Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #731
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Where did I dismiss "the debate"? Where did I say that liberals have a "special sense of what is and isn't racist?"


    You didn't address anything that I said. You just changed the subject of the conversation, so let me repeat myself:

    Discussions about racism can and do coexist with discussions about policy. From what I know, most liberals understand this. It seems to be conservatives who think it must be one or other as they are the ones who accuse liberals of using race to divert from policy discussions when the hundreds of threads on policy w/o any mention of race are proof enough that that assertion is a myth.
    By you repeating your dismissal does nothing to refute that liberals have a stake in controlling the black community for their votes. Your assertion that the disgusting liberal tactic to smear anyone in disagreement with Obama as a racist, including a grass roots movement centered around taxation as racist is non existent is dishonest.

    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 09-05-11 at 12:19 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #732
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    By you repeating your dismissal does nothing to refute that liberals have a stake in controlling the black community for their votes. Your assertion that the disgusting liberal tactic to smear anyone in disagreement with Obama as a racist, including a grass roots movement centered around taxation as racist is non existent is dishonest.

    j-mac
    The problem is that it isn't a "liberal tactic" - that's what I'm trying to explain to you. As I have already said several times, discussions about race can and do coexist with discussions about policy issues. The hundreds of threads on this board about policy with no mention of race are ample evidence of this. The hundreds/thousands of editorials, articles and conversations in primarily liberal newspapers and television stations that don't mention race are ample evidence of this as well. There are liberals who dismiss policy differences as racist, but to say such actions are "THE liberal tactic" is dishonest and frankly, it just means that you're playing the victim.

  3. #733
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    I'm a moderal-Democrat and I don't see racism in everything Republican say or do any more than I see racism in everything Democrats say or do. I do, however, see racist actions or have heard racist or bigotted statements from individuals from within the Republican party, including the Tea Party movement, moreso than the Democrat party.

    Falling back on every racially charged issue since Obama burst onto the scene:

    - Rev. Wright's "God Damn America"
    - Shirley Sherrod's NAACP video conference
    - Rush Limbaugh's "Double-Chocolate Orea" connotation
    - All the "Obama money" posters, banners and other such images on T-shirts, etc.
    - Hanging a makeshift man in the image of the nation's 44th President from a tree

    I'm sure there are plenty of others, but these such things should never happen in a country that claims "we're all Americans".
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-05-11 at 12:37 PM.

  4. #734
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The problem is that it isn't a "liberal tactic" - that's what I'm trying to explain to you. As I have already said several times, discussions about race can and do coexist with discussions about policy issues. The hundreds of threads on this board about policy with no mention of race are ample evidence of this. The hundreds/thousands of editorials, articles and conversations in primarily liberal newspapers and television stations that don't mention race are ample evidence of this as well. There are liberals who dismiss policy differences as racist, but to say such actions are "THE liberal tactic" is dishonest and frankly, it just means that you're playing the victim.
    Horse****. It IS a liberal tactic...employed not just by this congressman but by SEVERAL congressman who used the Tea Party boobeyman to try and scare folks and rouse the black vote and blame all their ills on a small group of recently elected congreessmen who have ONE stated goal...smaller more effective government that is fiscally responsible. And instead of calling out those black congressmen for their OBVIOUS race baiting tactics the left leaning folks (and especially evidenced here) defend, pretend, and deny, instead of saying..."you know what...I dont like the Tea Party folks either but those comments were straight up bull****." But no...instead you have people here saying "what part is not true?" and "well...he doesnt mean ALL" and more of the typical limp defense of an obviosly corrupt argument.

  5. #735
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    By you repeating your dismissal does nothing to refute that liberals have a stake in controlling the black community for their votes. Your assertion that the disgusting liberal tactic to smear anyone in disagreement with Obama as a racist, including a grass roots movement centered around taxation as racist is non existent is dishonest.

    j-mac
    If you have a problem with the President's policies, you have every right to speak out against those policies. However, I would expect you'd stick to the subject at hand - the policies only - and condemn those who stray off topic. Are you doing that here or are you merely attempting to sling mud back at the other side of the political divide and not calling out those elements within your own party who have strayed off topic?

  6. #736
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Horse****. It IS a liberal tactic...employed not just by this congressman but by SEVERAL congressman who used the Tea Party boobeyman to try and scare folks and rouse the black vote and blame all their ills on a small group of recently elected congreessmen who have ONE stated goal...smaller more effective government that is fiscally responsible. And instead of calling out those black congressmen for their OBVIOUS race baiting tactics the left leaning folks (and especially evidenced here) defend, pretend, and deny, instead of saying..."you know what...I dont like the Tea Party folks either but those comments were straight up bull****." But no...instead you have people here saying "what part is not true?" and "well...he doesnt mean ALL" and more of the typical limp defense of an obviosly corrupt argument.
    I agree the current tactic from the DNC is to pull the race card, a strategy as old as the hills...divide and conquer and the Repubs fall for it every time with their tails between their legs..it'a real shame.

  7. #737
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Actually, according to a recent survey conducted by the American Political Science Association as discussed in this article from the WashingtonTimes.com:
    Seriously? Seriously, you use this as some sort of defense? I would be embarrassed to try and present this as evidence.So, it's not just Rep. Carson who holds this view about some elements within the Tea Party movement.
    Two people making a baseless accusation makes it factual? Is this sort of like adding two positive numbers always creates a positive number? Do you know how many groups I could find that would state that blacks are inferior? If I find two of them, that makes it factual?

    See commentary by theplaydrive in post #723.
    You do realize that he was agreeing with my rebuttle of your point?

    Again, see commentary in post #723. Furthermore, if people within a certain political party are still conducting themselves in a dispicable manner today, wouldn't you want to call them out for it no matter when it happens? It's like saying earmarks shouldn't be allow yet one party continues to use it despite calls to stop the practise by both the opposing political party and the people.
    Would I want to condemn people who might be part of a group that long ago did something stupid? No, absolutely not. Why would I want to do that? Are you saying that people today are responsible for what others did perhaps even before they were born?

    If you haven't read or heard the entire serman, then you really have no right to an opinion on the matter. If on the other hand, you have then I have to question how you can still come away thinking anything Rev. Wright said was untrue? Nonetheless, you still didn't answer the question at hand, towit, who really planted the video (snippet) of that sermon? Someone within the Republican party of a Democrat out to win at any cost by planting the seeds of racism? Regardless of who did it, it was wrong because the sermon wasn't a condemnation of America overall, but rather a condemnation of the atrosites committed by this nation's government over the years towhich slavery was just one aspect.
    I saw it all. I do not wish to discuss the sermon here so I'll just add that no, I do not believe it was right to say that we simply got what we deserved.

    Glad we can agree. And with that as a framework for concilation, can we not agree that this very topic is one of those that has been taken way out of context?
    No, Carson is a U.S. Congressman. We can not just fluff aside when they say something so inflammatory, especially when said out of nothing but hate for people different that he is.

    To that last part in bold, I agree. Which makes the entire racial argument that Blacks voted for Obama just because he was Black all the more odd considering as you well pointed out those same Black voters likely would have voted for Hillary or even John Edwards had he not fallen prey to inmoral behavior.
    Many did vote for Obama because he was black. As I said though, that in itself does not make a racist. I disagree with the accusations that it was racism. If a Congressman made that accusation, I would have no problem in calling him out for it. Is it possible there was a small minority that only voted because he was black and would never vote for a white person? Perhaps but it's not worth discussing.

    See the linked article above on the APSA survey and get back to me on that.
    Sorry, what "Several" college professors think is worthless. I wonder if I interview those at a NASCAR race, what they would think.

    Again, the survey says...
    Your standard for a survey is pretty lax.

    And if you truly feel that strong about not having "instittutionalized racist organizations being a part of of our government," I suggest you start researching the validity of the claims being rendered against the Tea Party membership and vote accordingly come 2012 for those House seats that are up for re-election.
    I have, they are overwhelming bogus.

    To this we 100% agree. So, why are you fighting so hard to defend what appears to be the indefensable?
    No, you do not agree. I've seen no condemnation from you about the racist organization that is the CBC. You are the one defending the indefensible. You seem, no, you are saying that baseless, bigoted, hate filled speech should be excused away if it comes from people you support.

  8. #738
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Horse****. It IS a liberal tactic...employed not just by this congressman but by SEVERAL congressman who used the Tea Party boobeyman to try and scare folks and rouse the black vote and blame all their ills on a small group of recently elected congreessmen who have ONE stated goal...smaller more effective government that is fiscally responsible. And instead of calling out those black congressmen for their OBVIOUS race baiting tactics the left leaning folks (and especially evidenced here) defend, pretend, and deny, instead of saying..."you know what...I dont like the Tea Party folks either but those comments were straight up bull****." But no...instead you have people here saying "what part is not true?" and "well...he doesnt mean ALL" and more of the typical limp defense of an obviosly corrupt argument.
    Nah, it's not a liberal tactic. Like I said, some liberals do it and you guys are just extending that to the entire liberal population. That tells me one of two things: 1. You're either being purposely dishonest. OR 2. You don't know a diverse amount of liberals.

    Like I said, the hundreds of threads on this board with no mention of race in addition to the thousands of articles, editorials and conversations in/on liberal newspapers and television stations are ample evidence of this.

  9. #739
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The problem is that it isn't a "liberal tactic" - that's what I'm trying to explain to you. As I have already said several times, discussions about race can and do coexist with discussions about policy issues. The hundreds of threads on this board about policy with no mention of race are ample evidence of this. The hundreds/thousands of editorials, articles and conversations in primarily liberal newspapers and television stations that don't mention race are ample evidence of this as well. There are liberals who dismiss policy differences as racist, but to say such actions are "THE liberal tactic" is dishonest and frankly, it just means that you're playing the victim.
    Exactly. It's cheap to make the actions of some the official actions of a group overall. Are there liberals that throw around "RACIST" like rice at a wedding? Sure there are but they hardly make an entire group of people guilty of the same.

    Not that you can tell it here, but I don't think a forum like this is representive of people in general, I figure the majority of "liberals" do not support that tactic.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 09-05-11 at 12:57 PM.

  10. #740
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    If you have a problem with the President's policies, you have every right to speak out against those policies. However, I would expect you'd stick to the subject at hand - the policies only - and condemn those who stray off topic. Are you doing that here or are you merely attempting to sling mud back at the other side of the political divide and not calling out those elements within your own party who have strayed off topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Horse****. It IS a liberal tactic...employed not just by this congressman but by SEVERAL congressman who used the Tea Party boobeyman to try and scare folks and rouse the black vote and blame all their ills on a small group of recently elected congreessmen who have ONE stated goal...smaller more effective government that is fiscally responsible. And instead of calling out those black congressmen for their OBVIOUS race baiting tactics the left leaning folks (and especially evidenced here) defend, pretend, and deny, instead of saying..."you know what...I dont like the Tea Party folks either but those comments were straight up bull****." But no...instead you have people here saying "what part is not true?" and "well...he doesnt mean ALL" and more of the typical limp defense of an obviosly corrupt argument.
    Same goes for you and all others who are quick to strike back at Liberals for calling out racial hatred within the opposing party. Why is it so hard to believe that there are members within the Tea Party movement who are racist especially when an independent entity outside the political mainstream has shown it to be true? I can accept that there very likely are some racist among Democrats in Congress, some of which might be Black, i.e., Rep. Maxine Waters may well be one of them. Or it could be she's just an outspoken advocate for equality within the African American community moreso within her district. Considering that most people on both sides of the political divide - Blacks and Whites - all agree with recent reporting that unemployment is highest among African Americans, can you blame her for seeking support for Black neighborhoods or Black businesses?

    I've always been a firm believer that if one goes looking for racism behind every syllabol spoken by a person be he White or Black, we'll never be able to move past the very thing we all agree needs to die out in this country.

Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •