Page 97 of 194 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #961
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That is exactly right, and very clearly stated. As I've poined out several times, no one seriously argues that tax cuts pay for themselves anymore. Laffer never said they did and the architects of both Reagan and Bush's tax cuts have said quite emphatically that they did not.
    You know there is absolutely nothing preventing you from sending in more of your money if you don't think you are paying enough in taxes. Go ahead and reward bad behavior. Maybe that is why you aren't in the top 20% of income earners because of that kind of attitude

  2. #962
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You know there is absolutely nothing preventing you from sending in more of your money if you don't think you are paying enough in taxes. Go ahead and reward bad behavior. Maybe that is why you aren't in the top 20% of income earners because of that kind of attitude
    Irrelevant to the discussion.

  3. #963
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    Explain why I care how much $ goes to the federal gov't? I'm not the one posting the exact statistics.

    Anyways, I was just sharing my view on those statistics, that's all.
    Right but your statistics assume that we would have the same number of taxpayers paying the higher taxes and there is no assurance of that happening just like there is no assurance that millions of new taxpayers would be created with the higher taxes. That is the falacy of your argument. We know what happened, you cannot predict what would have happened because human behavior changes depending on economic conditions.

  4. #964
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Irrelevant to the discussion.
    Speculation isn't relevant either because you cannot prove that human reaction would be the same with higher taxes especially after the 2001 recession and 9/11

  5. #965
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    In reality it's actually the other way around. People tend to spend money if it's doled out in small quantities, as Obama has done with the payroll tax cuts. When you hand out the money in a lump sum, as Bush did, people tend to bank it or use it to pay down debt.
    What are you going to do with the shortfall in SS and Medicare due to the payroll tax cuts?

  6. #966
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What are you going to do with the shortfall in SS and Medicare due to the payroll tax cuts?
    Pay it back when the economy is on solid footing. Medicare clearly needs to be reformed in any case.

  7. #967
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Pay it back when the economy is on solid footing. Medicare clearly needs to be reformed in any case.

    LOL, isn't that the way we created a 14.6 trillion dollar debt? Where is the assurance that politicians will pay it back as when are they going to payback the shortfall that is in SS and Medicare right now.

  8. #968
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    In reality it's actually the other way around. People tend to spend money if it's doled out in small quantities, as Obama has done with the payroll tax cuts. When you hand out the money in a lump sum, as Bush did, people tend to bank it or use it to pay down debt.
    Maybe. Like I said, we will never like have that discussion. But we could hand money directly to individuals and let them decide how to best spend it.

    I find some of that interesting. But I don't think the discussion will ever really come up with our leaders.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #969
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, isn't that the way we created a 14.6 trillion dollar debt? Where is the assurance that politicians will pay it back as when are they going to payback the shortfall that is in SS and Medicare right now.
    There are no guarantees in life. We just have to hope that the next president who has the good fortune to serve during a good economy is more responsible than the last one.

  10. #970
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    There are no guarantees in life. We just have to hope that the next president who has the good fortune to serve during a good economy is more responsible than the last one.
    I keep hearing about that outstanding Clinton economy, how much was paid back to the SS fund then? Politicians have no problem spending money but do have a problem paying back the Treasury.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •