Page 44 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #431
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Okay here you go conservative:

    Carter Jobs
    Gain/Loss
    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec TOTAL
    1977 263 295 410 314 302 324 256 209 383 202 327 212
    1978 114 293 453 636 309 424 205 286 209 297 401 266
    1979 111 233 417 -83 359 263 1 3 128 149 57 88
    1980 110 54 42 -432 -302 -307 -240 268 193 224 251 213 9190
    Bush Jobs
    Gain/Loss
    2001 -47 -10 -69 -328 -81 -236 -173 -193 -268 -358 -343 -207
    2002 -154 -160 -65 -97 -78 10 -92 -61 -12 113 -14 -163
    2003 45 -156 -198 -34 22 -41 -2 35 155 149 41 113
    2004 158 31 300 224 310 94 42 101 151 330 28 131
    2005 94 231 146 346 142 264 275 189 81 100 304 138
    2006 313 286 262 166 4 84 151 147 85 6 190 175
    2007 190 58 200 57 111 50 17 -95 5 74 98 38
    2008 4 -128 -87 -186 -240 -217 -265 -317 -434 -491 -787 -636 141
    I was talking about the total results of the Bush Administration, not just the job creation since you only mentioned Wolffe not his jobs' chart, but I do thank the Democrat Congress for their help in 2007-2008. They were awesome in their efforts especially Frank, Dodd, Obama, and of course Geithner.

  2. #432
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. Bush launched a series of tax credits in 2001 - the tax rate cuts came in 2003.
    You will never get someone with BDS to acknowledge this fact but you will get people with BDS to always divert from the threat topic and the Obama results.

  3. #433
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why should businesses create jobs in America, or even stay in America, when they are being forced to pay more in taxes, health care, and a myriad of regulations that are strngling business owners? Americans are killing the Golden Goose.
    Sorry, but 30 years of tax cuts, deregulation and excessive greed by our financial sector did that...not to mention two unfunded wars and a prescription drug benefit, both of which went unpaid for. And then you have the issue of this country shifting from being a nation of manufacturers to a nation of consumers hooked on credit and debt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this nation has had three Republican presidents for 20 of the last 30 years. If Republicans truly believed there was a disparity between taxation and our manufacturing base that was driving businesses abroad, why didn't they do something about this sooner?

  4. #434
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Sorry, but 30 years of tax cuts, deregulation and excessive greed by our financial sector did that...not to mention two unfunded wars and a prescription drug benefit, both of which went unpaid for. And then you have the issue of this country shifting from being a nation of manufacturers to a nation of consumers hooked on credit and debt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this nation has had three Republican presidents for 20 of the last 30 years. If Republicans truly believed there was a disparity between taxation and our manufacturing base that was driving businesses abroad, why didn't they do something about this sooner?
    How about greed on the part of the politicians who want dependence and ignore personal responsibility? Why is it always greed on the part of business but never how our money is spent by the Govt? Love how liberals always want to give those politicians more money to reward their "effecient" use of the dollars they have gotten in the past.

  5. #435
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Some opinionated drivel

    1.) The potential federal government shutdown combined with S&P's downgrade of the U.S. credit rating formed an enormous wall to climb in order to maintain job creation (and the private sector continues to grow albeit at a slower than desired pace). Monetary policy continues to be up against the zero bound. For those who are interested; demand for money in a zero interest rate environment combined with a significant output gap signifies the U.S. economy is in a liquidity trap.

    2.) Government employment continues to decline at a moderate pace. More than 450,000 (@ a pace of -37,500 a month) government positions have been eliminated since August 2010. In the meantime, the private sector seems incapable of taking up the slack as only 175,000 (@ a pace of 14,333 per month) private sector jobs have been created since August 2010. Such data only strengthens the position of a liquidity trap being that gross domestic private investment persists @ 2004 levels.

    3.) Despite massive “cash" infusions from the Federal Reserve Bank to the U.S. banking system, consumer access to credit has created the type of uncertainty that generates a glut of savings at the expense of gross domestic private investment. Take a look at the data sets for consumer credit during previous recessions.








    This above is what creates business uncertainty; lack of credit to consumers creates a heap of trouble. Small businesses that operate based on a "variable-cost" business model will find little rational to expand given a credit strapped consumer. It could take years for the largest banks in this country to cleanse their balance sheets to the point where they are willing to lend to consumers in a fashion that creates business certainty; a certainty that begins with a return of investment.

    With this in mind, how does anyone propose we take on a liquidity trap?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #436
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I believe history will not treat Bush well here. Not that this is what we were discussing.

    Seems it's always BUT BUSH.
    You're right that it won't treat bush well. Like not Obama either overall. But too many forget Bush's role in things. If we accept Bush played a role, I think we can move on from there.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #437
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    To me - An August and September lag or marginal gain isn't a concern. In this country countless people are going back to college and leaving their summer jobs (school teachers and students alike) - this, comfortably, accounts for millions of job fluctuations without raising concern.

    I wouldn't fret - what would be more telling are the times where an upswing is traditional - and then that doesn't happen.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #438
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Boo, you are a legend in your own mind, duely noted. That isn't what I stated and you know it. Let's see if I can be clear, I DID NOT SUPPORT TARP!!!!!!!!! Get someone to read English for you.
    Say what you like. But it would be nice if you addressed the point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #439
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're right that it won't treat bush well. Like not Obama either overall. But too many forget Bush's role in things. If we accept Bush played a role, I think we can move on from there.
    Playing a role is a given, being instrumental in that role is another thing. We don't elect a King but many here blame Bush but somehow ignore what Obama has done so I guess Bush was a king and we eliminated that role when Obama took office.

  10. #440
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Some opinionated drivel

    1.) The potential federal government shutdown combined with S&P's downgrade of the U.S. credit rating formed an enormous wall to climb in order to maintain job creation (and the private sector continues to grow albeit at a slower than desired pace). Monetary policy continues to be up against the zero bound. For those who are interested; demand for money in a zero interest rate environment combined with a significant output gap signifies the U.S. economy is in a liquidity trap.

    2.) Government employment continues to decline at a moderate pace. More than 450,000 (@ a pace of -37,500 a month) government positions have been eliminated since August 2010. In the meantime, the private sector seems incapable of taking up the slack as only 175,000 (@ a pace of 14,333 per month) private sector jobs have been created since August 2010. Such data only strengthens the position of a liquidity trap being that gross domestic private investment persists @ 2004 levels.

    3.) Despite massive “cash" infusions from the Federal Reserve Bank to the U.S. banking system, consumer access to credit has created the type of uncertainty that generates a glut of savings at the expense of gross domestic private investment. Take a look at the data sets for consumer credit during previous recessions.








    This above is what creates business uncertainty; lack of credit to consumers creates a heap of trouble. Small businesses that operate based on a "variable-cost" business model will find little rational to expand given a credit strapped consumer. It could take years for the largest banks in this country to cleanse their balance sheets to the point where they are willing to lend to consumers in a fashion that creates business certainty; a certainty that begins with a return of investment.

    With this in mind, how does anyone propose we take on a liquidity trap?
    Not sure what you you mean by "take on a liquidity trap"?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •