Page 89 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #881
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    If that is true then there should be no taxes, right?
    That is foolish, we need taxes to fund necessary functions of the govt. You and I differ on what is necessary

  2. #882
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Those things really worked well wouldn't you say ? just 9 months after leaving office .. we were attacked ... One can only wonder with all that Clinton did to curb terrorism, that could happen. But I'm glad to see that you see failure .. . as a reason to brag ..
    Yea, not to mention how many terrorist attacks did we, and our allies, suffer during the Clinton 8 years vs the Bush 8? That'll be a list you won't see a liberal post, but I'll be happy to post it. Let's compare:

    Clinton:
    1993
    Feb. 26, New York City: bomb exploded in basement garage of World Trade Center, killing 6 and injuring at least 1,040 others. In 1995, militant Islamist Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and 9 others were convicted of conspiracy charges, and in 1998, Ramzi Yousef, believed to have been the mastermind, was convicted of the bombing. Al-Qaeda involvement is suspected.
    1995
    April 19, Oklahoma City: car bomb exploded outside federal office building, collapsing wall and floors. 168 people were killed, including 19 children and 1 person who died in rescue effort. Over 220 buildings sustained damage. Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols later convicted in the antigovernment plot to avenge the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Tex., exactly 2 years earlier. (See Miscellaneous Disasters.)
    Nov. 13, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: car bomb exploded at U.S. military headquarters, killing 5 U.S. military servicemen.
    1996
    June 25, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia: truck bomb exploded outside Khobar Towers military complex, killing 19 American servicemen and injuring hundreds of others. 13 Saudis and a Lebanese, all alleged members of Islamic militant group Hezbollah, were indicted on charges relating to the attack in June 2001.
    1998
    Aug. 7, Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: truck bombs exploded almost simultaneously near 2 U.S. embassies, killing 224 (213 in Kenya and 11 in Tanzania) and injuring about 4,500. 4 men connected with al-Qaeda 2 of whom had received training at al-Qaeda camps inside Afghanistan, were convicted of the killings in May 2001 and later sentenced to life in prison. A federal grand jury had indicted 22 men in connection with the attacks, including Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden, who remained at large.
    2000
    Oct. 12, Aden, Yemen: U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole heavily damaged when a small boat loaded with explosives blew up alongside it. 17 sailors killed. Linked to Osama bin Laden, or members of al-Qaeda terrorist network.

    Bush
    Sept 11

    Yep, considering that attack was 8 months into Bush's term and there was zero evidence pointing to a specific attack (meaning Bush couldn't do anything about it) I'd say we fared better under Bush.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 09-07-11 at 12:53 PM.

  3. #883
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Yea, not to mention how many terrorist attacks did we, and our allies, suffer during the Clinton 8 years vs the Bush 8? That'll be a list you won't see a liberal post.
    They had terrorist attacks under Bush as well. frankly, the overall death total is much higher under Bush.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #884
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    There is no question that we're in a bind. We need significant stimulus to jump start consumer demand but we have very high debt. If we don't stimulate, the economy will be stagnant, at best, for a very long time, which can only increase the debt as a result of lower tax revenue and a continuing need for heigtened safety net assistance. If we do stimulate it will bring down unemployment and increase renvenues relative to the no stimulus plan, but it will drive up the debt faster. The solution, IMO, is to do significant short-term stimulus coupled with significant long-term debt reduction.
    Been there done that with the 800 billion dollar stimulus program of 2009 and all that did was drive up debt. It is too late to do another as the debt is too high. Let the markets work and let the taxpayers including companies keep more of what they earn. Reward taxpayers not politicians.

  5. #885
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is foolish, we need taxes to fund necessary functions of the govt. You and I differ on what is necessary
    I can disagree with that, but you do realize we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan without raising taxes, in fact we lowered them?

  6. #886
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You missed the part about not doing deficit spending when unemployment is low. This is how it works: you run a surplus or very low deficits when times are good; that allows you to run deficits when times are bad without overly stressing the economy. It ain't rocket science.
    /partisanship off
    Now you're talking about Bush obviously (i.e., low unemloyment and deficits). But guess what (and not to beat up on Clinton specifically), Clinton should have continued a sound investment in military research during his peacetime presidency. But he didn't, and then when the war came.....Bush had to do both (invest in research and fight a war). Now I'm not trying to start a debate about the merits of the war, but merely to show that Clinton could have bought the research at a cheaper price than Bush, not to mention it costs a lot more when you need it NOW. So these spending deficits get so huge when you don't maintain some consistency all the time. The same happened with Carter, he let the military rot and Reagan spent more to bring it back. So just remove the presidents' names, and look at the spending line being consistent. It's easier to prepare for war during peace time, when defense contractors have nothing else to do. Once war starts, everything goes fast track. Well the problem is that during peace time defense contractors are laying off people cause they have no work, and when the war comes they have to rebuild their workforce like RIGHT NOW. You can apply this to most things I believe. Clinton did it because the Cold War was "over", but it wasn't that over. They over-reduced like a pendulum, and then Bush had to swing it the other way. So bottomline, maintain your army and transform it gradually. If we did this I think we could eliminate most deficits.
    Last edited by American; 09-07-11 at 12:54 PM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #887
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Factually you may be somewhat right, but it's also a fact to say that is the reason that he is having trouble with his job reports now .. The money given to those states, to bail them out of their problems a year ago ... is now coming back to haunt this country. Now without the government "stimulus" those very same saved jobs, are now being lost.
    I don't know how that can haunt us, but we can clearly say we would have lost those jobs then. The people who stayed employed were able to pay bills and buy things and were not on unemployment.

    But that is what I mean by limits. The stimulus at best was a short term answer. Long term efforts have to come largely from the private sector when it comes to jobs. All the governemnt can do without hiring people is give stimulus dollars for the short erm.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #888
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They had terrorist attacks under Bush as well. frankly, the overall death total is much higher under Bush.
    If you want to continue to look back do so in a non partisan way, WTC 1 happened under Clinton, Clinton was handed Bin Laden but didn't take him, Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act, Clinton had a PDB in December 1998, Clinton shot a multi million dollar missile into a $10 tent and killed a camel.

    PDB 12/4/1998, Subject: Bin Ladin Preparing to Hijack US Aircraft and Other Attacks The 9/11 Commission Report | 7/22/04 | CIA

    The following is the text of an item from the Presidential Daily Brief received by President William J. Clinton on December 4, 1998. Redacted material is indicated in brackets.
    SUBJECT: Bin Ladin Preparing to Hijack US Aircraft and Other Attacks
    1. Reporting suggests Bin Ladin and his allies are preparing for attacks in the US, including an aircraft hijacking to obtain the release of Shaykh ‘Umar ‘Abd al-Rahman, Ramzi Yousef, and Muhammad Sadiq ‘Awda. One source quoted a senior member of the Gama’at al-Islamiyya (IG) saying that, as of late October, the IG had completed planning for an operation in the US on behalf of Bin Ladin, but that the operation was on hold. A senior Bin Ladin operative from Saudi Arabia was to visit IG counterparts in the US soon thereafter to discuss options—perhaps including an aircraft hijacking. • IG leader Islambuli in late September was planning to hijack a US airliner during the “next couple of weeks” to free ‘Abd al- Rahman and the other prisoners, according to what may be a different source.

  9. #889
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If you want to continue to look back do so in a non partisan way, WTC 1 happened under Clinton, Clinton was handed Bin Laden but didn't take him, Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act, Clinton had a PDB in December 1998, Clinton shot a multi million dollar missile into a $10 tent and killed a camel.
    yes, Clinton did not take OBL. He likely shoudl have. However, during the 9/11 commission hearings, both parties agreed that taking him would not have stopped 9/11. Nor would invading any country have stopped it. The only ting required was to all the FBI and the CIA to talk to each other. That would have had a chance.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #890
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I can disagree with that, but you do realize we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan without raising taxes, in fact we lowered them?
    So what? What does that have to do now and why do you continue to ignore revenue growth from 2003-2008? Doubt seriously that you even care about the deficits just what Bush spent money on. If you truly cared about the deficit you would hold Obama to the same standards and I have seen no evidence of that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •