Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 531

Thread: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

  1. #61
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, actually, it's not. That's entirely within the prosecutor's discretion.
    Actually, it's not...but hey...whatever.



    The Organized Crime Control Act of 1970 (a portion of which created RICO), signed into law by President Nixon. RICO was expanded 4 times by President Reagan.

    You can shut up about "Libbos" now.
    Awwww, those poor mobsters; treated so unfairly. Is that the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #62
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, it's not...but hey...whatever.
    By all means, cite the law in question.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Awwww, those poor mobsters; treated so unfairly. Is that the best you can do?
    Way to move the goal posts when you were proven dead wrong.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #63
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Only if you think it makes sense to go in with an heavily armed unit.
    My understanding is that the cops take securing an area in which a search warrant is to be executed very seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Seems to me that a couple of agents could have walked in and said, "um...we have a little matter we need to discuss with you".
    They tend to throw a lot of bodies at serving warrants, because to do otherwise is to risk being caught short-handed if the target opts to try to destroy some of the evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I highly doubt that there were large weapons caches in Gibson guitar factory, waiting to be broken out in the event of a raid by game wardens.
    Yeah, me too. I'm sure the idea was to discourage resistance, not to anticipate it.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #64
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The "why" of overcriminalization is three-fold -- because we let them, because we reward them for going off the deep end, because sometimes we punish them for not going off the deep end.

    If someone has credible evidence of a conspiracy more complicated than that to present I'll be happy to look at it, but I've seen nothing to suggest that this is nothing more than a continuation of the trend began before Obama was ever elected to anything.
    I'm also waiting to see some evidence that this is anything out of the ordinary, but that has had no effect on the "big govt" fear mongerers. In another thread that I started, I reported about how Steven Seagal was involved in a raid on a suspected cock fighter overseen by Sheriff Arpaio. During the attempt to stop this animal abuse, Seagal ran over dozens of chickens WITH A TANK. The cops (actually a SWAT team) also shot a dog.

    While there has been quite a bit of critical humor in the thread, you'll see none of the fear mongering that you see going on in this thread. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that the Gibson case involves Obamas' DOJ, while the Seagal lunacy involves a well-known rightwing sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebonySeveral threads merged into one. Let's please look for other threads on a topic before starting a new one, 6 on this topic is excessive.
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly. One thread is excessive.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #66
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm also waiting to see some evidence that this is anything out of the ordinary, but that has had no effect on the "big govt" fear mongerers. In another thread that I started, I reported about how Steven Seagal was involved in a raid on a suspected cock fighter overseen by Sheriff Arpaio. During the attempt to stop this animal abuse, Seagal ran over dozens of chickens WITH A TANK. The cops (actually a SWAT team) also shot a dog.

    While there has been quite a bit of critical humor in the thread, you'll see none of the fear mongering that you see going on in this thread. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that the Gibson case involves Obamas' DOJ, while the Seagal lunacy involves a well-known rightwing sheriff
    I think it's probably got a lot more to do with the fact that the general reaction is approximately, "Wait, this can't be real. Are we talking about a Seagal action-comedy movie? Why on earth would the police let an ACTOR drive a TANK?!"

    In other words, I'm pretty sure people were too bewildered to have any other reaction than "WTF?"
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #67
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I think it's probably got a lot more to do with the fact that the general reaction is approximately, "Wait, this can't be real. Are we talking about a Seagal action-comedy movie? Why on earth would the police let an ACTOR drive a TANK?!"

    In other words, I'm pretty sure people were too bewildered to have any other reaction than "WTF?"
    That's certainly a possibility.

    BTW, he has a reality show where he's some kind of police officer now. Not sure if it's official or not, but I've seen the commercials. He's really fat now. Like a Pilsbury dough boy on steroids
    Last edited by sangha; 09-03-11 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #68
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    I just read the thread. It's pretty much the only possibility.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #69
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

    Gibson is a long standing manufacturer of reputable guitars known through out the world..a manufacturer not a garage business, the reaction to this warrant was way over played. A reprimand is in order for the dork that ordered a armed invasion upon a legitimate business.

  10. #70
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    While it seems ridiculous - it is a bit of an important thing to ensure that rare and unique woods and other materials are properly harvested and purchased to advert serious black-market issues and depletion of natural growths.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •