Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 531

Thread: US agents raid Gibson Guitar over ebony

  1. #131
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Give us some examples of which Libbo politician that ran on a platform of less government regulation. I await with bated breath.
    There you go, doing exactly what you try to do when you're having difficulty making your point -- you're trying to change the subject.

    Both parties
    have ceded vast swaths of power to the executive branch, both parties have had a hand in mandatory minimums and ever-expanding draconian penalties in general, and both parties have screwed with sentencing guidelines so as to push as many sentences as possible towards the maximum end of the recommended range on a variety of offenses. Neither party has made a point of trying to reign in ambitious prosecutors, eliminate laws and practices that all but force defendants to plead guilty rather than fight the charges against them or better equip public defenders to so fight.

    Both parties bear responsibility for the condition of our justice system.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You wouldn't be saying that if a Republican were president.
    Yes, I absolutely would. All of my reading on the subject of overcriminalization has pointed squarely away from political parties, and directly towards ambitious prosecutors, weak-willed legislators trying to satisfy an ignorant electorate by addressing the issue of criminal justice with hysterical fervor, and permissive judges.

    Even though some of the stuff I've read comes from the Heritage Foundation, even they don't make it about politics.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 09-04-11 at 10:36 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #132
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    There you go, doing exactly what you try to do when you're having difficulty making your point -- you're trying to change the subject.

    Both parties
    have ceded vast swaths of power to the executive branch, both parties have had a hand in mandatory minimums and ever-expanding draconian penalties in general, and both parties have screwed with sentencing guidelines so as to push as many sentences as possible towards the maximum end of the recommended range on a variety of offenses. Neither party has made a point of trying to reign in ambitious prosecutors, eliminate laws and practices that all but force defendants to plead guilty rather than fight the charges against them or better equip public defenders to so fight.

    Both parties bear responsibility for the condition of our justice system.



    Yes, I absolutely would. All of my reading on the subject of overcriminalization has pointed squarely away from political parties, and directly towards ambitious prosecutors, weak-willed legislators trying to satisfy an ignorant electorate by addressing the issue of criminal justice with hysterical fervor, and permissive judges.

    Even though some of the stuff I've read comes from the Heritage Foundation, even they don't make it about politics.
    And, there you go when the fire gets too hot for the Libbos...you blame everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #133
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, there you go when the fire gets too hot for the Libbos...you blame everybody.
    And there you go when you find yourself completely unequipped to respond to my argument -- you mischaracterize it. Even though I've stated several times that overcriminalization is an issue that crosses party lines, you try to tell me I'd blame the President if he was a Republican. When I contradict that by again asserting that the problem is bi-partisan and don't even list the Presidency on my indictment of the justice system, you accuse me of blaming everybody.

    I haven't blamed everybody.

    I'm blaming ambitious prosecutors, permissive judges, and populist legislators on both sides of the isle.

    I look forward to your next deceptive tactic, all the others have been such fun to deconstruct.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #134
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    And there you go when you find yourself completely unequipped to respond to my argument -- you mischaracterize it. Even though I've stated several times that overcriminalization is an issue that crosses party lines, you try to tell me I'd blame the President if he was a Republican. When I contradict that by again asserting that the problem is bi-partisan and don't even list the Presidency on my indictment of the justice system, you accuse me of blaming everybody.

    I haven't blamed everybody.

    I'm blaming ambitious prosecutors, permissive judges, and populist legislators on both sides of the isle.

    I look forward to your next deceptive tactic, all the others have been such fun to deconstruct.
    When you actually make an argument, I'll respond to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #135
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    I have made an argument, a rather complex one, and you continue to dismiss it because you're completely unable to respond to it. It's all you can do to pound out a quippy one-liner every time I reply to you, and they're not even funny.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #136
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I have made an argument, a rather complex one, and you continue to dismiss it because you're completely unable to respond to it. It's all you can do to pound out a quippy one-liner every time I reply to you, and they're not even funny.
    Complex confusion, perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #137
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Complex confusion, perhaps.
    That makes 3 one-line responses that neither address anything I've said nor entertain me in any way. No doubt your response to this post will be the fourth such.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #138
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That makes 3 one-line responses that neither address anything I've said nor entertain me in any way. No doubt your response to this post will be the fourth such.
    Of course it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #139
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I suggest you read up on the Lacey Act on your own if you don't believe the article. I believe you will find that they reported it correctly. Although the Lacey Act is enforced somewhat selectively, it can be used to confiscate any item with exotic wood or anther banned material in it where the owner cannot document that the materials were collected and imported legally. Have you ever watched Antique Road Show and seen the experts on it mention potential problems with the antiques brought in ??
    Where's the beef? There is only a problem with the import of endangered species, or things made from them. Show us the cases of people in this country being busted for their old guitars with ebony and rosewood?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #140
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is your guitar DOJ approved?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    The illegality you speak of has yet to be proven, or even charged. The feds just busted in - again - took some valuable material, and has yet to return it. The loss of material alone is worth a million dollars to Gibson, not counting the loss in sales of products that could be made from the confiscated material.

    Screw that. The gov needs to file charges or return the stuff.

    Sure, why wait for the facts?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •