Page 60 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #591
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H View Post
    Smaaaat response, from someone not following the news. Something beyond rhetoric and attacks is effective debating. Do play again.

    Enjoy Senator Sanders conspiracy page.

    The Fed Audit - Newsroom: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (Vermont)
    Would it be too much to ask for you to provide a bit more... eh... detail in regards to these $16 trillion in loans? For example, where did the money go (what parties are liable), who holds the debt (which is an asset), and has there been any defaults?

    I guess if Bank of America would borrow $100 billion per day and repay it the following day and the process is repeated 160 times, i can see how "$16 trillion in loans" could emerge in the time span of 160 days or so. However, the Fed does not have $16 trillion in assets from these loans on their books.

    Talk about misrepresenting the situation.... If you really knew what you were talking about, the term "notional amount" would have been used quite a bit!
    Last edited by Kushinator; 09-06-11 at 10:19 AM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #592
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think that just as soon as Obama and his sycophantic followers start dealing with the reality that the past 2 1/2 years have been a series of failed policies of the Obama administration, then and only then could you have a reasonable conversation as to the problems. But as long as you have the utterly laughable that failure seen today are the result of a past administration all the way out to include the entire first term as though Obama did nothing to massively balloon debt, and drive business into a hunker down situation through bypassing congressional authority in regulation, then you are not being honest at all.

    j-mac
    Yes, I know. Bush did not contribute to anything in this country. He simply didn't exist. His actions had no effect on anything at all. I understand.



    Now, as no one has argued Obama has done nothing that wasn't excellent and great, and many have admitted he has not been perfect, don't you think you're throwing up a bit of a strawman here? yes, Obama added to the debt. No one says otherwsie. And no, business hasn't been driven into a bunker by either president. You guys have simply got to undertand that government is not the answer. Business is holding back because people are not buying as much as they should, and they have been moving overseas for a long while now because labor is much cheaper overseas, and they don't have to worry about health care benefits, as most have some form of a UHC system.

    I know the only republican answer to any problem is cut taxes. And it is hard to ever get beyond that automatic response. But Obama is not as bad as you claim, though not perfect, and you might try thinking in terms of the problems we face and not the party of those in power.

    Just saying.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #593
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,261

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, I know. Bush did not contribute to anything in this country. He simply didn't exist. His actions had no effect on anything at all. I understand.



    Now, as no one has argued Obama has done nothing that wasn't excellent and great, and many have admitted he has not been perfect, don't you think you're throwing up a bit of a strawman here? yes, Obama added to the debt. No one says otherwsie. And no, business hasn't been driven into a bunker by either president. You guys have simply got to undertand that government is not the answer. Business is holding back because people are not buying as much as they should, and they have been moving overseas for a long while now because labor is much cheaper overseas, and they don't have to worry about health care benefits, as most have some form of a UHC system.

    I know the only republican answer to any problem is cut taxes. And it is hard to ever get beyond that automatic response. But Obama is not as bad as you claim, though not perfect, and you might try thinking in terms of the problems we face and not the party of those in power.

    Just saying.
    For anyone that ever ran a business or was a leader in other areas, Obama was not a surprise at all. He showed zero leadership and management skills in his resume thus has not been a surprise. He has been a total and complete disaster as President, probably great as a father but not as a leader. Nice guy but unqualified for the position he holds. Being a leader means taking charge and responsibility not placing blame and trying to delegate responsibility.

    The Republican answer is reduce the size of govt and allow people too keep more of what they earn. Liberal answer is to keep people dependent and expand the role of govt.

  4. #594
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    For anyone that ever ran a business or was a leader in other areas, Obama was not a surprise at all. He showed zero leadership and management skills in his resume thus has not been a surprise. He has been a total and complete disaster as President, probably great as a father but not as a leader. Nice guy but unqualified for the position he holds. Being a leader means taking charge and responsibility not placing blame and trying to delegate responsibility.

    The Republican answer is reduce the size of govt and allow people too keep more of what they earn. Liberal answer is to keep people dependent and expand the role of govt.
    I don't buy any of that. Republicans have been in charge, had all the power, and haven't reduced government at all. In fact, bush expanded presidential powers, often abusing that power.

    And we are discussing casues and responsibility, not Obama and Bush. We can look at it honestly. Both and others before them hold responsibility. That's simply the truth.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #595
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,261

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't buy any of that. Republicans have been in charge, had all the power, and haven't reduced government at all. In fact, bush expanded presidential powers, often abusing that power.

    And we are discussing casues and responsibility, not Obama and Bush. We can look at it honestly. Both and others before them hold responsibility. That's simply the truth.
    Whether you like it or not Republicans didn't spend 3.6 trillion dollars and although Republicans spent too much they were powerless from 2007-2011. The Obama "Hope and Change" message meant something entirely different to the majority in this country vs what Obama meant and that is obvious today. Obama is and always will be a Community Organizer, not a President.

    Now he is getting a lot of help from others who have managed or lead nothing with over the top rhetoric. Think a true leader would condone the following?

    Not long ago we heard Democrat vice-president Joe Biden liken Tea Partiers to "terrorists."

    Then later, Representative Maxine Waters, D-CA, suggested that "...the Tea Party can go to Hell!"

    Following that, Democrat Representative Frederica Wison,D-Fl,at a Town Hall meeting in Miami sponsored by the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) said, "The real enemy is the Tea Party!"

    Last week, Representative Andre Carson, D-IN at another CBC meeting in Miami said, "...that some in Congress would love to see us as second-class citizens and “some of them in Congress right now of this tea party movement would love to see you and me... hanging on a tree.”

    Now today, Labor Day 2011 in Detroit, Michigan, Teamster Union boss Jimmy Hofa had this to say when introducng the president of the united States, Barack H. Obama, as posted verbatim from realclearpolitics.com:

    Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa had some profane, combative words for Republicans while warming up the crowd for President Obama in Detroit, Michigan on Monday.

    "We got to keep an eye on the battle that we face: The war on workers. And you see it everywhere, it is the Tea Party. And you know, there is only one way to beat and win that war. The one thing about working people is we like a good fight. And you know what? They've got a war, they got a war with us and there's only going to be one winner. It's going to be the workers of Michigan, and America. We're going to win that war," Jimmy Hoffa Jr. said to a heavily union crowd.

    "President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let's take these son of bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong," Hoffa added.

  6. #596
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Right, we certainly don't expect the Congress to make the same mistakes over and over again, do we?

    By the way loved seeing "your" President making his campaign speech in Detroit yesterday for as predicted liberals love sharing their misery equally with others. Michigan with its 10.9% unemployment rate, Detroit having the highest unemployment of any major city in the country, and African American 16.7% unemployment. Yes, Obama's record has really helped the African American community.
    Is there a reason the President of ALL of the people should be focused on the African American community?

  7. #597
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,261

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Is there a reason the President of ALL of the people should be focused on the African American community?
    Ask "your" President that question and why he would condone such rhetoric while calling for unity?

  8. #598
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    09-25-11 @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    157

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Would it be too much to ask for you to provide a bit more... eh... detail in regards to these $16 trillion in loans? For example, where did the money go (what parties are liable), who holds the debt (which is an asset), and has there been any defaults?

    I guess if Bank of America would borrow $100 billion per day and repay it the following day and the process is repeated 160 times, i can see how "$16 trillion in loans" could emerge in the time span of 160 days or so. However, the Fed does not have $16 trillion in assets from these loans on their books.

    Talk about misrepresenting the situation.... If you really knew what you were talking about, the term "notional amount" would have been used quite a bit!
    As it was common knowledge and I do know where it went ... or a great portion ... its inconsequential. It was a stimulus to the banks and businesses recovery from losses. Its a search away on google ... and I've already debated the issue. Foreign and national interests were helped. That's what matters. If you like this stuff ... do a search on Q2 600 billion going to foreign banks through their American subsidiaries. So much for credit being available here in the US. Our little contribution to the PIIGS 's problems.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Patton
    New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke

  9. #599
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post

    Perhaps you should read a little more history. The poverty rate among America's elderly was scandalous before Medicare and Social Security.
    Medicare was introduced in the 1960's! How was this the result of a "scandalous poverty rate? It was a time of peace and love!

    Now it has become a non sustainable program. People are expecting the money to be there, they haven't saved as a result, and the money won't be there. Ya say ya wanna revolution?
    Last edited by Grant; 09-06-11 at 01:00 PM.

  10. #600
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    [QUOTE=Grant;1059779584]
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post

    Medicare was introduced in the 1960's! How was this the result of a "scandalous poverty rate? It was a time of peace and love!

    Now it has become a non sustainable program. People are expecting the money to be there, they haven't saved as a result, and the money won't be there. Ya say ya wanna revolution?
    You're argument suggests that people would have saved for retirement and medical care before SS and Medicare, but the facts do not bear that out. Poverty among the elederly is now 1/3 what it was before SS and Medicare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •