Page 141 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1936

Thread: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

  1. #1401
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Hence why one must figure out their priorities.
    He laid out the priorities, and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell much difference from this speech and the first stimulus speech as far as what they plan to spend on, other than the language used ... It was about extending unemployment for the people that have lost jobs, I feel their pain however 2 years of government tit sucking is about enough don't you think? We heard how there are just gazillions of 'shovel ready' er, ahem, I'm sorry, "Infrastructure" jobs just waiting for the money to start....Then there is the wonderful $15 bucks a week token in tax cut that doesn't make one bit of difference in my overall budget, but gives him a way to say he cut taxes for me....pfft! give me a break.

    I'll put it this way. He could not figure out that the BLS data he was citing was cumulative. He thought it was all monthly changes. That the US unemployment population increased by 10 million every month. The problem is that the next column over, total US population would double every month as well. Half a dozen pages of people pointing stuff like that out couldn't get it through his head that he was wrong. It took a very public poll making a mockery of him to get him to realize he was reading his own data wrong. I'm on his ignore list for that very reason. When a user cannot even understand the data he cites, it's hard to respect him. Especially when he refuses to admit he's wrong in the face of basic chart and graph reading.
    Oh come on, be truthful, statistics can be molded, and shaped to say nearly anything anyone wants them to. I'll admit that when the numbers start flying back and forth being used as a defense, or an argument my eyes tend to glaze a bit....Right now though I don't trust a single number from anyone! The truth of the matter if you really dug deep and searched, that you were placed on his ignore list is probably more to do with at some point being a bit of a jack ass to him, rather than your claim. I only say that because that seems to be libs go to crutch when in debate, and a tactic that is well worn today, mockery and ridicule. You may think it funny, and biting, but in reality it is really boorish, rude, and just plain stupid.

    Greece has cut everything from public pensions to emergency worker payrolls. Greeks are rioting in the streets for basically good reasons. Their government is cutting to the point where public safety is becoming questionable.
    So it doesn't matter if they can't pay for it, only that people will get mad and riot like children when their desert is taken away? How about future Greek generations, I guess the current crop of dumb asses just say screw them, I want mine now!

    It's not backwards at all. When tax revenues to pay off debt increase due to increased activity rather than spending cuts, it's a sign you're back on track.
    There is also a point where your tax rate becomes burdensome, and entities look for ways to avoid paying that tax is there not? Isn't that why many companies take their money off shore?

    Corporations never quite feel they are doing better in the long run when their profits expand from bottom line cuts. They feel better when it's top line growth. You only can cut so much before you encounter structural problems. Debt reduction from top line growth is a sign you're actually on the manageable path to solvency.
    It is rather Twilight Zone of you to use a Corporation as your example when liberals end game today seems to be the destruction of such.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1402
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Should I assume you're not accepting any Social Security benefits, Conservative?
    What does that have to do with the fact that SS is a ponzi scheme and that you don't give a **** aboout the condition of the account? Why would anyone who put money into the account not expect to get their money back especially sinced they were forced to contribute?

  3. #1403
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    He laid out the priorities, and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell much difference from this speech and the first stimulus speech as far as what they plan to spend on, other than the language used ... It was about extending unemployment for the people that have lost jobs, I feel their pain however 2 years of government tit sucking is about enough don't you think? We heard how there are just gazillions of 'shovel ready' er, ahem, I'm sorry, "Infrastructure" jobs just waiting for the money to start....Then there is the wonderful $15 bucks a week token in tax cut that doesn't make one bit of difference in my overall budget, but gives him a way to say he cut taxes for me....pfft! give me a break.

    Oh come on, be truthful, statistics can be molded, and shaped to say nearly anything anyone wants them to. I'll admit that when the numbers start flying back and forth being used as a defense, or an argument my eyes tend to glaze a bit....Right now though I don't trust a single number from anyone! The truth of the matter if you really dug deep and searched, that you were placed on his ignore list is probably more to do with at some point being a bit of a jack ass to him, rather than your claim. I only say that because that seems to be libs go to crutch when in debate, and a tactic that is well worn today, mockery and ridicule. You may think it funny, and biting, but in reality it is really boorish, rude, and just plain stupid.

    So it doesn't matter if they can't pay for it, only that people will get mad and riot like children when their desert is taken away? How about future Greek generations, I guess the current crop of dumb asses just say screw them, I want mine now!

    There is also a point where your tax rate becomes burdensome, and entities look for ways to avoid paying that tax is there not? Isn't that why many companies take their money off shore?

    It is rather Twilight Zone of you to use a Corporation as your example when liberals end game today seems to be the destruction of such.

    j-mac
    Thanks, j-mac for the post and for the most part I agree with it, however in evaluating any performance results have to be quantified and the only way to do that is with data. Much of the data can indeed be manipulated which is why I always use bea.gov, bls.gov, and the U.S. Treasury Dept data. All is actual data including the information coming from the checkbook of the U.S. Can it be manipulated, or course but only if not put into context of the economic conditions at the time.

    Data is what drives liberals crazy and leads to the personal attacks levied against individuals here. I can take the personal attacks up to a point but then it gets to the point of being over the top and will lead to putting someone on ignore either officially or simply ignoring their posts on the board.

    When I post data I put it into context. I believe what OC is talking about is the Discouraged Workers data. That term, discouraged workers, came about in 1994 and was a way to eliminate workers from the unemployment count. I wonder if there is anyone here that believes discouraged workers aren't unemployed and shouldn't be counted? Now the question is the number for the month or cumulative? I still am not sure but I am not sure that it really matters. What matters is the labor force number and the total number employed which comes from the BLS. Regardless of what anyone thinks of BLS, it reports non partisan data,like it or not. That data didn't seem to be a problem when Clinton was in the WH so why is it a problem now?

    Anyway, I understand that data can cause the glazed look in some, but noticed that liberals have no problem posting data from places like the CBO even though they don't understand how CBO works. I will try to use less data but won't be communicating with those who generate personal attacks.

  4. #1404
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What does that have to do with the fact that SS is a ponzi scheme and that you don't give a **** aboout the condition of the account? Why would anyone who put money into the account not expect to get their money back especially sinced they were forced to contribute?
    Well no matter how much you claim that Social Security in a Ponzi scheme, it doesn't make it true. For you to claim that it is makes you look foolish and ignorant. Ponzi schemes are fraudulent because they entice investors by offering big rewards, but quickly run out of cash leaving future investors with nothing.

    Gov. Perry may get the nomination with his rhetoric, but it come back to bite him in the ass in the general. Romney is also on shaky ground too because he has suggested privatizing Social Security in the past. Obama is blessed.

  5. #1405
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    That depends on how you define efficient. There's no question government wastes money. But at the same time, without government expenditures, we wouldn't have a nuclear industry, a space industry, commercial airlines, dozens of major drugs and many major medical breakthroughs. I don't see how spending money on a plant to make pet rocks is more efficient use of capital then using it on medical research.
    Oh wow, you really think that private companies wouldn't have made planes, invested in space, invested in nuclear energy, or researched new medical techniques? People don't demand these things?

    Just because the debt is still there doesn't mean they haven't cut enough. No one rational expects Greece to get rid of its debt quickly. But a sign of good governance is when debt reduction starts to come primarily from increased revenues from activity rather than cuts.
    Yeah, taking more capital away from individuals is the best way to get more growth.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #1406
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    invested in nuclear energy
    Nuclear energy was discovered on the government's dime. So without the government, they wouldn't have any nuclear energy to invest in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #1407
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Well no matter how much you claim that Social Security in a Ponzi scheme, it doesn't make it true. For you to claim that it is makes you look foolish and ignorant. Ponzi schemes are fraudulent because they entice investors by offering big rewards, but quickly run out of cash leaving future investors with nothing.

    Gov. Perry may get the nomination with his rhetoric, but it come back to bite him in the ass in the general. Romney is also on shaky ground too because he has suggested privatizing Social Security in the past. Obama is blessed.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Keep saying it isn't a duck, but that doesn't make it anything other than a duck.

    In the case of SS you aren't enticed to invest, you are forced to contribute.
    Last edited by Conservative; 09-10-11 at 01:45 PM.

  8. #1408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You're going to have to clarify that.
    Obama says he is wanting to further cut the payroll tax. (Social Security). Why is he wanting to do this? To give people more money to spend. So if we simply have to raise them later to make up for the shortage we are going to create, is that not going to curb spending?

  9. #1409
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Keep saying it isn't a duck, but that doesn't make it anything other than a duck.

    In the case of SS you aren't enticed to invest, you are forced to contribute.
    Okay, so I guess I'll have chock it up to ignorance on your part. Social Security may look like a duck to YOU, but it isn't. The very fact that Social Security forces contributions makes it so unlike a Ponzi scheme, but you can keep up your delusion or ignorance if like.

  10. #1410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Oh wow, you really think that private companies wouldn't have made planes, invested in space, invested in nuclear energy, or researched new medical techniques? People don't demand these things?
    We currently have private companies doing all of those things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •