Page 90 of 194 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast
Results 891 to 900 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #891
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Or the govt. can do nothing and let the market correct itself
    How long would this take? When asset deflation begins to take foot, it can create enormous inertia that wipes out a great deal of wealth for a generation. For example. Lets say the U.S. economy was to contract by 20% in one year. How many years would it take for the U.S. to reach its previous output number at an average growth rate of 5% per year (which is more than generous)? Better yet, how much would the US economy have to grow to reach its previous level of output?

    instead of driving up debt, driving up inflation, and thus driving up interest rates which will hurt us all. Debt service is a result of record low interest rates which inflation will certainly change.
    ROFL, an overwhelming majority of debt is fixed! Higher interest rates in the future would mean that future costs of borrowing would be more expensive, but higher interest rates would also equate to more growth.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #892
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    yes, Clinton did not take OBL. He likely shoudl have. However, during the 9/11 commission hearings, both parties agreed that taking him would not have stopped 9/11. Nor would invading any country have stopped it. The only ting required was to all the FBI and the CIA to talk to each other. That would have had a chance.
    We will never know, will we so what good does it do to relive Bush policies today?

  3. #893
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sheik and Adam aren't going to like your post since everything today is Bush's fault
    MAybe you read them wrong. But, I speak for me. Nothing is any one person's fault. Be it 9/11 or the the debt, there is a enough blame for both parties to bear. No oe gets to say it was all the other guy's fault.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #894
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    We will never know, will we so what good does it do to relive Bush policies today?
    Thinking and analysis doesn't stop just because time has passed. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #895
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    But more deficit spending is going to require printing more money or borrowing more which affects interest rates and thus debt service.
    What is the yield on the 10 year note? When was it last at such a level? We have increased our rate of borrowing (to which you would agree), but for some reason interest rates are at or near all time lows. And when i say all time, i mean the lowest levels in the history of the country.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #896
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    How long would this take? When asset deflation begins to take foot, it can create enormous inertia that wipes out a great deal of wealth for a generation. For example. Lets say the U.S. economy was to contract by 20% in one year. How many years would it take for the U.S. to reach its previous output number at an average growth rate of 5% per year (which is more than generous)? Better yet, how much would the US economy have to grow to reach its previous level of output?



    ROFL, an overwhelming majority of debt is fixed! Higher interest rates in the future would mean that future costs of borrowing would be more expensive, but higher interest rates would also equate to more growth.
    New debt is never fixed and refinancing old debt happens all the time. Higher interest rates equally higher growth is bs unless you have full employment and we don't. Higher interest rates in the 80's led to 10.8% unemployment so your argument is bogus. Right now there are over 25 million unemployed and under employed Americans, rising interest rates and taxes does nothing to put those people back to work

  7. #897
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    What is the yield on the 10 year note? When was it last at such a level? We have increased our rate of borrowing (to which you would agree), but for some reason interest rates are at or near all time lows. And when i say all time, i mean the lowest levels in the history of the country.
    Terrible because the Fed keeps pouring money into the economy. They can do that because of 25 million unemployed and under employed Americans and stagnant economic growth. Adding more debt right now is suicidal.

  8. #898
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Thinking and analysis doesn't stop just because time has passed. Sorry.
    It does when tied to a thread about August Job performance

  9. #899
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Largely speaking. Together, congress and the president have limited power to hurt or help, but it is limited. Other factors play a much larger role, which is why politicians have been unable to stop an economy from going bad. If they had that kind of power, it would never be bad so incumbants could stay in power for ever.
    Sorry Boo, but I think they have more control then you think, we they set policy concerning business it reflects in our economy.

    I'm going to try and be serious with you (I'm sure it's a waste of time) But lets take the Bush tax cuts, at the time they were implemented I agreed with them, we had just gone through the dot com bubble bursting, 9/11 effected our economy as well as other things, we needed something to jump start the economy again. I believe it did that. The only problem I have with it . .was the length of time they were allowed to continue. 3 years would have been more then enough time.

    Where (imo) Bush failed was taking into consideration the cost of the war. We have never in our history fought a war, that didn't increase our deficit, and while tax cuts have never had much more then a year of decreasing revenues (same applied to Bush's cuts) I feel that Americans then would have been more receptive to allowing those tax cuts to expire to help pay for the war, they they are now. Now because of Bush spending, and the continued Obama spending, many Americans (like myself) want to see a real spending cut before handing an out of control government, even more money to spend.

    Much like the housing bubble that is causing so much havoc now, it was our government lowering the standards of loans, then pushing banks to make them . Had those standards not been lowered would we be where we are now? Hard for anyone to say with any certainty, but chances are that it wouldn't be near as severe as it is now.

    What about NAFA? Would we have lost the jobs we have lost if it hadn't been passed ? Again it “was” passed so we have no real comparison, but I think most agree .. that our job loss wouldn't have been as great as it has been.

    I think our government can have more to say about our economy than what you are thinking or care to admit.

  10. #900
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Sorry Boo, but I think they have more control then you think, we they set policy concerning business it reflects in our economy.

    I'm going to try and be serious with you (I'm sure it's a waste of time) But lets take the Bush tax cuts, at the time they were implemented I agreed with them, we had just gone through the dot com bubble bursting, 9/11 effected our economy as well as other things, we needed something to jump start the economy again. I believe it did that. The only problem I have with it . .was the length of time they were allowed to continue. 3 years would have been more then enough time.

    Where (imo) Bush failed was taking into consideration the cost of the war. We have never in our history fought a war, that didn't increase our deficit, and while tax cuts have never had much more then a year of decreasing revenues (same applied to Bush's cuts) I feel that Americans then would have been more receptive to allowing those tax cuts to expire to help pay for the war, they they are now. Now because of Bush spending, and the continued Obama spending, many Americans (like myself) want to see a real spending cut before handing an out of control government, even more money to spend.

    Much like the housing bubble that is causing so much havoc now, it was our government lowering the standards of loans, then pushing banks to make them . Had those standards not been lowered would we be where we are now? Hard for anyone to say with any certainty, but chances are that it wouldn't be near as severe as it is now.

    What about NAFA? Would we have lost the jobs we have lost if it hadn't been passed ? Again it “was” passed so we have no real comparison, but I think most agree .. that our job loss wouldn't have been as great as it has been.

    I think our government can have more to say about our economy than what you are thinking or care to admit.
    Good post but what really bothers me is how so many people want to reward politicians that ran up the current debt and penalizing the taxpayers for what those politicians did. Not once has anyone addressed spending only revenue and that is a travisty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •