  4. #164
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you just make stuff up to fit your agenda. one of the Rhodes scholars was on a scholarship-his dad was a teacher and his mom worked in the cafeteria. but you are correct about taking parenting seriously

    now that is something the liberals ignore in their tax tax tax spend spend spend dogma.

    if you don't drop out of HS
    if you don't do drugs and if you don't spawn children before you get out of school or before you are married your chance of being poor is less than one in twenty

    NONE OF THOSE THREE THINGS ARE DEPENDENT On government spending more tax dollars
    No, not making anything up. You know perfectly well that the sholarship kid is the exception and not the rule. In any case, I do think that good parenting is far more important than good classroom teaching. But if parenting is lacking then decent schooling is the best chance a kid gets. And by decent schooling I don't just mean good teaching. I think it's at least as important for kids to be in an educational environment where other kids take education seriously.

    Thus, when you siphon off the best students from the public school system you do end up creating an environment that's less conducive to learning in the other kids.

  5. #165
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Schools selecting students by whatever criteria they feel is important and parents doing the same with the schools they apply to.
    I think it's fine for private schools to do whatever they want to do. But I don't think it's appropriate for public schools.

  6. #166
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post

    Thus, when you siphon off the best students from the public school system you do end up creating an environment that's less conducive to learning in the other kids.
    Siphon off the best???

    AdamT - I have one thing to say about this and don't take it wrong. But never rely on the state to educate your kids. Fill your kids with a thirst for knowledge; buy them books, take them to the library, take them to museums, make them watch movies that are thought provoking.

    Understand the limits of public schools...

  7. #167
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, not making anything up. You know perfectly well that the sholarship kid is the exception and not the rule. In any case, I do think that good parenting is far more important than good classroom teaching. But if parenting is lacking then decent schooling is the best chance a kid gets. And by decent schooling I don't just mean good teaching. I think it's at least as important for kids to be in an educational environment where other kids take education seriously.

    Thus, when you siphon off the best students from the public school system you do end up creating an environment that's less conducive to learning in the other kids.
    If a poorly performing student is thought to benefit from being exposed to the presence of highly performing students, then is it unreasonable to presume that highly performing students are harmed by being exposed to poorly performing students?

    If this is indeed so, then do you believe that highly performing students have some sort of duty to purposely expose themselves to a less than ideal environment in order to help other students?

  8. #168
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, not making anything up. You know perfectly well that the sholarship kid is the exception and not the rule. In any case, I do think that good parenting is far more important than good classroom teaching. But if parenting is lacking then decent schooling is the best chance a kid gets. And by decent schooling I don't just mean good teaching. I think it's at least as important for kids to be in an educational environment where other kids take education seriously.

    Thus, when you siphon off the best students from the public school system you do end up creating an environment that's less conducive to learning in the other kids.
    In other words, keeping the geniuses with the dummies, is good for the dummies.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #169
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Siphon off the best???

    AdamT - I have one thing to say about this and don't take it wrong. But never rely on the state to educate your kids. Fill your kids with a thirst for knowledge; buy them books, take them to the library, take them to museums, make them watch movies that are thought provoking.

    Understand the limits of public schools...
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I said above. Unfortunately a lot of kids don't have the benefit of good parents.

  10. #170
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    In other words, keeping the geniuses with the dummies, is good for the dummies.
    No, not dummies. But kids whose parents don't give a crap about them, or maybe do but lack parenting skills. In contast I don't think it hurts the kids who do have good parents.

Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •